Additive to reduce oil conumption i n1998 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I have the dreaded 1zz-fe engine from Toyota in my 1998 Corolla. It seems to be standard internet knowledge that these motors have some issues with the piston rings gumming up and allowing some oil blow through, thus causing high oil consumption. Mine isn't as bad as the worst. I used about quarts every 1500 miles (roughly). That is a lot, I realize, but some guys use a quart every 100-150 miles.

I am not going to tear this motor down and replace the piston rings. I am more or less going to "run it til she pukes". Until then, is there any kind of additive I can add to maybe help free up the rings or reduce consumption. I am already running high viscosity motor oil. I have read about the MMO and Kreen. I've already heard about dropping some kerosen or MMO in the cylinder and letting it sit a day or two then run it. What's everyone else's opinions??

Last edited:
Sea foam is worth a shot. Have the vacuum suck it down into the combustion chambers, let it sit then let the smoke fly.

Last edited:
Seems like a good candidate for cheap 40 HD. Honestly, if I had an oil burner, and I was going to run it until it died, I'd run the thickest, cheapest oil I could get.

I had luck on a 2.7l Chrysler that was sludged with rislone oil treatment and amsoil engine flush. I was using mostly syn oils though as the consumption was less than yours. PU, maxlife, & super tech. after about 3 short change intervals (2-3k miles) rislone in all 3 and amsoil at change of 2, the oil light stoppes coming on at highway speeds, 60+ and never came back on again.

The car was totalled about 20k miles after that though so don't have long term update.

I would do a seafoam overnight piston soak. Then Italian tune up. Then switch to Rotella T5 10w30 or 15w40 Do a seafoam treatment every 30,000 miles and you might surprise yourself how long the engine lasts.

Last edited:
Our 2001 Impala with the 3.4 Liter engine was using a quart of Mobil Drive Clean 5000 10W-30 every 1000 miles. I now run GC and the oil consumption is less than a quart per 8000 miles. It took about 300 miles for the oil consumption to stop when I first switched to GC.

1 qt in 1500 miles; nothing i loose sleep over.

That is about my consumption on my !echo!

I buy on sale rebate oil and just keep pouring it in.

Ok I need to update from my original post, and clarify some statements. I was typing on the cell phone and got ahead of myself in some places. I burn TWO quarts every 1000-1500 miles. If I stay in my daily commute to and from work which is flat, 8 miles one way going 55 mpgh. I can stretch it out. But when I get on the interstate and go up hills and whatnot, the consumption goes up. am running cheap Auto Zone 15w40 motor oil in it. Seems to hold up longer than anything else

Now for some of these acronyms y'all are using, please elaborate lol.

GC?
Italian Tune Up?

I assume to seafoam the pistons just drop some down the chamber into the cylinder right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
This was my experience with the oil thirsty 1ZZ-FE: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2487632

Plenty of room for experimentation. Good luck.

Glad to see someone else with my issue and the same motor. So after reading your thread, it seems like a good soak in Kreen over MMO does the job. Have you found which oil helps the most? I am trying to avoid expensive synthetic oils if possible, since it does burn quite a bit don't want to be shelling out a ton of money all the time. Also, I saw on the thread where someone used a Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner, have you experimented with that?

Last question, were you pouring the Kreen down your chamber, then suctioning it back or out just starting it with it in there?

Last edited:
Do a piston soak. If you can get Kreen then use it. It will dissolve any ring coking. Pour it in the plug holes and leave it overnight. Then crank the engine over by hand. Don't bother trying to suction it out. Turn the engine over a few times by hand.
Then I'd seafoam it thru a vacuum line and take it out for a good run. Might be a good idea to Kreen the engine oil at the same time. Then change the oil and monitor consumption from there.
At this point you don't have much to lose. I e used mmo for the vacuum line before but in my experience seafoam cleans better.
I've got an inverse oiler on my car so I don't need to clean the top end anymore.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
2 bottles Auto-Rx Plus in a non ester oil (new filter) and run it 6-8,000 miles. If the engine runs cold fix that first.

My engine has never ran cold. It actually warms up pretty quickly. So your suggestion is t add the Auto RX to some new motor oil and run it for a decent amount of time?

I'd try a piston soak as already mentioned, and if you want to try an additive to clean things up give MMO or Kreen a shot.

With regards to a piston soak, I recently worked with Amsoil power foam again and I have to say it does one heck of a job cleaning up carbon. Next piston soak I do on an OPE I'm going to use that. I'd use it in a car w/oo hesitation but I don't need a piston soak.

The original GM Top Engine cleaner is one of the best in the business for piston soak, that would be my first choice.
Chrysler has a good one, so good in fact i see the local Subaru dealer buying it. (true)
Kreen and MMO may work okay but it will probably take a little longer.

A 15 min idle flush with Berrymans Chemtool will clean the rings quickly as will kreen over a short OCI, it may not all the junk and carbon but it should get a significant amount.

ARX will take longer than the car and maybe the driver will survive if at all, it will clean your wallet pretty good however.
This is just my personal experience using all these product at one time or another over the last 40 years as a working mechanic.

Originally Posted By: BrettG
I used about quarts every 1500 miles (roughly).

Actually, it's not bad at all for 1998 1ZZ-FE. How many miles? City or hwy? What oils did you use and what OCIs?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd try a piston soak as already mentioned, and if you want to try an additive to clean things up give MMO or Kreen a shot.

With regards to a piston soak, I recently worked with Amsoil power foam again and I have to say it does one heck of a job cleaning up carbon. Next piston soak I do on an OPE I'm going to use that. I'd use it in a car w/oo hesitation but I don't need a piston soak.

Sounds like a plan to me.

GC = German Castrol 0W-30. This one oil is different than others. On the front of the bottle it will say "European Formula". On the back somewhere near the bar code it will say "made in germany".

Italian tune up = taking it out and running it hard with high RPM's to blow out any gunk in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back