Doe anyone run E-85 on a Regular basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be a typo. I added a ton of timing when I went to E85. Hope he gets the QJ worked out. They are the best for fuel curve calibration. Edelbrock is next.

No, he was quite specific on his E85 tune...idle mixture and 10 degrees retard.

metering rods etc. came later when he worked out that wouldn't wash.

Ok I said clockwise but I should have said counterclockwise. I do know how to advance timing. You've not been very nice in previous threads so I assumed your were referring to me.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
If it is the best cost benefit to use, then go for it! I am about to pull the trigger on a Diablo Intune programmer and use the 93 octane performance tune along with E85 in my 2013 Siverado with 5.3L flex fuel and see how it plays out for me. I have read of others doing it that way, and Diablo emphasizes that using that 93 octane tune with E85 is a win-win. And with the Intune, I can tweak the settings considerably. I run E85 almost exclusively, os it is the best situation to test this out.

If your vehicle is a flex fuel it has a tune for e-85 already programmed into the ecu. A tuner isn't going to help in any way.
The ecu advances the timing significantly,hence the power boost,when running corn.
In order to truly improve on this stock tuning you'd need to get the vehicle dyno-tuned,otherwise your throwing money away
I have an intune and have it tuning my charger right now. There is no provision for ethanol.
Get it dynotuned.

The Diablo was for the ECM enhancements over stock with a 93 octane tune, shutting down AFM, and firming up the shifts. Just so happens that the E85 fits nicely into that parameter. Plenty of comments about this in the forums at DiabloSport. I just installed the Diablo 93 tune, and after running it for a couple of weeks and let it settle in, I am going to get Andy at Dynotune USA in S.D. to work up a custom E85 tune on top of it. That is his specialty, E85. I have to have it running a tune and then do a log file for Andy to tweak the Diablo tune best for my vehicle.

So, not really sure that I am throwing any money away. This is the same procedure that others use in getting Lew or one of the other CMR custom tuner people to work up a vehicle specific tune. It doesn't have to go on a dyno to get a good ECM tune. The log files tell all that is needed.

I have that exact tuner. Touch screen.
Letting a tube settle in? Are you serious.
You obviously know very little about how your ecu is programmed and how tuning a fuel injected vehicle and I've got no interest in spelling it our.
Let us know the tune "settles in"

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Shannow
When I put E85 in my 75 vette I just raise the hood and adjust the idle mixture

That's lean (extremely so) everywhere but at idle.

then turn the distributor about 10 degrees clockwise and go.

That's just plain retarded...

I find you to be a very unprofessional engineer. Do you get like this when someone questions you at work? This gives me doubt that you are an engineer.

How do you know how my Quadrajet is jetted? Do you know what a QJ is? Even if it's way lean i'll never burn a piston in that engine on ethanol. Obviously it's a compromise. When E85 is available close to me, i'll rejet it and modify the idle circuit to be richer. Another option is just to run lean at part throttle then have overly rich secondary rods. The secondary metering rods on a QJ are on a simple hanger that can be changed out in about 1 minute.

Lots of gearheads tune by the ear. Advance the timing until you get just a touch of detonation at WOT then back down a few degrees. By adjusting timing In this way on E85, I've found it never detonates! The performance just falls off when overly advanced.

Let me get this straight. You advance the timing til it audibly breaks up then dial it back a bit.
How would the car even run. The timing would be advanced so far the fuel would be exploding while the piston was on the upstroke and make an audio noise.
When I was playing with higher octane in my 5.0 fox I advanced the timing then I'd have to drive to see at what rpm it started to break up.
A 75 corvette would have vacuum advance too,so are you unplugging the vacuum line prior to adjustment or leaving it on.

I have serious trouble believing any of this
It's just all wrong. The devil is in the details and we in this forum are all about details.
I'm pretty sure you're lying. Your finding whatever info on the net,remembering a few key words and coming back pretending to have a clue.
Shannon called it. You clearly explained your method and you described retarding the timing,not advancing it.
I'm positive now. You're a complete phoney
It's very sad having to resort to making up stuff on an anonymous internet discussion board.
Turt
Do you even really own a car?

Unless ole turty's corvette is powered with a ford engine he's got his timing routine backwards.
75 corvettes were slow stock. Maybe his bass akwards timing explano has helped things.......
Naaaaaaaaaaa

Originally Posted By: Shannow
When I put E85 in my 75 vette I just raise the hood and adjust the idle mixture

That's lean (extremely so) everywhere but at idle.

then turn the distributor about 10 degrees clockwise and go.

That's just plain retarded...

I find you to be a very unprofessional engineer. Do you get like this when someone questions you at work? This gives me doubt that you are an engineer.

How do you know how my Quadrajet is jetted? Do you know what a QJ is? Even if it's way lean i'll never burn a piston in that engine on ethanol. Obviously it's a compromise. When E85 is available close to me, i'll rejet it and modify the idle circuit to be richer. Another option is just to run lean at part throttle then have overly rich secondary rods. The secondary metering rods on a QJ are on a simple hanger that can be changed out in about 1 minute.

Lots of gearheads tune by the ear. Advance the timing until you get just a touch of detonation at WOT then back down a few degrees. By adjusting timing In this way on E85, I've found it never detonates! The performance just falls off when overly advanced.

