Castrol motorcycle oil at Walmart. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed today that my local WM is stocking Castrol part-synthetic motorcycle oil in 20w-50 and 10w-40 ($5.97 / qt.) All of the Mobil 1 m/c oil was removed from the shelves. There were some bottles of Valvoline conventional m/c and ATV oil left. It would seem that WM is changing their line-up.

Anyone else seeing this locally?

Was it the Actevo stuff?

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9045377&contentId=7079437

MCO_ActevoX-TRA.jpg

Link to TDS:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...ra_4T_06390.pdf

Pour point of only -18C? This can't be for real...

Yeah, it was the Actevo Extra. They didn't have the weight I use in the Victory (20w-40), but I'm tempted to order some online and try it for an OCI and compare it to the Vic oil I've been using. The Vic oil lab results were about as good as you can get. . .would be an interesting comparison.

I'm not impressed with the specs at all. Especially the HTHS of only 3.7 for 20W-50. And the poor VI numbers. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'm not impressed with the specs at all. Especially the HTHS of only 3.7 for 20W-50.

As is typical of Castrol, they don't report actual HT/HS. They report the minimum required for a given SAE grade. We've been complaining about the uselessness of Castrol spec sheets for years now.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Assuming it's the same formula, from what I have read on BITOG, It's not that great.

The same formula as what?

Actevo 10w40 is the factory fill for Triumph now....I know it does not hold up long against sheering. Must be a decent anti wear package though since its the "break in oil" they use.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Assuming it's the same formula, from what I have read on BITOG, It's not that great.

The same formula as what?

The same formulation oil that was submitted for UOAs and posted here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The same formulation oil that was submitted for UOAs and posted here on BITOG.

Is it the one from a CanAm?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rol#Post3142697

It certainly sheared quickly, but it didn't seem to cause any harm...

Yep, that was one, it was only in the bike for 2K miles. There have been others over the years as well. Just not a big castrol fan

Any sightings of Power 4T Racing/Power RS Racing 10W-50 (not to be confused with 20W-50 V-Twin)?

Last edited:
Not at my wal mart. I used it in my Triumph for a bit and it sheered quickly too. If I get oil from Wal Mart, I get the Valvoline 4t synthetic 20w50. Seems to hold up much better.

if you buy your oil from walmart (and why not usually its the cheapest by far - ex: my trucks oil -> walmart m1 0w30 25.99 but at autozone across the parking lot 36.99 - drive less than 2 blocks to save 11 bucks) at least buy something thats good...like SRT

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Actevo 10w40 is the factory fill for Triumph now....I know it does not hold up long against sheering. Must be a decent anti wear package though since its the "break in oil" they use.

+1 They do use it for break in and then spec the PowerRS 4T 10w50. I have been using that in my Triumph with excellent results.

See my Speedmaster liked the 10w50 for about 1,500 miles then it got real notchy in its shifting. So I don't use it anymore. The valvoline syn 4t holds up better IMHO and I have even used VR1 synthetic in it and it liked it as well.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
if you buy your oil from walmart (and why not usually its the cheapest by far - ex: my trucks oil -> walmart m1 0w30 25.99 but at autozone across the parking lot 36.99 - drive less than 2 blocks to save 11 bucks) at least buy something thats good...like SRT

I'm still amazed at the difference in oil prices between Walmart and Autozone. Speaking of SRT, anybody tried the semi-syn T5 10W-40. It seems to be showing up on shelves around here lately.

Speaking of SRT, anybody tried the semi-syn T5 10W-40. It seems to be showing up on shelves around here lately.

There is also T5 15w-40 syn blend now available, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back