Castrol Edge 10w-60, 14k,'09 BMW M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know my lead is high at 18. I'm hoping my switch to castrol 0w40 will improve my lead count. Other M3 drivers have switched to a 0w40 oil and cut their lead levels in half. I'm going to pull a sample at 5k and see if my numbers improve.

Code:
Oil Castrol 10w-60

Miles in use 14k

Miles 42k

Sample Taken 3/14/14

ALUMINUM 7

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 11

COPPER 4

LEAD 18

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 150

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 29

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 28

SILICON 5

SODIUM 5

CALCIUM 2480

MAGNESIUM 176

PHOSPHORUS 786

ZINC 922

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 91.6

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 18.37

Flashpoint in °F 415

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.1

TBN 2.5

When you say Castrol Edge 10w60, which one are you talking about? There's Castrol Edge Sport and Castrol Edge Professional TWS.

That 10W-60 is one thick oil to use over the winter months. Agree that a 0W-40 is more appropriate to help you "get the lead out".

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Thicker oil doesn't mean it protects the engine better than correct grade(thinner oil)

Castrol Edge or TWS 10w-60 is the only "correct" oil for this engine.

Probably a better oil from all I've read than castrol. To be honest I bought off on "designed for BMW" castrol advertises and feeling a bit of remorse after reading more comps. after I pulled the trigger. Just really hoping to cut those lead levels in half or more.

Interesting that high viscosity caused higher bearing wear -- opposite of what you would think. I wonder if that was because the oil flow was insufficient due to high viscosity.

Could it also be that OCI was too long and TAN got to high, causing bearing corrosion? TAN increase is strongly correlated with lead corrosion and wear. I emphasize that TBN alone is fairly useless to determine used-oil condition and both TBN and TAN are needed. Unfortunately Blackstone misleads people to believe that knowledge of TBN is sufficient.

Here is some previous discussion. See the Chevron/Oronite reference linked there as well:

TBN, TAN, Ca, Mg, base-oil quality, oil life

Originally Posted By: jaj
Thicker oil doesn't mean it protects the engine better than correct grade(thinner oil)

In North America, BMW now allows LL-01 oils in the S65. Many of us have switched to Mobil 1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: jaj

In North America, BMW now allows LL-01 oils in the S65. Many of us have switched to Mobil 1 0w40.

Make that, LL-01 is the only correct oil for this engine.

If you aren't tracking this car a lot with really high oil temps, the Mobil1 0w-40 is a great alternative. Even if you track the car with the Mobil1 0w-40 it is still a great choice. I would also recommend using the Mobil1 15w-50, especially when you can catch the Mobil1 on sale. I'm a BMW Master Tech, the S65 engine is extremely reliable mechanically. The only issues we really see is the low pressure fuel sensor failures, idle actuators and throttles failing. Other than that, they are really well made engines. It is crazy how bad our non M V8s are compared to the Motorsport V8 engines. The S62 and S65 are the best production V8s BMW has ever made. I really do not like seeing that the new generation M3/M4's will have turbo charged Inline 6 engines. Don't get me wrong I love inline 6 BMW engines, but we all know BMW has a lot of issues with turbo chargers and our High pressure fuel systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back