Too much tcw3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a perfect syringe at the grocery store to dispense the tcw3. I used on my last fill up and it looks like the 1oz mark is way more than that. I held it up to the 16oz bottle and it just seemed like it was way off. I planned to actually measure it before my next fill up.

Cut to the other day. I am on my way home and think maybe the car is running rough intermittently. Wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not. When I got home I listened to it idling for a couple minutes. Sounded fine. Revved it a little. Still ok. Revved it a little more and it sputtered and died. I tried to start it and it wouldn't start.

This morning I pulled one of the plugs and its all wet and smells like the supertech tcw3 I use.

Was this caused by too much tcw3? If so how do I proceed?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

How much TCW3 are you putting in?
How big is your fuel tank?
What car are you driving?
What is your driving style?
Where are you driving? City or Highway? A mix?

I've put in 5 fluid oz into a 15 gallon tank before, with no issues.

If you want to dilute it, go fill up again.

In high enough doses it will lower the octane rating of your fuel, it is MADE for 2 cycle engines.
But you are looking for 500:1 or closer to 700:1 ratio of fuel to TCW3, so it shouldn't matter.
(Unless you poured in a couple quarts or something.)

A 15 gallon tank is 1900 ounces. Ideally 3 to 5 ounces of TCW3 is the rule of thumb so an ounce or two either way is not going to kill the engine. If it drives OK, just fill the tank to dilute.

It won't start. I will see if I can measure it tonight but I think I may have put almost 8oz in.

Originally Posted By: Stregone
It won't start. I will see if I can measure it tonight but I think I may have put almost 8oz in.

8 ounces into 19 gallons of fuel might be a bit much however I don't think it would affect the cars ability to start. There's gotta be something else going on.

It's remotely possible that it did not mix in, and the engine is trying to run on a slug of oil.

I'd use some starting fluid and try to get it running. Then dilute the fuel/oil mixture.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
It's remotely possible that it did not mix in, and the engine is trying to run on a slug of oil.

Very unlikely. Look for another cause for not starting.

I think CUJET is right, Did you drop the TCW-3 before or after filling? In my experience when you pour it before just drop to the bottom and sticks there like a blob, I know it is counter intuitive but that has been my personal experience specially in cold days and if you are lucky like me the pump just gulps the blob or part of it and you get that result, I have learned to pour it after filling the tank or pre mix it in a 1 gallon fuel tank and pour it in, the latter method is the most cumbersome but if you for any reason use one of the thick TCW-3 in winter that has been my only solution. JMHO

Nonsense!
Doesn't anyone else here find this just a little bit hard to believe?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Nonsense!

The idea that half a quart of tc-w3 diluted into a full tank of fuel causing a no start condition is certainly a stretch for sure.
There has to be something else.
Is there a check engine light? Fuel filter requiring replacement maybe. Fuel pump possibly shot?
The addition of tc-w3 isn't the cause even though the condition presented itself at the same time it was added.

Fuel filter may need replacing. Though is it normal for it to smell so strongly? I couldn't smell gas on the plug at all.

Also the check engine light is on. But torque isn't showing any fault codes. It is a 1998 buick lesabre.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Nonsense!

Yes! so it was that the earth was round and not the center of the universe, and it is round (sort of round) and is not the center of the universe, so maybe just maybe it is "not" nonsense what it is happening to me in one of our cars, if it is not happening to you it doesn't mean that doesn't happen to others. There are people who win millions in the lottery and others marry models, just not all of us, but it actually happens to a few not to the masses.

I once bought a 16-oz container of TCW3 and the top broke when I first opened it, so I just dumped it all in my 12-gal tank. I did not notice any difference whatsoever in how my car ran.

Last edited:
This is the pic of the plug.

It is only about 2 months old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stregone
This is the pic of the plug.

It is only about 2 months old.

The gap on that plug looks mighty generous. I'm curious what the gap measures.

I was thinking the same thing when I looked at the pic again after posting it. I need to go up to the store to get a new plug (I cracked the insulator on that one when I removed it), and will pick up a gap checker too. Unfortunately we are having a really miserable wet snow atm
frown.gif
I am so done with all this freaking snow. It was 60 degrees when I took that picture just the other day! and now more snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back