Who's Running Oversize oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you guys running the oversize version for your car ?

The standard size for my car is a rather small filter. The oversize version is 1.61 inches longer. I've had the oversize version on there before, but it hung down past the oil pan about 1 inch. The only reason I'm thinking about going oversize again is because I'm thinking about going with a pricey synthetic media filter - and I figure I'd get more cleaning power with the oversize version.

AC DELCO PF47
Thread Size: M18X1.50
Top Outside Diameter (In): 2.970 Inch
Bottom Outside Diameter (In): 2.970 Inch
Height (In): 3.350 Inch
Anti-Drainback Valve Included: Yes

AC DELCO PF52
Thread Size: M18X1.50
Top Outside Diameter (In): 2.970 Inch
Bottom Outside Diameter (In): 2.970 Inch
Height (In): 4.960 Inch
Anti-Drainback Valve Included: Yes

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an supersized filter for my car, standard oil filter is OC47, oversize is OC51, supersize is OC105. More oil capacity can only be a good thing..

BTW nobody runs an oil filter. You can run a marathon, you can run an egg&spoon race, you can run on a treadmill, you can't run an oil filter.

You can USE an oil filter but youu can't run one because it's not a race.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I use an supersized filter for my car, standard oil filter is OC47, oversize is OC51, supersize is OC105. More oil capacity can only be a good thing..

BTW nobody runs an oil filter. You can run a marathon, you can run an egg&spoon race, you can run on a treadmill, you can't run an oil filter.

You can USE an oil filter but youu can't run one because it's not a race.

I suppose you can't "run the numbers" either or have "run off" or "run that by me again".

I do know though that you can't "use an supersized filter". You can "use a supersized filter".

Originally Posted By: TrevorS

I do know though that you can't "use an supersized filter". You can "use a supersized filter".

Correct
grin2.gif

So, as you appear to be familiar with the rules of grammar and able to use them properly, why do you 'run' an oil filter?
wink.gif

Because they're from America where half of what they say is grammatically incorrect. Plus its colloquial eg "What are you running?" is a common question.

You're in England so have less of an excuse, but I suspect you are an import and have better English than the natives!

When you turn on a faucet, are you not running the water?

What does oil do when it travels through an oil filter? It runs through it.

You English people need to start speaking proper English.

And by the way, it's not "straight away," it's "right away."

Well I'm running a Purolator L40316 which appears to be a Mann W950/4 dressed up in white on our Jetta w/1.8T. It is a monster. Adds about 3/4 quart of capacity to the 5 1/4 quart system. Hopefully extra capacity helps oil temps promoting turbo longevity and resistance to sludging.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
When you turn on a faucet, are you not running the water?

What does oil do when it travels through an oil filter? It runs through it.

You English people need to start speaking proper English.

And by the way, it's not "straight away," it's "right away."

When I turn on a tap(not faucet) I'm filling the sink/bath/bucket/kettle/whatever

Oil is pumped through an oil filter by the pump - oil doesn't have legs.

"right away" is an Americanism, "straight away" is English.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Someone has a run in their stockings.
lol.gif

grin2.gif

Its so easy to wind you guys up!
Fram rulez!! 20w50 dino in alaska!!

no air filter for moar powerrrr

I'm only joking guys, c'mon, maybe you Americans need to develop a sense of humour after you digest the contents found here;
http://www.grammarbook.com/english_rules.asp

peace and love and smiles from the UK

I absolutely run oversize!

All my Saturns get the longer PL20195, M1-209, Wix/NAPA 1516/51516.

Get to put run an extra 1/2 quart of oil too!
banana2.gif

My '83 Chevy 305 Grand Prix spec's a PL15313
My father always ran, and still does the "Truck" 350 engine filter specification number which is PL34631

Near on double the size. Plus a ADBV which the stock application # lacks.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Someone has a run in their stockings.
lol.gif

grin2.gif

Its so easy to wind you guys up!
Fram rulez!! 20w50 dino in alaska!!

no air filter for moar powerrrr

I'm only joking guys, c'mon, maybe you Americans need to develop a sense of humour after you digest the contents found here;
http://www.grammarbook.com/english_rules.asp

peace and love and smiles from the UK

While we're all joking here, why don't you blokes on the other side of the Pond create your own oil forum site "Bobistheoilbloke.co.uk"????? Bloody [censored] Chaps, I say which oil do you prefer under the bonnet? ;-)

And yes I do RUN an oversized filter!

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: Turk

banana2.gif

Same here. Main benefit is it sticks out enough to find it over the axle shaft, so I don't have to grope in an engine cavity. An oil filter wrench, if necessary, gets a better angle too.

The one flaw is if one has to replace the alternator, they can't do it strictly by the book out the fender well-- the filter has to come off.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Turk

banana2.gif

Same here. Main benefit is it sticks out enough to find it over the axle shaft, so I don't have to grope in an engine cavity. An oil filter wrench, if necessary, gets a better angle too.

The one flaw is if one has to replace the alternator, they can't do it strictly by the book out the fender well-- the filter has to come off.

Yep. We cannot forget the Amsoil EaO34.

You know what's REAL CRAZY?? I have all the part numbers memorized.
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

Used to run oversized filter in my old A4, mainly to increase the rather small oil capacity.

My current cars have generous oil capacity, so that problem is gone. Besides, the size of the oil filter housing is fixed, so I couldn't easily use a larger filter anyway.

A few days ago, I installed a new battery of my friends truck.

Without thinking about it, I actually said "pop the hood" rather than "open the bonnet" I stood there cringing at how easily that came out of my mouth.

7 yrs in FL has changed much!!

Tally Ho!

Was his windscreen dirty? How 'bout them tire hubs? Were they al-u-mini-um? Do you believe you can "run" an oil filter?

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
A few days ago, I installed a new battery of my friends truck.

Without thinking about it, I actually said "pop the hood" rather than "open the bonnet" I stood there cringing at how easily that came out of my mouth.

7 yrs in FL has changed much!!

Tally Ho!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back