Linux Mint users: This is the one you'll want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on Ubuntu
frown.gif

I like Linux Mint Debian Edition. Just switched my netbook to the latest version. Have been using it since 2009 on my home server.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Based on Ubuntu
frown.gif

I like Linux Mint Debian Edition. Just switched my netbook to the latest version. Have been using it since 2009 on my home server.

I don't understand the difference. I thought Ubuntu IS based on Debian?

Ubuntu s easier to maintain , update .

Ubuntu s more user friendly as it s easier to have wifi working on Ubuntu s than Debian s as an exemple .

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Based on Ubuntu
frown.gif

I don't understand the difference. I thought Ubuntu IS based on Debian?

Ubuntu is *based* on Debian; but loosely: They take the compiled packages from Debian's repositories and then patch the holy mackerel out of them, rendering them no longer compatible with Debian. Linux Mint is more closely "based on" Ubuntu and actually uses, directly, Ubuntu's software repositories. Therefore, to summarize: The "distance" between Mint and Ubuntu is much smaller than that between Ubuntu and Debian.

I like the Debian-based Mint, too. A whole lot. I like rolling releases a whole lot, too; but for years it has seemed as though LMDE's days were numbered simply due to a small user base and the commensurate lack of attention from developers it gets. For that reason, and that reason alone I have shied away from using it as my OS of choice for the dozen or so friends, family and neighbours for whom I administer Linux systems.

I'd never heard of Linux Mint until the other day when a forum member here mentioned it due to frustration with losing Windows support. I checked it out. I'm not a techy but it looks like Windows in a way. I asked my son and he told me what it was. He thought it was a viable alternative, but cautioned me about, his words, driver support. Not quite sure what that was so he tried to explain that to me. In a nut shell, his concerns were whether other things would be able to work with Linux Mint like printers, and such. For someone with limited knowledge who can't rely on help from a son (he's a pilot in the Air Force), should I not consider something like this? I'm not afraid to try something new, just don't want to mess something up and have to deal with the aftermath.

Choosing Mint isn't going to mean you have driver issues. Realistically you can expect that almost everything will work in Mint just as well as it does in the release of Ubuntu that your release of Mint is based off of.

It is not like grabbing a Debian Package and installing it in Ubuntu where you have to cross all your fingers and toes in hope that you don't have to chase down any dependencies. If it works in Ubuntu it should work in Mint.

From my experience, unless you have a computer with something really new, I haven't run into any issues. Linux Mint has most of the drivers out of the box.

If you want to install a dual boot with Windows, I recommend partitioning about 100GB of your hard drive to EXT4 with MiniTool Partition Tool Home (free) or EaseUS Partition Master (free). I would also install easyBCD v2.2 (free) so you can dual boot.

If you don't like something, it easy to convert things back to NTFS.

I still use Windows, but find myself using Linux Mint Cinnamon and LibreOffice for most of my computing.

My $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
For someone with limited knowledge who can't rely on help from a son (he's a pilot in the Air Force), should I not consider something like this? I'm not afraid to try something new, just don't want to mess something up and have to deal with the aftermath.

The nice thing about F/LOSS (Free/ Libre Open Source Software; software that is free both in terms of "no cost" and in terms of "freedom") is that you can download and try it for free without having to install it on your system. You can download it, boot from a burned CD, DVD or USB stick and try it out with your hardware before deciding to use it permanently.

Thanks to all. This has me interested. I wished I was a little more tech savvy just as I wished I had spent a lot more time in my younger years messing around with engines. One last question if you don't mind; since my wife and I can use a laptop that's wireless at home on the internet, can we still do the same with Linux Mint? A lot of the things you've so graciously offered as help is totally Greek to me, but I appreciate them non-the-less. This thread has motivated me to try something different.

It would be worth finding out now which wireless chipset is in your laptop and doing a little research to make sure that Mint plays nicely with it. If it is supported in the current version, odds are it will be supported in the next version. If you do need a special driver or some other tweaking, post a question at

http://forums.linuxmint.com/

and I'm sure you'll get an answer.

GrtArtiste

Thanks to all. This has me interested. I wished I was a little more tech savvy just as I wished I had spent a lot more time in my younger years messing around with engines. One last question if you don't mind; since my wife and I can use a laptop that's wireless at home on the internet, can we still do the same with Linux Mint? A lot of the things you've so graciously offered as help is totally Greek to me, but I appreciate them non-the-less. This thread has motivated me to try something different.

The best thing to do is, as uc50 indicated, is to download a live CD image and boot your computer from the CD. This will get Linux Mint running, but from the CD and it won't touch your HD.

