Wynns Engine Tune Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
"spent petroleum lubricating oils, hydrotreated (severe) naphthenic distillate, heavy, solvent- refined (severe) other non- hazardous ingredients"

Actually read the MSDS on 90% of this [censored] and you'll see it for what its worth.

"Spent petroleum distillates" doesn't sound like something I'd want.

Different additives target different issues. Some try to clean the engine, others add additional AW additives (like Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment, which is discontinued, shaeffers #132) others just seem to thicken the oil

What issue are you trying to address?

A normally operating engine doesn't need any additives.

Actually,years ago had a younger kid (well,around 20 years old) brag about how LaVerdiere's Drug Store sold a "tune up" in a can.Proudly bragging that it was called Wynns Tune Up,and he was going to buy a can of it for his old rusty 78 Dodge Van as soon as he could afford it....lol

Think about it, if all these "products" really did anything beneficial for an automobile a whole lot of mechanics would be out of jobs!

The engine I used it in is a 6G74 from a Diamante.
It had a bit of lifter noise at idle and I did a flush (wynns) + Castrol Edge 5W40 oil + this Wynns Tune Up.

Since then there is no more lifter noise at all, just wondering what it is that it does, and whether I am trading off short term benefits for longevity?

for all Mitsu engines out there:

You'll have to keep a watchful eye on oil burning issues typically related to premature valve stem seal wear and/or valve guides wear.

Other than that: stay away from using snakeoil in your engine, for you can get pretty much all the stuff that you need in good motor oil anyways (want to tame some noise, use thicker/higher viscosity motor oil, etc.)

Q.

Spetz, the Wynns oil and fuel additives are worthless. Spend your money on a premium synthetic motor oil and call it good.

Dr. Olds

Originally Posted By: drolds
Spetz, the Wynns oil and fuel additives are worthless. Spend your money on a premium synthetic motor oil and call it good.

Dr. Olds

Some of their stuff is sort of OK...however, I had an experience back in the late '90s, where we used the Wynns oil purifying machine (vacuum dehydration and fuller's earth IIRC), and had to re-additise a few thousand litres of hydraulic oil.

They rocked up with a gearbox additive, and when questioned, I was told that they were all the same "stuff", but the gearbox additive was more concentrated and the cheapest way of getting the "stuff".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back