Durability of Toyota 5.7 liter vs 4.7 liter V8's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2UZ-FE(4.7 liter) has proven itself to be fairly bulletproof. There are many instances of these engines going 300,000+ miles. How is the 5.7 Liter engine stacking up in terms of durability and reliability?

I have been looking for a 1st ten double cab because of the drivetrain but have been offered a great deal on an 08 with 88,000 miles on it

Different engine families. But you knew that.

4.6/5.7 family is UR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UR_engine

4.7 family is UZ: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UZ_engine

IIRC the only knocks I've heard against the 4.7 is sometimes they crack an exhaust manifold. The 4.6/5.7 have had a few issues, mostly limited to water pumps leaking. Biggest issue is the FFV 5.7's; for some reason the ECU can get stuck into thinking it's being fed E85. No idea on what the fix is, but I've read a number of complaints. The Tundra 4.6 is not FFV and does not have that. The 4.6 is a nice upgrade to the 4.7; similar torque but more hp in the upper rev's--and no timing belt.

The 4.6/5.7 also gained another cog in the transmission, now a six speed, so the extra hp/tq did not come with an mpg penalty.

I'm guessing the 4.7 is probably a longer lived engine--but odds are any of them will last 200k+ easily. 300k, well if you can keep rust at bay...

Last edited:
My cousin has a 5.7 litre in a tundra. The knock sensor went haywire and the truck thought it was being fed e-85 and had the timing advanced so far forward it was pre-igniting at idle.
Happened very shortly after he chose to wash his engine at a car wash. Other than that and a water pump at 100k he says it's been very reliable.
He pulls a 5th wheel around all summer with his wife and kids and has in excess of 250k on it thus far. He bought it new.
He does complain about fuel consumption though,even unloaded apparently it's very thirsty however how fuel efficient can a 6000 pound truck realistically be right.
All the interior toys like seats and windows still work fine so that's something to consider as well.

The 4.6 vs 5.7 debate has most owners leaning towards the 5.7. Unloaded the 4.6 might eek out a better mpg, but it seems most owners get similar mpg. Loaded the 5.7 seems to eek out better. You really really have to baby it, and you might get 20mpg it seems. Maybe. I've read of as high as 22 on flat ground / 2WD, but most are less.

If the 5.7 has FFV badging I might skip. If it was non-FFV I'd entertain it. Tow package brings 4.3:1 gears, and I think until this year(?) all 5.7's had the tow package. Non-tow would be 4.1's which would alter mpg's.

2010 brought in a less reliable steering rack, so an '08 would not have that issue. Did see some complaints about differentials and wheel bearings, but I'm not sure those are widespread. Driveshaft thunk shows up too; might be due to lack of U-joint greasing (or not).

It basically comes down to 1st gen tundra with the 4.7 liter v8 or the 2nd gen Tundra with the 5.7. I don't think I am going to go with the 4.6 liter v8 in the 2nd gen because it is such a big truck

I was wanting an 05 or 06 double cab because of the 2UZ-FE engine and the 5 speed transmission and have found a few to consider but was offered an 08 with the 5.7 and I will find out about if its FFV or not

Thanks for the responses so far!

I don't believe there was a FFV in '08 so you should be good. My '07 with the 5.7 has 160k miles...1 water pump and a few sets of tires and regular maintenance. It still runs like it did on day one! I'm keeping it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back