Hyundai GDI engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
My dad is considering getting a new car and he is leaning towards Toyotas and Hondas. I know Hyundai has gotten a lot better but how reliable are these cars? They introduced a lot of GDI engines within the last few years and I wanted to know how reliable are these engines. My dad is looking for a compact sedan or a full size sedan( Elantra or Sonata). How do these cars compare against camrys, accords, etc in terms of engine reliability? Thanks

I have 52,000 miles on my 2011 2.4L GDI Sonata. Aside from a thermostat failure at 50,000 miles, repaired under warranty, no issues.

This Hyundai has been the most mechanically reliable car I have ever owned. Build quality/fit and finish, however, is less than ideal...lots of interior squeaks, rattles, vibrations, clunks, stripped screws from the factory, etc.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Why not get a Chevy Cruze for about the same or less money? Very roomy car for what it is, American made with a good parts content and GM powertrains are second to none. No games with warranty issues either, like Hyundai and Kia.

What "games" are you talking about? Hyundai/Kia offer massive powertrain warranties, which means they have faith in those cars providing 10 years of trouble-free service.

Warranty length is often the best indicator of the car's quality, in my opinion. Have you noticed how the 3/36 standard warranties of the 1990s are now 5/60? Cars are getting more reliable.

After the recent Toyota recalls I think he definitely wont go that route, so I am guessing a Hyundai or Honda. From the looks of it everyone who has a Hyundai is pretty happy with their car so I will relay the message to my dad. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Why not get a Chevy Cruze for about the same or less money? Very roomy car for what it is, American made with a good parts content and GM powertrains are second to none. No games with warranty issues either, like Hyundai and Kia.

Really? No games?
Google is your friend. They are no better or worse than any other company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back