F1 - Austrailian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gofast182
I don't think that's the case (as much as I want it to be). Turbo engines don't tend to continue to build power all the way up to red line like a naturally aspirated engine does. I think we're going to see the engines running in the 10k-12k range more than not because they'll be at their peak power without dumping unnecessary fuel into the engine.

True. Indy cars have a 12,000 rpm rev limit and they usually run up right against it, and they also use a small, DI turbo v6. IMO, the Indycar engines also sound better... gosh, I never thought I'd say that!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I like the sound, they sound like the Turbo V6 Indy cars. I do think the whole idea of fuel conservation in F1 is rubbish. I say bring back mid race refueling and Q engines. They have already said these engines are the most expensive ever, so the floodgates have already been blown open.

Agreed on all accounts. Also, what's the point in F1 trying to save money and 'cap' spending? By nature, F1 is and always has been a sport for only the richest teams. And it always will be. I'm fine with that. But F1 is contradicting the whole money-saving thing by changing the entire car in one season, because that makes fiscal sense
crazy2.gif

I like the sound, they sound like the Turbo V6 Indy cars. I do think the whole idea of fuel conservation in F1 is rubbish. I say bring back mid race refueling and Q engines. They have already said these engines are the most expensive ever, so the floodgates have already been blown open.

I agree with the fuel conservation being rubbish. What kind of racing series is it if winning means you can't go as fast as your potential will allow?

These new 'powerplant' rules may be the biggest disaster the sport has ever faced.

I understand the need to justify the whole circus with new and advanced technology, but, the sound of these things is horrid, and if they cannot even get out of the garage with them, what good is all of the 'world saving' tech??
confused2.gif

I DO miss the other-worldly, banshee shriek of the old, 18K+ rev wound out, NA works of art, V-10s/8s.
frown.gif

I am enjoying following the WRC A LOT more than this 'pinnacle of motorsport', even though it is not wheel to wheel.
thumbsup2.gif

The last time I actually liked the aesthetics of an F1 machine, they had wider, (and different diameter even) tires/wheels/track width in the back vs. the front, even if this was not as good from an engineering/function standpoint.
wink.gif

I agree with the fuel conservation being rubbish. What kind of racing series is it if winning means you can't go as fast as your potential will allow?

Lol at "Potential"

They've been regulating the cars for a long time to prevent them from reaching their potential.

At one time they were going round corners so fast drivers were passing out due to the g's. They had to cut that back. No doubt some of the safety requirements "held back" potential for a while.

Plus manufacturers need to learn something out of the investment so challenging yourself to get more from less translates into everyday vehicles.

+1 The moron responsible for turning this into a fuel economy event needs to get the boot.
I say bring the real engines, fuel stops and let them run as many tires as they want.
I listened to those sewing machine engines last night, they might as well stick them all in Honda Civics.

They are doing what was done to rally racing years ago when the stopped the B class.
They made the sport what it is but the cars were too fast. Imagine that racing cars that are too fast?

I was lucky enough to see them live a few times, everything else is just boring.

Well, we'll have to see how this "fuel economy" business pans out. I can live without fuel stops, though. I'm guessing the lack of fuel stops has kind of lingered because it does eliminate a risk that didn't add much to the enjoyment of the sport in the first place. Keeping fuel stops out is one thing, limiting fuel is another issue altogether.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, we'll have to see how this "fuel economy" business pans out. I can live without fuel stops, though. I'm guessing the lack of fuel stops has kind of lingered because it does eliminate a risk that didn't add much to the enjoyment of the sport in the first place. Keeping fuel stops out is one thing, limiting fuel is another issue altogether.

IMO the fuel stops added a lot of enjoyment to the sport, not the stop itself but the increase in speed running light allowed and the strategy around running light.

It looks to me that F1 has become a politically correct circus, whats next catalytic converters?
That old geezer Bernie Ecclestone needs to get out, he blames everyone/anyone else for the decline of F1 but he needs to look in the mirror. Too bad he didn't get locked up last year for fraud.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsp...V-audience.html

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/16/bernie-ecclestone-bribery-trial-munich-court

Originally Posted By: Trav
IMO the fuel stops added a lot of enjoyment to the sport, not the stop itself but the increase in speed running light allowed and the strategy around running light.

