VW VR6...good engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

My daughter likes the older VW's (can't afford a new one yet) and is looking at a 1999.5 with the VR6.
What is the consensus on this engine with a stick shift?

PS: I personally think VW's are troublesome but the kids really like them...

I've heard nothing but good things about the naturally aspirated VR6 being very durable. Definitely get it with a stick! AFAIK, as long as it was maintained, it should be good-to-go. The VW's I think have a history of spotty electronics issues. But the non-turbo engines and manual trannys are pretty rock solid IMHO. I've talked to some that say buying older VW's is fine because most of any of the problems have probably been taken care of...

I don't think I would buy a gasser VW without a warranty. A 15 year old specimen is very likely to be a money pit. How many miles are on it? Does it come with maintenance records?

What's her budget? Can we steer her toward anything else?

ANYTHING 15 years old could be a "money pit". They could also run just fine and be a much lower cost of operation option than going out and buying or leasing new...

Anyways, avoid ANYTHING MODDED! My nephew got burned a couple times buying modded VW's and Hondas with "chips" that were designed to fail the NYS inspection process...

ehh my bro has a 2000 jetta vr6, lots of stuff broken inside, door handles, ashtray, glove box, the engine has issues with leaking coolant, we have fixed it twice and it still uses coolant
engine compartment is really tight

Google vr 6 crackpipe

he said he won't buy another vw

that being said it has 160k on it and I would say it has been abused by my standards

Last edited:
They had a lot of problems with stretched Timing chains due to a faulty pressure valve in the oil pump. A new oil pump was made that did not have that problem. The chain is a bit of a pain to replace because it is on the gearbox side of the engine.

Originally Posted By: pbm
My daughter likes the older VW's (can't afford a new one yet) and is looking at a 1999.5 with the VR6.
What is the consensus on this engine with a stick shift?

PS: I personally think VW's are troublesome but the kids really like them...

Any older car is a roll of the dice.
My old BMW has proven to be as reliable as a hammer but it could easily have been as reliable as a set of cheap sockets instead.
I got service history going way back with mine, which helps to ensure that the car was looked after, but it was still a fifteen year old car when I bought it.
If you can find a nice old VW that has at least some service history and hasn't been through a whole bunch of owners, then I'd say that your chances of getting something decently reliable are pretty good.
A car that's seen regular use over the years and hasn't been run into the ground will likely be a decent bet.
What typically breaks either isn't going to or has already been fixed.
Old VWs are apparently scary to a lot of people since you can find them pretty cheap.
The same is true of every other German brand.
At least some of the reputation for trouble in aging German cars probably comes from the lack of maintenance these cars get from their second and third owners, not to mention the original buyer relying upon the free scheduled maintenance, who may have leased the car and thus had no incentive to really care for it well.
Fix the little things while they're little and attend to the required routine maintenance and an old German car can be a solid bet.
As much as it pains a longtime Honda owner like me to say it, the typical old German car is a whole lot more entertaining than anything American or Asian at a similar price point.

Remember,the VWs of today are not the old air cooled Beetles of old.They cost a fortune for parts and have lots of issues that never seem to go away.The only reason people have warm spots in their hearts for VWs,is because of the old Type1/2 models and the early Rabbits/Sciroccos. Dashers,Eurovans,Corrados,Fox and all the rest did nothing to endear themselves with the public at large.

I had a 2000 Jetta with the 2.slow and a manual. It was dead reliable. The only problem I ever had with it was a Bosch spark plug ceramic blowing up. Fished out the part and kept trucking. That being said, it had a complete service history.

The VR6 was a solid motor. Things to check are the valve cover gaskets and pcv.

(4) office mates had early 200x VW jettas. Three now drive Japanese cars.

The lone holdout still has his 2000 with about 240K on it. I've been in it and would rather own my echo with 330K than his with 240K.

I've pushed started his car twice, and I just work with him.

Last edited:
I looked at a 1997 Passat VR6 my dads friend bought for his 16 year old son a few years ago. They are abortions to work on super tight engine compartment, and everything electronic and plastic at the time was just about dead. I also think that car had a cooling water line that if it leaked you have to yank the engine to replace it. Cost almost as much as an E320 in 1997 and its not 1/10th the car.

If your daughter wants to be a VW mechanic go for it! Looks like it will keep her busy for a very long time!

Talk her into an Acura or something.

Last edited:
Can you get repair records from the previous owner? The timing chain sometimes fails, and when it does, it costs a huge amount of money.

Plastic parts in the cooling system are weak, except the radiator. Maybe the records will show if that stuff was replaced before.

The ignition coil is often a cause if misfires. They can get over $300 if you have a 6 tower coil pack.

The MKIV Jetta is prone to having interior parts fail.

Even though the VR6 has limits, I still save my money to someday buy a Winnebago based VW RV which uses a VR6.

IIRC the VR6 used a timing chain, and it's not unheard of it going after 150k. Requires pulling the engine. I'd imagine a tight engine bay. Plus I'd imagine it requires insurance inline with a performance motor.

On the plus side IMO the chassis has done well from a rust perspective. Yes, mine is showing its age. At nearly 300k and zero preventative work (oil coating) I think it's allowed.

I'd probably run from it, but the parts are out there to repair it, as are the forums.

Find a 24V VR6 not a 12V. More power for one and the timing chain issue was fixed.

Anything and everything will be a money pit in 14 years, my dad's Dodge van is no exception. I have the factory service manual in PDF so lmk if you need anything.

The VR6 has an over engineered cooling system to say the least and like any cooling system if you never change the coolant or which is more likely the case use the wrong coolant you will have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back