WHY leave trailer hitch on !

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! what a thread, who knew... never gave it much thought either way. Pretty good entertainment while I ate lunch though.
I take mine out, just looks better. Unless I forget
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Yeah, because everyone lives in a big city, that is important.

supton- no, but those who do live in a big city are probably more likely to be involved in a rear-ender- that's all I was saying. As for why a trailer hitch has been beneficial for me, I've already gone over that.

Originally Posted By: whip
I can't stop laughing at the way Moving2 presents his opinion as fact, but disregards all other opinions as rubbish. At least it's entertaining.

I can't stop laughing at the way whip totally avoids responding to my posts directed at him, but then jumps back in to throw in ad-hominems...while continuing to avoid responding to posts that expose flaws in his "logic". I wish it were more entertaining, but alas...

whip- I believe I've already addressed this with you, but here you go since you seem to have a short term memory:

...have there been studies to prove this?

Originally Posted By: moving2

It is anecdotal evidence presented as my observations and experience over 12 years driving both with and without a hitch on busy LA freeways where tailgating is quite common. Drivers tailgate me less often, and leave more space when following me and when coming to a stop behind my vehicle; the difference is pretty noticeable. You may not be one of those drivers who is more cautious around a hitch, but my observation is that a lot of other drivers are. And, while I can understand your need for a scientific study, because the difference was readily apparent in my experience, that's all I need to know to leave the hitch on; not to mention the protection it has offered my vehicle in 2 accidents- see above.

If you're truly interested in obtaining statistically significant data, please do let me know what you find.

If you read that as presenting "facts" vs. explaining why I leave my hitch on based on my experience driving with it on and off, then might I politely suggest you work on your reading comprehension.
grin2.gif

Again, the difference between us here is that I've responded to each of your points and I've pointed out specific faults in your arguments, while you haven't succeeded in doing the same; on the contrary, you've not-so-slyly dodged my questions. You're not fooling anyone by running away from this:

I never made any claims about attachments on the rear of my vehicle affecting how those following me drive.

You did say this:
So based on your experience, you would tailgate me if I taped pillows to my bumper? [...] You said a hitch makes people back off because of the increased danger. Conversely, it would make sense that a soft target would make people drive closer because of the reduced danger. Based on your anecdotal evidence, that seems perfectly logical. How is that grasping at straws?

...and then refuse to address the lack of "perfect logic" I've pointed out in your argument. Again, I'm all ears in hearing you actually address this.

...still waiting...LOL.
crackmeup2.gif

I leave my Ball/Pintle draw bar in, I do have a cut tennis ball to hold the grease on the ball. Makes it more visible.

I leave it in because I tow a lot, And it weighs 80lbs, I hope nobody ever runs into it with their vehicle or shin.

Because this is America and I can do so as I please.
smile.gif
When I had my truck it was in there to keep people from tailgating and it definitely worked because when they're real close and you tap the brakes so the lights turn on they get real scared. Watch where you're walking. Also it was locked to my truck so nobody would mess with it if they walked into it

I used to remove mine every time i was done towing a trailer. But i am in agreement with the "extra protection crowd". I leave it in for those who are inconsiderate of road ettiquette. IE= Tailgaters.
In fact theres a product out there that combines a hitch with an energy absorbing synthetic rubber bumper that is designed for such a thing.
If you think its ugly, and should be illegal, make sure to thank the next tailgater you see in traffic.

That's so odd. I can safely say that not once while following a pickup with a hitch have I ever altered my habits in any way, nor has it made me "real scared" when they apply the brakes.

I think you think a lot more of your hitch than is warranted.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
When I had my truck it was in there to keep people from tailgating and it definitely worked because when they're real close and you tap the brakes so the lights turn on they get real scared. Watch where you're walking. Also it was locked to my truck so nobody would mess with it if they walked into it

Had a car parallel park too close behind me and had to "coax" the other car back just so I could get out. Not a scratch on my truck, but the other guys license plate and lower bumper got it. Never thought about using my hitch like that. I've got the tri ball hitch.

Don't walk into the hitch, and try not to trip up the kerb.

It's pretty simple...both are there in plain sight.

It's too bad I didn't see that, I would have called the police for willful destruction of someone else's property. Around here they call that vandalism.

Originally Posted By: Whizbanger
Had a car parallel park too close behind me and had to "coax" the other car back just so I could get
out. Not a scratch on my truck, but the other guys license plate and lower bumper got it. Never thought about using my hitch like that. I've got the tri ball hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back