You can then see if the wireless works. If it doesn't work, getting it to work (if it will) may be more work than you are interested in; no loss in the end, but honestly if it does work, I suspect you will love Linux Mint

TRY IT!

Still trying to wrap my head around Linux Mint. Besides that it is apparently free, what are its benefits for a non-programmer type person? Is it faster? Does it do things better than Windows? I understand it does basically what Windows does, and probably more in the right knowledgeable hands. It's just a different critter for the same purpose, right? I went to the suggested website and they seem to be great people, but they talk way above my pay grade. I'm so intrigued by this that I'm going to give it shot. I'll try to do the CD after I get home after some errands. I'm hoping the old adage, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" doesn't apply here. Wish me luck Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start by making a linux mint usb flash drive.

it will run entirely off the usb flash drive and not change anything on computer.

8gb size is usually good something decent should be about 10$

Then go download the linux mint iso
(iso = image of operating system)
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

then use this program to make it into a bootable usb flash drive of linux mint

http://www.computersnyou.com/2803/2013/1...dows-linux-mac/

I usually take one with me if i need to do any internet use that requires logging in at a friends house.

Dont have to worry about any malware etc they might have.

Last edited:
Still trying to wrap my head around Linux Mint. Besides that it is apparently free, what are its benefits for a non-programmer type person? Is it faster? Does it do things better than Windows? I understand it does basically what Windows does, and probably more in the right knowledgeable hands. It's just a different critter for the same purpose, right? I went to the suggested website and they seem to be great people, but they talk way above my pay grade. I'm so intrigued by this that I'm going to give it shot. I'll try to do the CD after I get home after some errands. I'm hoping the old adage, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" doesn't apply here. Wish me luck Thanks again.

Its advantages are you will no longer have to spend time defragging HDs, removing spyware or hunting around for free or paid AV.

A problem with windows is the more you use it the slower it goes. Ever wonder why the windows platform needs a host of security and "demuck it up" utilities? People often purchase new computers "because the old one is slow" when in fact, the OS is garbaged up.

It will run just as fast years from now as the day you installed it. Start using your computer full time, instead of spending time maintaining it.

"It just works."

Last edited:
Still trying to wrap my head around Linux Mint. Besides that it is apparently free, what are its benefits for a non-programmer type person?

It is an operating system, (un)like Windows and Mac. It provides a framework for programs to run on top of. Here are some advantages of Linux over both Windows and Mac, off the top of my head:

1) You are never locked in. If you use many programs running in Windows or Mac you are unable to use or share that data beyond that specific program. My wife's school board, for example, will likely never exit the treadmill of proprietary OS's because they have years and years of data that can only be processed by proprietary OS's. This ensures for Microsoft and Apple that you are forced to continue...

2) Paying for upgrades and fixes. Linux is free as in "no cost" and no one has any motivation to bleed you dry for their own benefit. There is something you find dis-satisfactory about your current Linux-based OS? Start using another one (there are hundreds out there): All of your data will make the trip with you.

3) It is safer. No malware. No need to run (or worry about, or ever even think about) anti-virus or whatever else in the world Windows users have to burden themselves with. Just check out some of the threads in this, a motor oil forum, to see all the troubles people have keeping themselves safe, just to be able to continue running an OS that demands they keep constant vigilant guard over it! How absurd.

4) It respects your freedom (free as in "freedom"). You can make copies and share it with others and install it on as many systems as you like. You can remove and install whatever you wish, whenever and wherever you wish. It belongs to you. You do not own other OS's: You purchase a license that allows (?!) you to use them. You can even tweak it, re-brand it and re-distribute it as your own OS if you wanted! in fact, that is pretty much all Mint does from it's base of Ubuntu; which itself is just a dressed up version of Debian Linux. Freedom is chaotic sometimes.

5) You are not a cash cow. There is no one trying to deliver the minimum possible in return for the maximum possible to satisfy someone's self-serving greed. There is no one who will punish you for encroaching on their ownership. The software is developed with only one motivation, and that is to make the best, most robust, reliable and friendly software possible; asking nothing in return. Commies!

6) It is harder to kill. If Microsoft and Apple ever decide that whatever product of theirs is not profitable enough for them, they'll kill it and you are snookered. Linux, being open-source, allows for any community to develop and maintain technologies as long as there is they see demand for it and choose to do it. If the guy who runs Mint ever decides to do something else with his days, you can either switch distributions or hope that the Mint community steps in and continues the project. Maybe you could even pitch in somehow. Not all people involved in these communities are techies.

