oil hotter then operating temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine stopped in yesterday and we got to chatting...

He made a funny comment that kinda confused me.

He said (yeah, with the equipment I deal with at work, they almost never go past operation temp but the oil will be 210/220 all day)

He basically runs excavators, and later told me that's what he uses all day.

I think, he said the operating temp is 160° or 180° but im not sure

Is this something common amongst heavy duty equipment cause of the turbos or ???

Will the same kinda apply to oil drawing heat from the engine blocks? From average vehicles people own?

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
He said (yeah, with the equipment I deal with at work, they almost never go past operation temp but the oil will be 210/220 all day)

What does he mean by "operating temp?" Temperature of what exactly? What is he comparing the oil temp to?

If he's comparing it to coolant temp, then yes, it is quite common for oil to be somewhat hotter than coolant. 210-220F isn't an overly high temp for oil anyway.

Honestly he said (operating temp)

So, if his machine shows coolant temp as operation temp, then you'd be correct.

Otherwise im not totally sure.

He probably meant coolant, and it would just mean that the radiators on the machines are large enough to keep the coolant temperatures down, but the oil doesn't have as efficient cooling mechanisms.

Oil is generally responsible for moving massive amounts of heat out of any engine that works a bit.

Absolutely dependent on design, as many engines with high performance tunes or higher power density have oil squirters that bathe the pistons undersides with oil to help cooling, detonation, etc.

Hi,
leroyd92 - You already have some insightful answers

With heavy equipment it is expected that operating oil temps will run about 15-20% above coolant temps

It is common to have around 120C as the oil temp shut down point. Normal temps will typically be around 100-110C with warning/engine protection devices set to operate at around 115C

Much depends on engine design and application

Cool, the only reason all of this was brought up between us, was I recently added an oil cooler to a motorcycle of mine, after 2years of riding it daily, im noticing a 45/70° difference in oil temps.

After 12miles to work, my oil was always 190/200° when it was winter, now im down to 150

After a trip to the nearest store, my oil would be 175 (7minutes running ) im now around 100° or under.

With a drop like this, I was wondering how much cooler my motor might be running... if I positively removed 50° from the oil, how much of that is cooling the block? That answer I may never know.

Yesterday I took a long trip through town, 35mph for about 15minutes, 15minutes of stop and go. Oil was 190° when I stopped and it was 82°outside... same trip in the winter would have been 225° or more.

I added the oil cooler in hopes I wouldn't see 270° oil like I did yeast year during the 116° days

Fwiw, yesterday I stopped at a light and was able to put my hand on top of the valve cover and although it was hot, I could hold my fingers there for a moment without getting the (ouch) affect

Cool, the only reason all of this was brought up between us, was I recently added an oil cooler to a motorcycle of mine, after 2years of riding it daily, im noticing a 45/70° difference in oil temps.

After 12miles to work, my oil was always 190/200° when it was winter, now im down to 150

After a trip to the nearest store, my oil would be 175 (7minutes running ) im now around 100° or under.

With a drop like this, I was wondering how much cooler my motor might be running... if I positively removed 50° from the oil, how much of that is cooling the block? That answer I may never know.

Yesterday I took a long trip through town, 35mph for about 15minutes, 15minutes of stop and go. Oil was 190° when I stopped and it was 82°outside... same trip in the winter would have been 225° or more.

I added the oil cooler in hopes I wouldn't see 270° oil like I did yeast year during the 116° days

Fwiw, yesterday I stopped at a light and was able to put my hand on top of the valve cover and although it was hot, I could hold my fingers there for a moment without getting the (ouch) affect

150F oil temps are not ideal.
Mind you once summer hits you'll see much hotter oil temps. I suggest some kind of blanket or oil cooler cover so oil temps reach 190f at the bare minimum.

My forklifts both run at 203f coolant temps and oil temps never exceed 210f. I've only seen 210f on the hottest of days and running the machines hard. Usually they run between 195f and 205f.

My charger will run at 190f with 0w-40 in the sump with cruise set at 70mph. With 5w-20 at 70mph I see oil temps of 213f.
And when enjoying myself I've seen oil temps as high as 260f at which point I figured it was time to back my foot out of it a bit.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

150F oil temps are not ideal.
Mind you once summer hits you'll see much hotter oil temps. I suggest some kind of blanket or oil cooler cover so oil temps reach 190f at the bare minimum.

My forklifts both run at 203f coolant temps and oil temps never exceed 210f. I've only seen 210f on the hottest of days and running the machines hard. Usually they run between 195f and 205f.

My charger will run at 190f with 0w-40 in the sump with cruise set at 70mph. With 5w-20 at 70mph I see oil temps of 213f.
And when enjoying myself I've seen oil temps as high as 260f at which point I figured it was time to back my foot out of it a bit.

So, if the motor is getting hotter, the oil will get hotter?

And, if the oil is getting cooler, will the reverse effect happen and the motor be cooled?

After this summer I'll decide how big of a cooler jacket I'll make for the cooler...

I live next to an upholsterererer =)=)=)=)=)=)=)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back