Fram Cartridge Filter Extra Guard vs Tough Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend I was at Walmart to buy something, I stopped by the oil section to see if they have interesting thing.

I opened 2 Fram cartridge oil filter boxes of the same part number, one is Extra Guard and one is Tough Guard. They are identical with my naked eyes, from plastic end caps(top and bottom) to very thin filter media. The only difference is one filter is stamped with TGxxx and the other with PHxxx, both are made in USA.

The Tough Guard is about $6 more than Extra Guard, $14.xx and $8.xx.

Pics, this is BITOG we need PICTURES man!

beer3.gif

Filters have been switched at WM before, did you happen to check more than one box to see if they were all like that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Including the name stamping?

Missed that part ... maybe the OP needs some spectacles.
grin.gif

The filters have not been swapped, or they would not have the TGxxxx and PHxxxx stamps ...

The TG media is an uprated, higher efficiency, glass-enhanced type cellulose. It is "better" than the straight cellulose of the EG media. Not unlike Wix and Napa; they have cellulose, glass-enhanced, and syn media. So does Bosch. Etc ...

You're not likely to be able to distinguish the difference with your eyes. You must rely on the stamps to tell you which is which. The difference between cellulose and glass-enhanced is difficult, if not impossible to see.

Quote:
TG filter 14$!!!!!watttt!!! I paid 5.99 for mine...i guess oil filters be $$ in Cali...

The OP is referencing 'cartridge' filters, pricing tends to be quite different than everyday spin on filter pricing.

It's also how the OP was able to make an in-store appearance based observation regarding media similarities.
56.gif

I do not recall TG cartridge filters to be in the neighbourhood of $14, but I suppose that will vary among the different applications. Still, $14 doesn't sound correct.

I have a couple XG9972 in my stash which I bought in Colorado Springs. I know for sure the price was nowhere near $14.

The Extra Guard and Tough Guard for my Toyota Land Cruiser look identical except for the end caps.

They were black for the EG and orange for the TG.

Media looked exactly the same.

Both were hecto en China.

Neither were in my shopping cart.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The filters have not been swapped, or they would not have the TGxxxx and PHxxxx stamps ...

The TG media is an uprated, higher efficiency, glass-enhanced type cellulose. It is "better" than the straight cellulose of the EG media. Not unlike Wix and Napa; they have cellulose, glass-enhanced, and syn media. So does Bosch. Etc ...

You're not likely to be able to distinguish the difference with your eyes. You must rely on the stamps to tell you which is which. The difference between cellulose and glass-enhanced is difficult, if not impossible to see.

I think you're right. I couldn't tell the difference between the two by looking at it.

Looking at some pictures of cut opened spin on filters, the TG media seems to be thicker than EG, so I expected the same for cartridge filter. I was surprise to see identical media with my eyes.

Hi,
I am the Tech Director at FRAM. The only difference between a EG and TG cartridge filter is synthetic content of the media. The EG is 95.7% efficient@20 microns and is a blend of around 80% cellulose and 20% synthetic glass. The TG is 99% efficient@20 microns and has 30-35% synthetic content. In spin on filters, the TG would have a silicone ADBV were the EG ADBV would be nitrile rubber.
BTW- We have invested millions into building cartridge oil filter lines in the USA and soon over 85% of our cartridge filters will be made here.

The synthetic content increases by 10-15%(probably extra cost is no more than 50 cents) and the price increases by 65-70%, Fram has much better profit margin on TG cartridge filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back