Very Dirty Ford 360 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
This is an opinion-based forum, I gave mine. My opinion was learned from a lifetime of experience. They will do little more than separate you from your money. If the level of sludge is what I picture in my mind, no, store-bought additive in a can will do nothing.

I understand the opinion bit. But according to your experience, you could tear the engine down and clean it. Or, you could try a solvent in the oil. It sounds like you only do in the former.

If you disassembled your engine, you would probably clean the parts in some kind of solvent. Why wouldn't solvents added to the oil have a similar effect?

Actually, If the heads have been hot tanked they are now squeaky clean. Clean the lifter valley as best you can with rags, screwdrivers etc and you are in pretty good shape.

Those are the 2 biggest areas where sludge accumulates. If you suspect a bunch of sludge in the pan and pump screen, put diesel or kerosene or gasoline in and let it soak a few days. Don't run it. Drain, then repeat until it looks clean. Get a pan heater and let it cook. The hotter you can get the solvent the better it'll break up the sludge.

Originally Posted By: rockydee
Your favorite oil with a 1 qt.MMO chaser for the win. Two project cars, some other misc uses over the years , and a POS my daughter bought when she moved out west for a job opportunity made me a believer.

01.gif
For people who don't have the time, knowledge or resources to tear down an engine, this is what I'd do. Cheap easy to find and it works. If you don't mind sending away for a product which has a money back guarantee then I'd try Kreen which is stronger and faster acting than MMO. And if it doesn't work they'll send you your money back.
Just keep an eye on the oil level and change the oil filter early for really dirty applications. Very heavily sludged engines should be manually cleaned if possible.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

This takes awhile, but it's a lot easier on the engine than a dose of a "Blastolene Solvent" which will probably attack elastomers and clog oil passages.

I used it many times and it doesn't live up to any of its claims in any engine i tried it on.
The only thing it cleaned was my wallet.

It would be good to know what were really dealing with in this engine. Chunky sludge? Heavy varnish? Just basic thin coatings?

I knew what my engine looked line under the cv and in the oil pan, and so I did the B12 chemtool idle flush recently with good results. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but it is so,etching to consider if you're looking to do something a little more stringent.

I'd probably start with some HDEO with Kreen or MMO over a couple OCIs first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back