NAPA Gold vs. NAPA Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just dawned upon me this evening that I have absolutely no clue why I chose to recently buy a couple NAPA Silver filters instead of NAPA Gold filters when I was out buying filters for my gasser.

Just what are the differences? The lady at the parts counter asserted that both the NAPA Gold and the Silver filters were both made by Wix, but was unable to provide me any other information on the differences.

Anyone?

I don't know for sure but would guess it may be parallel to the differences between a Purolator PremiumPlus and PureOne: the type of media (which affects filtration efficiency) and the silicone ADBV.
No much information in their web page .

If you do a search on this forum, you should find some answers. I know it has been discussed before. I believe the Gold is a Wix, but I think the silver was a different brand, not sure. Don't think it was a bad filter, just that the Gold is better. It also may be that the bypass is in the opposite end (bottom of can) in the Silver. Not necessairly bad as many Purolators are this way and they are good filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
In the past, NAPA sourced the Silvers from WIX. Silvers had the same construction details as the Golds including base plate position for the bypass valve. However, the Silvers had a black antidrainback flap and rumor has it that they also used an all paper filtration medium instead of the Gold's paper/glass fiber filtration medium. Whether any or all of these factors make for a better oil filter might be determined by flow and trapped contamination testing, but it's questionable whether a given engine would go ten miles further over its useful life with conscientious use of Golds. NAPA's current source for the Silver line is anyone's guess.

All NAPA's filters are made by Wix. I'm not sure why you think they aren't. They are simply a Wix with a different media and non-silicone ADBV.

-T

On the counter of my local Napa store they have a display that shows a fram then a silver then a gold cut open for comparison.
The silver is plainly superior to the fram. The construction and amount of filter media on the silver was obviously superior. While the gold looked the same but with even more filter media.

Anybody remember when Kmart was selling the Penske/Castrol filters? I had cut up all 3 levels of the "3980" equivalent.
They were all virtually identical, and obviously made by Wix. The top-of-the-line version had obviously thicker media, and stated on the box it was synthetic enhanced, the other 2 std levels were using a thinner grade of paper, and contained slightly more sq inches (the upper grade could not hold any more media-it was packed pretty tight..)
I do not remember any diff in the adbv material.
The pictures I have seen of Napa silvers did not look like std Wix construction, but could have changed since then- point is that at least when they were making Penske/Castrol it was clear they had upper and lower grades that had same basic design. As always, it's an ongoing verification with this stuff huh?
Later,
Rando

quote:

Originally posted by rshaw125:
The silver is plainly superior to the fram.

What isn't?
lol.gif

In the past, NAPA sourced the Silvers from WIX. Silvers had the same construction details as the Golds including base plate position for the bypass valve. However, the Silvers had a black antidrainback flap and rumor has it that they also used an all paper filtration medium instead of the Gold's paper/glass fiber filtration medium. Whether any or all of these factors make for a better oil filter might be determined by flow and trapped contamination testing, but it's questionable whether a given engine would go ten miles further over its useful life with conscientious use of Golds. NAPA's current source for the Silver line is anyone's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back