MIL-H-5606 vs. Dexron III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a bit of trouble with a Rotary Lift brand rolling jack and am encountering conflicting information in the operating manuals.

The Rotary Lift four post alignment rack on which the rolling jack is mounted is powered by an Italian built "Global" power head which is serviced with Dexron III. The operator's manual for the rack specifies that the rolling jack should also be serviced with Dexron III.

The operator's manual for the rolling jack specifies it should be serviced with MIL-H-5606, which is also dyed red. I suppose the rack's manual is trying to say Dexron can be used for topping off, while the jack's manual specifies MIL-H-5606 as a factory fill and for refilling.

How great are the benefits of using MIL-H-5606 over Dexron III? I'm going to assume the only benefits of using Dexron III would be cost and availability.

If I order the MIL-H-5606 from one of the jobbers that supplies me it will be a 5 gallon bucket, $$$, the jack's capacity is about 2-1/2 qts. I suppose I could stop by an airport and try to buy it, $$$.

I have cleaned the pump and reservoir out completely by hand and they now contain Mobil Dexron IIIh.

I would say the real difference is that the Dex will have "friction" properties in the additives, due to it being a transmission fluid, where as the 5606 is purely a hydraulic fluid.

I doubt it will make any noticeable difference, but I can't comment from experience.

Let's not forget that ATF IS a special hydraulic fluid.

The MIL 5606 is nothing more than a mineral base hydraulic oil with a minimum 100C viscosity spec of 4.9 cSt.

DexronIII has a 100C viscosity spec of 7.5 cSt.

Unless this system is used for fire prevention, Run DexIIIH or any Dexron/Mercon fluid without worry.

Last edited:
We used MIL-H-5606 for aircraft hydraulic systems in the Navy. Probably overkill in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back