Bring Back IROC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching IROC clips on YouTube, along with the IMSA Kelly American Challenge, and I believe a new series should be formed out of the remnants of those two series. Run a season of 10-14 races, blend the track demographic to include everything from high-banked superspeedways to high-speed road courses, and everything in between. Invite Champions of NASCAR, F1, IndyCar, CART, and other sanctioning bodies that I may not be aware of. I figure the 2015 Mustang, with its IRS and Coyote 5.0, would be a great car to use, or maybe even a slightly tuned EcoBoost 4 cyl. I would like to see uniform cars, so that wins and competition are based off of driver talent. Of course the icing on the cake would be an automotive related sponsor, such as Bosch, or Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic engine oil.
smile.gif

I agree. I personally liked the IROC racing.....but not enough people paid to watch it and sponsors weren't lining up either which led to it's demise.

I want to see some dirt oval action between Jimmy Johnson and Sebastian Vettel

Originally Posted By: JDW
Old enough here to remember IROC back in its good days
wink.gif

Same here, and my fave versions were the EARLY ones set up like Trans Am series cars replete with Minilite wheels, NOT the tube framed, chromed steel Aero-wheeled 'baby NASCAR mini-stokers' of the latter years.

The current F1 (and WRC for that matter) stars would be WAAAYYY too busy to be able to take part in this, and even IF they were not their teams/sponsors would NEVER give them permission to do this due to liability/risk factors and such.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: JDW
Old enough here to remember IROC back in its good days
wink.gif

Same here, and my fave versions were the EARLY ones set up like Trans Am series cars replete with Minilite wheels, NOT the tube framed, chromed steel Aero-wheeled 'baby NASCAR mini-stokers' of the latter years.

The current F1 (and WRC for that matter) stars would be WAAAYYY too busy to be able to take part in this, and even IF they were not their teams/sponsors would NEVER give them permission to do this due to liability/risk factors and such.

Yes, the later IROC was formulated to favor NASCAR drivers. I think in the late 80's the races were all on ovals but one at Mid-Ohio.

I remember the first IROC in 1973 used Porsche 911 Carrera's. Mark Donohue won that one. That formula obviously favored sports car drivers, especially ones that knew how to drive the wicked rear-engine 911. The IROC that was based on the production second-gen Camaro was my favorite. But it seemed like that series had a ringer car. Every race was won by the black car #7, regardless of who drove it.

I'd love to see a slightly tuned production car be used, with racing brakes added, sort of like what they did with the Kelly American Challenge

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Doog, think you are confusing IROC with NASCAR!!!!

No NASCAR is 5 minutes.......zzzzzzzzzzzz
lol.gif

I'd love to see it and would actually go to the races held on road courses.
Remeber the IROC 911s and later Camaros?
This was great racing and measured the drivers' skills and cajones, while most racing is more a measure of a team's bankroll.

I think NASCAR needs to have an invitational road race like they did in the 90s at the Suzuka Circuit in Japan. Except maybe have it in Laguna Seca or Circuit of the Americas.

The only way a new IROC series would work is if it was done in the off season. The old IROC failed because towards the end, it was only NASCAR drivers. I can't imagine any possible scenario where races could be scheduled that would allow drivers from multiple series to attend during the season. The IROC that is held in Europe is just one weekend.

Originally Posted By: whip
The only way a new IROC series would work is if it was done in the off season. The old IROC failed because towards the end, it was only NASCAR drivers. I can't imagine any possible scenario where races could be scheduled that would allow drivers from multiple series to attend during the season. The IROC that is held in Europe is just one weekend.

Are you talking about Michelle Mouton's special stage rally based event, or something else held on a tarmac circuit I've never heard about?
21.gif

When I read this thread, I thought of certain Camaro models, not "International Race of Champions"

I thought someone wanted to create a new Camaro that shared styling cues from the 1980s IROC Camaros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back