Help with 1 wheel out of Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craftsman 917.289272 (YTS4000)

Not sure how it happened as it is not my mower but one wheel is way out of alignment. (PIC Below) I have looked at it and do not see anything obviously bent and would like some opinions from some who are probably more experienced than I am before I just go removing parts. From looking at the parts diagram it looks like the left spindle and/or drag link would be the likely suspects. If so is there a way to check without removal and if so is there a way to repair or will they need replacing? I am thinking the left as this is the way the wheels look when the steering wheel is at the straight position. If I turn it so the left wheel is straight then the right wheel is way out and the steering wheel looks like your attempting to turn.
Thanks in advance

xqfhi0.jpg

Its got to be something bent or loose. Can you have someone hold the steering wheel while you try and turn the wheel to be straight?

Its a 917 model so a Husqvarna.

Appears the front axle with spindle is bent backwards. Steering rod will also be bent. Something hit hard with the left front wheel. Ed

Last edited:
Doesn't that main axle look bent? I can't tell, but it looks like it is from that picture when you look at the angle of the spindle and drag link along with the gap in the mower deck on the floor. There is also a potential that the gear sector holes are bent or broken too. Since the drag link is tied there, those are the first two I would check after verifying the axle and spindle aren't bent.

Get the wheels up in the air and see how much play is in the wheel. That should help you determine how far the steering is damaged.

Someone smacked a curb really hard.

Thanks to all who have replied. I probably will not get to go over to where it is at and look at it until Saturday. The more I look at the PIC the more it looks like the axel to me also. I thought I looked at it closely the other day but obviously not close enough.

Is that a stamped steel axle or cast iron? My friend had a Craftsman with a stamped front axle, and it was really flimsy. It bent a few times from hitting a rut or small hole. He tried straightening it and welding reinforcements on it but it just kept bending. The only long term fix would be swapping a cast iron axle in, much stronger. He also had other issues with the sector gears in it, they wore and kept jumping.

Got to check it out closer today. It appears to be the LH wheel spindle assembly. Looks like I can get a new one for about $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back