I can't argue against the notion of running light, for sure. I just don't like to see fuel fires.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

It looks to me that F1 has become a politically correct circus, whats next catalytic converters?
That old geezer Bernie Ecclestone needs to get out, he blames everyone/anyone else for the decline of F1 but he needs to look in the mirror. Too bad he didn't get locked up last year for fraud.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsp...V-audience.html

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/16/bernie-ecclestone-bribery-trial-munich-court

Say what you want about Bernie as he is an easy target, however I don't think anyone person today could do the job that Bernie has done for F1. When he leaves he'll be replaced by a team of people, I'm hoping that team is more of the sporting variety versus the Corporate or else were going to be in a hopeless situation.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS

Lol at "Potential"

They've been regulating the cars for a long time to prevent them from reaching their potential.

At one time they were going round corners so fast drivers were passing out due to the g's. They had to cut that back. No doubt some of the safety requirements "held back" potential for a while.

Plus manufacturers need to learn something out of the investment so challenging yourself to get more from less translates into everyday vehicles.

No no, you misunderstand. A driver should have enough fuel to be able to go flat out, as fast as he can the entire race and not have to slow down to save fuel. Even if the regs. make the cars slower, a driver should still be able to drive the sh!t out of it to whatever potential he and the car both have.

Last edited:
BTW great qualifying today! The cars didn't all break as part of me envisioned and it was pretty exciting.
Good for young Kevin Magnussen getting up there with the big boys!
The sound continues to grow on me, too, still wish it was louder though.

That qualifying session this morning was interesting from start to finish, and there was no end of surprises:

After seeming clueless all through winter practice, Red Bull pulled it together enough to put Daniel Riccardo on the front row. But Vettel was 13th, and didn't make Q3.

Raikkonen was not even in the same area code as Alonso in the battle for supremacy at Ferrari.

McLaren looks resurgent after Ron Dennis has kicked Martin Whitmarsh to the curb. Dennis looks even more brilliant after hiring Kevin Magnuson, who goes out and qualifies 4th in his first drive for the team.

Felipe Massa looks rejuvenated in his new spot at Williams.

As for the sound of the new cars? Meh. I didn't expect them to sound great. It didn't sound like many of them were pushing the 15,000 rpm rev limit. I don't think there's much point revving these engines past 12,000-12,500 with the max fuel flow limit.

Attrition wasn't as bad as I was thinking, but they only had 45 minutes on track. Wait and see if they can go a full race distance.

" ... I listened to those sewing machine engines last night, they might as well stick them all in Honda Civics."

TAKE THAT BACK!! My Civic has a larger, 1.8L engine!!
mad.gif

Nico could have been really gracious and classy by mentioning Michaela Schumacher on the podium, maybe even dedicating today's win to him. You remember that guy that was his former teammate as late as 2012? The one who's still desperately clinging to life in a hospital bed? Oh well, I guess not.
frown.gif

If I were Daniel Ricciardo I'd be quite ticked off at my team for purposely ignoring the warnings that their fuel flow rate was too high, therefore resulting in his disqualification. At least he had his moment on the podium in front of his home crowd, but it still has to sting having that second place taken away from him!

Super impressive to see young Magnusson on the podium in his very first race!

I was disappointed to see Lewis Hamilton out so early! After seeing how far ahead Nico was at the end, it's nice to see that Mercedes has such a massive advantage over their competition! I'm sure it will tighten up as the year goes on, but it's just so nice to see Red Bull's domination has ended. I was so tired of seeing Vettel win every single race.

My wife and I always root for Hamilton because he is her cousin! Her uncle is married to Lewis's mom (so technically he is a step cousin) We haven't met Lewis yet but most of her family back in England has met him many times over the years. One of these days we will go to the Canadian Grand Prix and meet up with him.

Originally Posted By: Patman
If I were Daniel Ricciardo I'd be quite ticked off at my team for purposely ignoring the warnings that their fuel flow rate was too high, therefore resulting in his disqualification. At least he had his moment on the podium in front of his home crowd, but it still has to sting having that second place taken away from him!

I guess I should have recorded the morning rebroadcast instead of the late-night livecast. I didn't know anything about Ricciardo being disqualified. I had been wondering when the teams were going to figure out a way to exceed maximum fuel flow, but I guess it's easy to do. Apparently the FIA device is just a flow meter, and not a flow limiter.

So the DQ gives McLaren a 2-3 finish?

They are doing what was done to rally racing years ago when the stopped the B class.

True, BUT, the current WRC cars are doing faster stage times now than the last of the fastest Group B cars were back then, and have been doing so for a while.

Granted, it took them all through the Group A era to get to this, but in comparison, the rule changes at F1 might actually be worse than, performance wise, the demotion from Group B to Group A rules in world rallying.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

So the DQ gives McLaren a 2-3 finish?

Yep. It's just too bad that Button didn't get the chance to stand on the podium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back