---

You have already found that the communities of these varying Linux OS's ("distributions") are very friendly and helpful, but tend to be quite nerdy. All but a small handful of distributions are meant for the DIY-er who likes to set up and configure things themselves. Ubuntu, Mint, Mageia, Fedora, openSUSE and a few others are mainstream, popular distributions that are meant for non-technical users. They can be installed and used with little or no fuss.

One last question if you don't mind; since my wife and I can use a laptop that's wireless at home on the internet, can we still do the same with Linux Mint?

Not all hardware works on Linux-based OS's. Just try to imagine, if you can, a company that manufactures wireless chips or graphics cards. To have Windows and Mac support they have one corporate entity with whom they can work to develop proper drivers. Linux? Which one?! There are hundreds out there and they all, in lesser or greater ways, work a little differently. Who do they contact as technical liaisons? There is no legal entity or phone number behind most of these distributions. How do you contact the bunch of anarchist geeks who are currently reverse-engineering your precious hardware and writing their own drivers? They don't like proprietary software and they'll likely be impolite to you... Even then the manufacturer would only be able to support that one distribution; not being completely confident that their drivers will work on others! Yikes!

Freedom is chaotic, and profit-driven manufacturers abhor chaos. They want homogeneous partners and homogeneous consumers.

Just do your best, if you feel like you have some time to kill, to make either a CD or DVD or USB stick that you can boot from and put Mint on it. You'll find out soon enough whether this is for you or not.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Still trying to wrap my head around Linux Mint. Besides that it is apparently free, what are its benefits for a non-programmer type person?

It is an operating system, (un)like Windows and Mac. It provides a framework for programs to run on top of. Here are some advantages of Linux over both Windows and Mac, off the top of my head:

1) You are never locked in. If you use many programs running in Windows or Mac you are unable to use or share that data beyond that specific program. My wife's school board, for example, will likely never exit the treadmill of proprietary OS's because they have years and years of data that can only be processed by proprietary OS's. This ensures for Microsoft and Apple that you are forced to continue...

2) Paying for upgrades and fixes. Linux is free as in "no cost" and no one has any motivation to bleed you dry for their own benefit. There is something you find dis-satisfactory about your current Linux-based OS? Start using another one (there are hundreds out there): All of your data will make the trip with you.

3) It is safer. No malware. No need to run (or worry about, or ever even think about) anti-virus or whatever else in the world Windows users have to burden themselves with. Just check out some of the threads in this, a motor oil forum, to see all the troubles people have keeping themselves safe, just to be able to continue running an OS that demands they keep constant vigilant guard over it! How absurd.

4) It respects your freedom (free as in "freedom"). You can make copies and share it with others and install it on as many systems as you like. You can remove and install whatever you wish, whenever and wherever you wish. It belongs to you. You do not own other OS's: You purchase a license that allows (?!) you to use them. You can even tweak it, re-brand it and re-distribute it as your own OS if you wanted! in fact, that is pretty much all Mint does from it's base of Ubuntu; which itself is just a dressed up version of Debian Linux. Freedom is chaotic sometimes.

5) You are not a cash cow. There is no one trying to deliver the minimum possible in return for the maximum possible to satisfy someone's self-serving greed. There is no one who will punish you for encroaching on their ownership. The software is developed with only one motivation, and that is to make the best, most robust, reliable and friendly software possible; asking nothing in return. Commies!

6) It is harder to kill. If Microsoft and Apple ever decide that whatever product of theirs is not profitable enough for them, they'll kill it and you are snookered. Linux, being open-source, allows for any community to develop and maintain technologies as long as there is they see demand for it and choose to do it. If the guy who runs Mint ever decides to do something else with his days, you can either switch distributions or hope that the Mint community steps in and continues the project. Maybe you could even pitch in somehow. Not all people involved in these communities are techies.

---

You have already found that the communities of these varying Linux OS's ("distributions") are very friendly and helpful, but tend to be quite nerdy. All but a small handful of distributions are meant for the DIY-er who likes to set up and configure things themselves. Ubuntu, Mint, Mageia, Fedora, openSUSE and a few others are mainstream, popular distributions that are meant for non-technical users. They can be installed and used with little or no fuss.

Dang. That's a good write up!

Just got home from my errands. Just wanted to say again, many thanks, for all the time and input you all have provided. UC50 that was extremely enlightening and thanks for your time. I'll be trying to do a CD tonight. Hope you all still look at this thread so I can report my progress and get some additional guidance. Have to ask my son what a USB disk is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back