Mobil-1 M-102 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
After about 7 months and 4300 miles, no anomalies or media tears. Seems like a robust product. Pleats are nice and even except at the seam.

Used a hacksaw to cut it open.

20140323_123321.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

You could've doubled the FCI and it would probably still look just as good.

I know. The truck is still under warranty, and I am supposed to change every 6 months.

Ever thought about using a Fram Ultra? Less expensive then the M1 (unless you are finding the M1's on sale) and rated for 15K miles of use.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Ever thought about using a Fram Ultra? Less expensive then the M1 (unless you are finding the M1's on sale) and rated for 15K miles of use.

I bought the Mobils online at AAP using a coupon code, so I got them for a good price. I've got one left. After that I will try a FrU, as well as a Puro Syn.

I do run FrU on my wife's Odyssey (see sig). I guess it is working ok
smile.gif

Maybe in 20 years we'll have miniature cameras in our engines and filters so we can see them in action
smile.gif

Just for future reference, using a hacksaw to cut open the tube contaminates the media with metal shavings, preventing an unadulterated inspection.

That's why they make special cutters (similar to a pipe cutter).

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Just for future reference, using a hacksaw to cut open the tube contaminates the media with metal shavings, preventing an unadulterated inspection.

That's why they make special cutters (similar to a pipe cutter).

Yes, I'm aware. Can't seem to bring myself to pulling the trigger on one, though....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back