Blank Keys -- Are there any good quality brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to find a blank key for my Suzuki motorcycle that isn't going to bend or warp. The seat release and the gas tank cap have very finnicky locks that require a bit extra force to engage.

I've got an ILCO SUZ18 that has been OK, but it did warp a little when my seat release was being tough one day.

I see that there are brands like CURTIS, TAYLOR, etc..

Are any of these going to be stronger than others?

I'd go to a dealer and spend the extra for a factory key.
You might also check ebay for a factory blank.
You might also try some graphite lube in the locks to see if that makes them less finicky.
I had a Walmart rubber head copy snap in the trunk lock of a Chrysler convertible I used to own.
Not fun when you are 40 miles from home.

Spend the money for dealer keys. If they're like my BMWs, they are a steel key, not the brass blanks used on the hardware store key cutters. BMW will cut you a new key using the VIN. To get a new key for a 20 yr old car was inpressive

Spray the locks with some Fluid Film or other long-lasting lubricant. Not everybody's going to have a can of FF laying around, though. Graphite may do the trick if it's worked in there enough.

Otherwise, a little dab of dielectric grease on the surface the locks lock to might make it a bit smoother. The dielectric grease also generally stays where it's put.

Disassemble the locks in question and clean the surfaces, lube lightly and you can use any key. Zuki keys are brass for the most part.

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back