locked inside storage facility after hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I called my local storage facility and asked about whether or not the gates still allow people to get out after gate hours. The guy I talked to seemed to have some sarcasm in his voice and he said I would get locked in if I wasn't out of their by 10. I decided to call another location and they said the gate would let me out but wouldn't let me back in. (which makes sense). I like to go night fishing with a generator and I have to get back by 9:30ish to have all my stuff unloaded in time to get out which I would much rather just show up right around 10 and leave just after I'm done unloading everything. So I guess I just call the cops then to let me out of the facility if im their shortly after closing? I hate it when people can't get you a serious answer. Isn't that a little ridiculous that the gates would not operate to let you out after gate hours? I understand not letting you in but locking you inside?

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose the true answer is to try.
wink.gif

It's a gate. If your car is stuck in, climb over the gate, and call a cab.

I assume the rules are pretty clear in your lease.

Have you ever been stuck on an escalator in a power outage?

You know the rules are so they can have some semblance of security and order to make the place attractive to rent.

Hello, I see the main question here is about getting serious answers to questions. I understand.

I had a ticket to be dismissed (no insurance card in the car-had it at home) and the retarded troll who was also the court room's paper handler told me to "sit down here" when I was supposed to get on the quick moving line I saw against the wall. That stupid retard cost me a 90 minutes. And you know he was somebody's relative.

It was, however, interesting to see the various charges/complaints in the small town court room.

A POINT I'D LIKE TO SHARE WITH BITOGERS: Do NOT get DWI'D. Those cases were NOT dismissed or reduced. They were treated most seriously. They were also expensive. Kira

If you lock me in, I will do WHATEVER I have to do to get out, up to and including smashing a gate open with a vehicle!

I think they have a new guy working their and he probably didn't know and just gave me some [censored] answer. The workers know me on a first name basis at this place.

For the facility to offer any sort of security they would have to lock the gate whether you're inside or not. Imagine a thief staying inside after the gate is locked and then opening the gate to allow his buddies with their trucks to come inside to clean the place out. I know I would never rent from a facility like that.

The only legal issue here is whether you read and understood your rental agreement. If you don't agree with it then don't rent there.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
If you lock me in, I will do WHATEVER I have to do to get out, up to and including smashing a gate open with a vehicle!

So when did you do that?

I rented at a gated storage facility years ago. It had no entry after 10 PM for most customers. It would allow you to enter just before 10 PM but I could punch the gate code in and get out past 10 PM. The manager eventually gave me 24 hour access. Appearance is everything if he makes exceptions on a case by case basis.

Originally Posted By: Kira
...A POINT I'D LIKE TO SHARE WITH BITOGERS: Do NOT get DWI'D. Those cases were NOT dismissed or reduced. They were treated most seriously. They were also expensive. Kira

This is very much so. I know someone who went through this. He described it as a real money maker for the system. Fees here, fees there, everybody had their hand out, right down to the folks running the obligatory driving safety course. IIRC it took a year to clear and he was some thousands of dollars poorer.

...and it's done so automatically. The "system" has had practice (no crime in that). And don't construe my comments as having objections with DWI laws. Driving impaired absolutely should be illegal and has been forever.

But it's true they want your money. One charged/convicted fellow listened to the long list of fines and fees. Buried in the list was 12 days of community service. While I'm not certain how much value there is to community service, There's more value in money. K

I see TV commercials where they say a DWI can cost you $10,000.
* Tow Truck Driver
* Lawyer
* Fines

I laugh because a guy could build a very nice bar in his basement for $10,000

Yea I don't believe you can get locked in. I'm sure you have a code for the gate - the same one you have to get in probably? It works on the way out too. these things are failsafe, like a fire door. There may be hours where you are locked out, but they can't lock you in.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Like someone else said, what are the terms in the lease contract you signed? Those items should be in there.

It didn't say anything. I read it all.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Yea I don't believe you can get locked in. I'm sure you have a code for the gate - the same one you have to get in probably? It works on the way out too. these things are failsafe, like a fire door. There may be hours where you are locked out, but they can't lock you in.

You just pull up to the gate to get out and it opens. There is no code to punch in to get out, only in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back