Best Jack Stands for home mechanic work??

Status
Not open for further replies.
D-I-Y work on small to medium cars only. I am favoring the US made 3 ton Hein-Warner stands sold by Northern Tool for ~$65 and others for slightly more. I like to save money but don't want to risk my life for a $30-$40 savings.

Other good choices??

Last edited:
I assume the HW model you're talking about is HW93503?
Gray Mfg has vehicle support stands (pin type) made in the US. I have model 7-T but I seem to remember this is a bought item for Gray from a mfg facility in GA.
NORCO Jack Stands are also made in the USA (pin type). I have model 81205.
US Jack has jack stands that are made in USA but are ratchet style. I bought my dad model D-41609.

Edit:
When I bought mine back in Nov-2011, here was the pricing breakdown. Prices should be better now.
Gray 7T $279
Gray 7TH $340
Norco 81205 $200
Norco 81208 $386
US Jack D-41609 $87
US Jack D-41610 $103
HW 93503 $77
HW 93506 $119
HW 93524 $321

Last edited:
Along with the stands, make pads for the feet out 3/4 plywood. These are essential on an asphalt drive way or dirt. No brands to recommend. The freebies I have dont have a wide enough base to be stable when fully extended. I use cribbing. Crossing alternate layers. Little piers. But I know what I'm doing, I used to do it building ships.Same principle, down scaled. I learned from two mentors, Archie Mendez, and Manuel Labor.
It is plane geometry, plain and simple
laugh.gif

Last edited:
The US Jack models are looking better. Made in Michigan and have a much larger base. I just wish they would repeat the promotional pricing they offered in 2012!

It looks like Black Hawk, Omega, and even Snap-On are now owned by Proto-Power which is part of Shinn-Fu America. My concern with buying foreign is that too many parts now come from countries with no concept of quality control or professional integrity.

From the U.S. Jack Co. facebook page:

About
U.S. Jack Company was founded in 1988 and manufactures 100% American made hydraulic jacks. We offer outstanding customer service, fast delivery, and high quality products at competitive pricing. All U.S. Jack products carry a one year warranty.

Mission
Our mission is to manufacture the highest quality 100 % American made hydraulic jack equipment and offer it at competitive prices. Our hydraulic jacks are not only for the casual user but for our U.S. Military forces as well. U.S. Jack is all about pride in American made products, keeping our fellow Americans working and supporting our troops with the highest quality products possible.

Company Overview

Did you know that U.S. Jack CO. is the only manufacturer remaining in the United States that produces 100% American made hydraulic jacks, long ram jacks, garage stands, port-a-power starter kits, and transmission jacks?

U.S. Jack Company was founded in 1988. The product designs and tooling were purchased from Auto Specialties Manufacturing when they discontinued their after-market business in 1988. Auto Specialties Manufacturing (AUSCO) had been producing automotive jacks and service equipment since the early 1930's. U.S. Jack Company has continued the tradition that AUSCO started of fine quality American made products. Limited parts inventory for some of the early AUSCO products are still available but becoming scarcer with each passing year. A full line of replacement parts and seal kits are readily available for today’s line up of U.S. Jack products.

Description

Today U.S. Jack works with a number of OEM accounts supplying specialized hydraulic jacks tailored to meet their needs. Our products are also sold through our network of service centers and established distributors which can be located from our web site using the map of the United States.

Approximately 93% of our business is under contract with the federal government either through our own contract with the General Services Administration (GSA) or contracts being fulfilled through a number of our customers, some of which include BAE Systems, Lockheed-Martin and Boeing Aerospace.

We take a great deal of pride in the work we do to support our troops with American made equipment. Supporting other small businesses within our community is another point of company pride.

All U.S. Jack products carry a one year warranty on material and workmanship and we have over 170 active authorized service centers across the United States.

Last edited:
I know everyone is just waiting for someone to mention Harbor Freight jack stands. I have a set of 3 ton jack stands from HF that have served me well over the past six years. Feel very comfortable having either of my vehicles on them. Are there some better made out there? I'm sure there are but for the price and as little as I use them, they're perfect for me.

