2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - VM 3.0L Turbo Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The up charge keeps a lot of people out of them. Nice option though, in time the numbers should come in a bit on them.

Have a 2014 JGC Diesel, did lot of research looked at 100 or so oil samples from VW,MB,BMW etc using low SAPS oil, the common denominator was high wear, Fe, Al etc. sometimes above 100ppm in regular OCI. I'm seeing more concern for keeping the DPF from become plastered with antiwear metals to downgrade its performance rather than have concern for the engine itself.

After the time suck of research i'm running Rotella T5 10W30. May switch over to T6 or M1 TDT in summer. 10W30 has less vi improvers, good soot control, and anti wear.

FWIW, i'm getting 27mpg 50/50 mix city highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rockydee
The up charge keeps a lot of people out of them. Nice option though, in time the numbers should come in a bit on them.

Yea the up charge is pretty steep for a lot of people. I love the looks of it though, better IMO than anything else in its class.

That is why I got my 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel. Chrysler had no idea how to up charge it. I got it for a whopping $500 more than the 3.7L gas version! Great little VM 2.8L 4 banger. I got onto VM's website when I bought this, and they designed it to be for a B50 life (less than 50% of the engines would need major repair or overhaul) of 300,000 miles. Same engine they where putting in some marine applications. Jeep had been selling the Liberty (called Cherokee in Europe) with 2.5L VM diesels for some time and decide to build 11,000 for the N. American market with the 2.8L. Too bad the 2007 emission mandates killed the project. And I think those emission standards are the primary inflated cost of the diesel GC now.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
That is why I got my 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel. Chrysler had no idea how to up charge it. I got it for a whopping $500 more than the 3.7L gas version! Great little VM 2.8L 4 banger. I got onto VM's website when I bought this, and they designed it to be for a B50 life (less than 50% of the engines would need major repair or overhaul) of 300,000 miles. Same engine they where putting in some marine applications. Jeep had been selling the Liberty (called Cherokee in Europe) with 2.5L VM diesels for some time and decide to build 11,000 for the N. American market with the 2.8L. Too bad the 2007 emission mandates killed the project. And I think those emission standards are the primary inflated cost of the diesel GC now.

For $500 more I would have been all over it in a heartbeat. You scored big time on your Liberty!

Yeah those are rare birds I'd be interested in a diesel Liberty as well. So they were only available in 2006?

They built 5000 in 2005 and 6000 in 2006. I got one of the last builds in June of 2006. It was assembled in October of 2005. Just sat on a lot in Geneseo IL. Had my dealer in Knoxville IA go get it. I had been searching for one and they checked all the U.S. dealers and found one spec'd identical to what I wanted and the color.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: rockydee

Yea the up charge is pretty steep for a lot of people. I love the looks of it though, better IMO than anything else in its class.

I look at this as the equivalent to the Lexus RX450h. Both get around 28-30 mpg, and cost around $50k. The Lexus design has been fairly similar since forever, but it's a good design. Ditto for the iterations of the wagoner/JGC over time... The JGC has always been a pricy vehicle, but a nice one. So IMO folks must just consider if they would rather have the Lexus or the JGC. As a dieseler myself, I'd give the JGC a look if I were in the market, but the test I'd love to see is this vs the 450h in a head to head comparison.

Well the Lexus is kind of a "dad" vehicle, so the jeep may be the better option. If she is so swayed by a symbol on the nose of a car, she's not worth the time or money anyway.

But most will get the Lexus if it's the same money and same MPGs, I'm sure. But let's call a spade a spade... The 450h is a nice vehicle.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

The 2.5 VM engined Cherokee (Liberty) was much more common with the 2.8 in Europe.

The 2.5 was found mostly in more lower spec models.

The 2.5 engine has been fitted in the TX4 London Taxi since 2006. And has now been fitted with a dpf system to meet Euro5

It isn't the most reliable engine.

And needs very good maintenance.

Most common fault is bottom end failure.

I used to rent out a TX4. It is still on the original engine at well over 200k. But many have failed before 80k.

Trick seems to be use full synth oil.

Many that have gone bang were dealer serviced. And they specced semi synth.

Haven't heard of any going bang that have been ran on fully synth.

Only time i used semi i changed it at 6/7k

I found lowest oil use, the engine also seemed a bit quicker believe it or not, with good old Mobil 1 0w40 New Life.

I do like the look of the new Jeep above.

But find it a little too similar to the new RR and RRS.

Both of which have the awesome 3.0v6 twin turbo diesel as fitted to my Jag. And with the later 8speed ZF box which is super smooth.

I would have a diesel Range Rover Sport to be honest.

But certainly wouldn't be unhappy with a Jeep like the OP's.

Jeeps depreciate badly in the UK.

So it is on the shortlist when the Pathfinder has to go.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Have a 2014 JGC Diesel, did lot of research looked at 100 or so oil samples from VW,MB,BMW etc using low SAPS oil, the common denominator was high wear, Fe, Al etc. sometimes above 100ppm in regular OCI. I'm seeing more concern for keeping the DPF from become plastered with antiwear metals to downgrade its performance rather than have concern for the engine itself.

After the time suck of research i'm running Rotella T5 10W30. May switch over to T6 or M1 TDT in summer. 10W30 has less vi improvers, good soot control, and anti wear.

FWIW, i'm getting 27mpg 50/50 mix city highway.

You really can't compare engines like that though especially over long OCI's

Don't do yourself a disservice and use the wrong oil. Also don't forget that diesel engines can take upwards of 50k mile to break-in. It wasn't uncommon on VW's to not see wear metals drop gradually to that point and then settle. It most likely expects a fully synthetic oil to prevent top end wear on a cold start. T5 is not and I would be weary especially under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back