100,000 mile Kia. Change what I'm doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My moms 2007 Kia Optima just rolled over 100,000 miles this morning!! The car has been on a steady diet of Mobil 1 5w20 with a purolator filter (either classic or pure one) throughout its life. There have been times where it's had some Castrol syntec or PP, but mostly Mobil 1 and ALWAYS 5w20. So the question is should we change to high mileage oil? The car doesn't burn a drop of oil or leak at all. My moms maintains it meticulously. The car sees freeway everyday and some shorter weekend errand runs. Opinions wanted
smile.gif

My 2005 Kia Sorento just hit 100K over the weekend. I plan on staying the course with synthetic fluids and adding in about 3 to 4-oz's of ATP AT-205 seal conditioner each OCI (creating my own version of a high mileage oil).

Vehicle doesn't leak a drop, unless it's a lose oil filter.

I'm not convinced 5w20 is optimum for the Hyundai/KIA's but clearly they will run a long time on it. With the maintenance your vehicle has had I doubt it would benefit much from a HM oil.

Is there a 100k checkup, like tuneup, timing belt change schedule? Daughter bought a 07 Kia Spectra with 90k on it and no manual in glovebox??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
The BITOG posting curse. "It's not broke, does anyone out there think I should fix it?"

Clearly not...look at my post count versus a lot of others... Lol

The reason I asked is because I'm still new to a lot of the oil stuff out there and wanted some opinions
smile.gif

I'm going to stay with the regiment that we've been doing. Mobil 1 and a puro filter. I have some extra hyundai filters for my car that should work on the Kia so maybe ill use those up. I wish I could peek under the valve cover to check out the varnish and sludge, if there's any....

My money says the engine looks almost as new as it did the day she drove it home. Since you live in Texas and feel you need to do something because the vehicle crossed a line, put in M1 5W-30 EP. Lots of good certification on that oil. P1 is quickly falling out of favor. Wait for those M1 oil/filter deals to pop up.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
I'm going to stay with the regiment that we've been doing. Mobil 1 and a puro filter. I have some extra hyundai filters for my car that should work on the Kia so maybe ill use those up. I wish I could peek under the valve cover to check out the varnish and sludge, if there's any....

Firestone does my OC's (they have Kendall) and they can't use another filter other than theirs.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
The BITOG posting curse. "It's not broke, does anyone out there think I should fix it?"

Clearly not...look at my post count versus a lot of others... Lol

The reason I asked is because I'm still new to a lot of the oil stuff out there and wanted some opinions
smile.gif

Relax, you're not exactly the Lone Ranger. Since the car isn't using any oil during the OCI, I'd keep doing what you're doing with the synthetic of your choice. Your engine likely looks like new inside.

should we change to high mileage oil? The car doesn't burn a drop of oil or leak at all.

This says you shouldn't even be here...find an open road and ride....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back