different oil for generator in cold weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run rotella t6 5w40 in both of my generators. Good for blazing summer and freezing winter. Never had a problem.

Can you post a picture of that chart? The one for my Guardian shows synthetic 5W-30 being good for any temperature.

Originally Posted By: MKZman
My Guardian references 5w-30 synthetic but the usage range tops out at 10 F. 10W-30 -10 to 40 F, above 32 use 30.

Originally Posted By: lumpy_grits
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
NO. You need an HD ODPE oil. See DOOG's post.

Honda clearly calls out for SJ service oil, for all of their gennys.
wink.gif

Here's one ops manual to show you....
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31Z07610.pdf

LG

that owners manual on page 28 says - dont use 5w 30 above 32 degrees F. so same for 0 - 30 oil

Last edited:
after i break in my predator 2500 and predator 8750 harbor freight generators with case ih no. 1 oil (10w30) Im going to run Briggs & Stratton 5w30 1005 synthetic oil. I can get it at 6.99 a quart at my local small engine dealer. the case oil we use on our farm for winter use in some of our diesel engines.

I'm in my toasty warm house listening to the steady drone of my 8 year old Troy Bilt 5500 watt 10 HP generator that has been running almost non stop for the last 4 days since an ice storm hit last Friday at five thirty AM. It's hard wired into my house and I have been selectively using lights and appliances and it has ran flawlessly for 4 days on WM supertech 30 wt and hasn't used a drop of oil and has started the first pull after each fuel up. Just sayin!

Originally Posted By: chewy781
after i break in my predator 2500 and predator 8750 harbor freight generators with case ih no. 1 oil (10w30) Im going to run Briggs & Stratton 5w30 1005 synthetic oil. I can get it at 6.99 a quart at my local small engine dealer. the case oil we use on our farm for winter use in some of our diesel engines.

I work at Lowe's in northern NJ and we sell the B&S 5W-30 synthetic oil for $5.98/qt. Use a Lowe's credit card and save another 5% or look for a Lowe's "moving coupon" at the post office for a 10% discount, CAN'T combine for a 15% discount though
frown.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back