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
I know everyone is just waiting for someone to mention Harbor Freight jack stands. I have a set of 3 ton jack stands from HF that have served me well over the past six years. Feel very comfortable having either of my vehicles on them. Are there some better made out there? I'm sure there are but for the price and as little as I use them, they're perfect for me.

I have the same, Bird sets on them during the winter months no problems
smile.gif

I also have three sets of Chinese stands and they work totally fine. Two of my sets appear to be from the same OEM that is rebranded by HF and many, many other companies.

My third set are the Torin ratcheting stands with a pin.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305225_200305225

I was simply pointing out that the Hein Werners aren't made in the USA anymore, so they aren't probably worth the price premium.

I also have no problems using my HF jack stands. Had it for several years already.

One limitation is that it does not lift very high especially if you have a SUV with long travel suspensions. On the highest setting, my Pathfinder's wheels are barely off the floor. The wheel needs to cone out dead horizontal. If I need the room to work, I usually go with my HF 6-ton set which gives a lot more clearance.

For normal sedans, the 3-ton set will work just fine.

Just assuming its made in the U.S. its absolutely top notch is just wrong.

Just assuming its made in the far east it's garbage is just as wrong.

Better check out the cloths on your back and the appliances, electronics you own.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Better check out the cloths on your back and the appliances, electronics you own.

Which is EXACTLY why I want to buy US made. There is no longer a US comsumer electronics industry. There is hardly a US major appliances industry (neglecting the foreign owned plants). There is no longer a US garmet industry. I have family members who cannot obtain decent paying blue collar jobs in the US because companies are forced to compete with other companies who are exploiting the cheap labor of impoverished peoples living in the world's developing countries.

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
Originally Posted By: jcwit

Which is EXACTLY why I want to buy US made. There is no longer a US comsumer electronics industry. There is hardly a US major appliances industry (neglecting the foreign owned plants). There is no longer a US garmet industry. I have family members who cannot obtain decent paying blue collar jobs in the US because companies are forced to compete with other companies who are exploiting the cheap labor of impoverished peoples living in the world's developing countries.

And just as I commented, just the fact it is "Made in the U.S.A." does not denote quality. To think otherwise is just plain folly.

All products are made to a price point, no matter where produced.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Along with the stands, make pads for the feet out 3/4 plywood. These are essential on an asphalt drive way or dirt. No brands to recommend. The freebies I have dont have a wide enough base to be stable when fully extended. I use cribbing. Crossing alternate layers. Little piers. But I know what I'm doing, I used to do it building ships.Same principle, down scaled. I learned from two mentors, Archie Mendez, and Manuel Labor.
It is plane geometry, plain and simple
laugh.gif

can you elaborate? my google skills are failing me for your pad concept.

I know everyone is just waiting for someone to mention Harbor Freight jack stands.

Its inevitable. Someone is looking for quality stuff and Horror Freight gets tossed into the mix.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I know everyone is just waiting for someone to mention Harbor Freight jack stands.

Its inevitable. Someone is looking for quality stuff and Horror Freight gets tossed into the mix.
lol.gif

Why not? They work well for me and have for 20 years now, but then I use them on compact to mid size cars, not semi tractors. Common sense to the fore front.

Living fugal has allowed me to retire at 58.

Last edited:
I legally retired at 48 and don't live especially frugal so how does that effect the price of air at gas stations?
You want to buy Horror Freight stuff thats your business but when some is looking for quality thats not the store to look for it.

It make no difference when anyone retired or how someone chooses to spend their money.
The OP said he was favoring American made and didn't mind spending a little more. He didn't ask how the US made products stack up against HF stuff.
IMO HF doesn't even belong in the thread.

Living frugal by buying from HF isn't going to make a lick of a difference in the amount of money you save for retirement.
In fact it could be just the opposite, buy cheap stuff and replace it numerous times vs buying quality once is a fools errand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back