90K inspection in and lot of fluid flushes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

I have 2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition, with 923xx on odometer. I just got 90K inspection done and the mechanic suggested following things. I bought this car used when it had 72K on odometer and the past records are sketchy. He mentioned that the brake fluid is black (I don't know what color it should be), but he did not make any comments on other fluids (but they are suggested in service manual).

- Transmission Fluid flush (Estimate, including fluid - $140)
- Flush Brake system (Estimate-$90)
- Cooling System Flush (Estimate-$130)
- BG Fuel/Air Induction Service (Estimate-$140)

I have no idea on either of this stuff. Can you guys please help me figure out if I really need do this?
I read about Fuel/Air Induction service in the old threads, and noticed that nobody recommended it. (FWIW, I have used Techron twice in last 2 years.)

Service manual also suggests to replace oil at every 3000 miles, but I have read widely that you don't need it. I change it every 5000 or so miles. Hence this question.

Many thanks in advance.

My two cents:

- if the transmission is shifting fine, do a "drain and fill" not a flush.
- brake fluid - not a bad idea since the vehicle is 7+ years old
- ask for a cooling system "drain and fill", no need for a flush
- NO on the inuction service.

As long as you're not losing oil, you should be fine with 5000 mile OCI with a quality oil

Originally Posted By: dtownfb
My two cents:

- if the transmission is shifting fine, do a "drain and fill" not a flush.
- brake fluid - not a bad idea since the vehicle is 7+ years old
- ask for a cooling system "drain and fill", no need for a flush
- NO on the induction service.

As long as you're not losing oil, you should be fine with 5000 mile OCI with a quality oil

This....as for the induction service...if that means a cleaning of a throttle body, that would be fine but have it done by an indie...it's less than a half-hour job...

Also...I'd consider "flushing" the power steering fluid...
Drain and fills are a perfect job for an indie shop...

Brake fluid in its freshest (new) form is clear, so if your fluid is 'black' then it is in pretty rough shape. As far as the fluids, if none have been done or you cannot verify, then have them done (maybe spread out the services if you cannot afford all at once)...As far as the air/fuel induction cleaning service, we used to do this a lot at a dealer I worked at and it DOES work (especially on older vehicles). It injects a prety potent cleaner (under pressure) while your vehicle is running. Cleaner is drawn through your air intake where it cleans the whole intake system and a fuel cleaner is poured into the tank that takes care of the fuel system. I would highly recommend this service for anyone with a direct injected vehicle as it is good at removing deposits in combustion chamber...

If it hasn't been done in a while.....or never do it all. We do BG fluid services and it does a great job. The flushes are not really a "flush". It's basically running a cleaner in each system running it for about 25 minutes and using a machine to replace all the fluid.
Drain and refills don't replace all the fluid. We've done this for years with great results.
The fuel induction system service is a great service however $140 seems a little steep. We do it for $109. It takes about an hour to do it.

I don't like flushes except a corroded cooling system.
Yes, change the ATF with a machine, but no flushing chemicals. Drain and fill is only partial.
Yes, change the brake fluid.
Change the Coolant
Forget the fuel system service. Keep using Techron.

Change the power steering fluid

With a fluid extractor you can do some of the works easily and save a ton of money.

- Transmission Fluid flush (Estimate, including fluid - $140)

Do 4 siphons one week apart via dipstick tube with a fluid extractor, total fluid(Valvoline Maxlife) should be about 12-16 quarts at $4-5/qt = less than $80

- Flush Brake system (Estimate-$90)

No more 2 quarts brake fluid is needed for a complete flush, total part: $10-12

- Cooling System Flush (Estimate-$130)

2 gallons concentrate Zerex G05, cost: about $30.

- BG Fuel/Air Induction Service (Estimate-$140)

4 bottles Chevron Techron 3k miles apart, cost $28-30 at O'Reilly with buy 1 get 1 free.

A good fluid extractor can be bought for less than $100 (Mityvac MV7201 is about $70 from Amazon), it can be used to extract engine oil too.

I bought 1 more than 10 years ago, I saved more than 10 times what I paid for it by doing various jobs with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: widman
I don't like flushes except a corroded cooling system.
Yes, change the ATF with a machine, but no flushing chemicals. Drain and fill is only partial.
Yes, change the brake fluid.
Change the Coolant
Forget the fuel system service. Keep using Techron.

Change the power steering fluid

+1 Sound advice.

Thank you folks for all suggestions. I truly appreciate all of them.

I wonder how 'flush' and 'drain and fill' differ. If I understood correctly, when you 'flush' you clean the heck out of the system (with cleaning agents?) and then refill. With 'Drain and fill', you only remove the liquid that is out by gravity in an hour or so and refill, right?

I would like to know why 'flush' is not recommended by some folks (and some have done it for years at their workplace successfully). I am not doubting anything/anyone. I just want to understand it.

HTSS_TR,
I swear to god, I would love to have a neighbor/friend like you. I so want to do so many things myself, but I am total noob when it comes to the car. I can't even change cabin air filter. I have seen that video so many times on Youtube, but I am not confident at all. So unless I have a godfather like you, I won't be doing any of it myself. (But thanks for all advice. If I do learn eventually, I know now how I can do it).

Edit: A question to HTSS_TR,
Why would you put '4' bottles of Techron every 3000 miles? I thought you put only 1 bottle, and thats what the instructions say. My car gas tank is about 12 gallons, so I put 1 bottle of 10oz every time.

Last edited:
MoneyJohn: The transmission "flush" may not be a real flush and may be a drain and refill, or a pump aided drain and refill. The cooling system may be the same, too, at least if they're following the usual Nissan practices and there's not a bunch of corrosion. None of those services are bad ideas, really, though I'm a little uncertain about the last one.

If you look online, you likely can find the factory service manual for your vehicle. Using it, you may or may not want to tackle a few more jobs. In either case, you'll certainly learn a bit more about them. Besides, you never know what you can accomplish until you try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back