Let me get this straight. You advance the timing til it audibly breaks up then dial it back a bit.
How would the car even run. The timing would be advanced so far the fuel would be exploding while the piston was on the upstroke and make an audio noise.
When I was playing with higher octane in my 5.0 fox I advanced the timing then I'd have to drive to see at what rpm it started to break up.
A 75 corvette would have vacuum advance too,so are you unplugging the vacuum line prior to adjustment or leaving it on.

I have serious trouble believing any of this
It's just all wrong. The devil is in the details and we in this forum are all about details.
I'm pretty sure you're lying. Your finding whatever info on the net,remembering a few key words and coming back pretending to have a clue.
Shannon called it. You clearly explained your method and you described retarding the timing,not advancing it.
I'm positive now. You're a complete phoney
It's very sad having to resort to making up stuff on an anonymous internet discussion board.
Turt
Do you even really own a car?

I've been working on the trans am lately. It's dizzy rotates counter clockwise. The chevy rotates clockwise. I got confused.

Congratulations you "got me" on something. Better write down the time and date.

You sound like someone who's really not very mechanically inclined.
Many gearheads:
1. advance timing.
2. take the car for a WOT blast.
3. if no detonation sound, advance some more
4. take the care for another WOT blast
5. if detonation retard a few degrees.

The fact that I have to spell this out for you means, you're the keyboard car guru. Let me know if you need any help with your chrysler

shannow, clevy, stevesrt8,

Its not about whether a chevy distributor rotates counter clockwise or clockwise.

The point is, in a pinch anything can run on E85. You guys can walk when the oil embargo hits like the other stubborn old geezers.

shannow, clevy, stevesrt8,

Its not about whether a chevy distributor rotates counter clockwise or clockwise.

The point is, in a pinch anything can run on E85. You guys can walk when the oil embargo hits like the other stubborn old geezers.

Lots of oil in my backyard. I'm not concerned.
And no. Forget e-85. We've proven you to be a phoney,a fraud. You've sat up on your high horse preaching at anyone who'd read it and your own words have exposed you as a liar.
You tried to take a shot at me over my data collection using mos2,implying I was in some way dishonest when in total truth you are the one trying to deceive.
Here's a tip. Don't go into a car forum when you've only read the cliff notes and post as some sort of authority. You'll be exposed,as you've been exposed here as a liar.
Enjoy your membership at bitog.
Do your homework,get educated,because here we WILL sweat the details,you know those things you missed as you glanced over the Wikipedia articles on these subjects you were trying to fake knowing about.
Poor ole turt. I've got 20 says he doesn't even have a car. The corvette belongs to the neighbour and poor ole turt overheard his dad and neighbour talking.
Which brings us to today. Exposed as a fraud.
Time for a new username,and to get educated.
Footinmouth has a nice ring to it.

Lots of oil in my backyard. I'm not concerned.

Right, so why does a Canadian stick his nose in American politics? A lot of you do that and I'm getting sick of it. If we want to plant the whole country to make ethanol, it's our business and none of yours.

P off. The aussies can take a hike too.

Right, so why does a Canadian stick his nose in American politics?

As Clevy said, we have a lot of oil in our backyard. So does the U.S. He's not poking his nose into U.S. politics, much less ethanol production. The point is that there's no reason to be concerned about an oil embargo, unless places like North Dakota or Alaska secede from the Union.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Right, so why does a Canadian stick his nose in American politics?

As Clevy said, we have a lot of oil in our backyard. So does the U.S. He's not poking his nose into U.S. politics, much less ethanol production. The point is that there's no reason to be concerned about an oil embargo, unless places like North Dakota or Alaska secede from the Union.

We need to be concerned with our own security. Sorry if I don't feel that someone sitting way way up in Canada has a stake in that.

People here couldn't drive their cars when there were hurricanes in the gulf. If they had another choice that wouldn't have happened.

He was not asking that we have a stake in your energy security, nor does he think you shouldn't be concerned with your security. An oil embargo would hurt other nations far more than it would hurt the U.S. - and Canada, for that matter. This isn't the 1970s any longer. Aside from that, there's never a way to guarantee to avoid a shortage of a commodity, be it fuel, food, or ethanol.

Energy self-reliance can only work as good as the infrastructure allows. Pipelines and railways age and need replacement. Droughts occur.

Last edited:
I'm glad clevy has appointed you as his proxy. You're much more worthy to debate me.

Please run the hurricane scenario of a few years back. If E85 was widely available would we have had the panic in the streets? Think about it and let me know.

I can think of all kinds of domestic and worldwide scenarios that would cause dire shortages of gasoline. Having a competing product will prevent or minimize the damage, even if it does come at some cost.

Don't think we don't know many of your jobs up there depend on oil. Strip out the bias. Be intellectually honest.

The point being is that the USA definitely has the potential of being energy independent, and that's with or without ethanol. And that's not a knock on ethanol, either. As I've mentioned before, I have no bias against ethanol. I used to intentionally seek out E10 long before anyone in government ever considered requiring it. I'd still be supporting that particular gas station (and using some of the only ethanol enhanced premium on the market here) if they didn't gut their rewards program. And I'm well aware of the difference between using food grade grain (human food) versus feed grade grain (animal food) in ethanol production. So, I'm not one of those who's crying about using food for fuel. That's a weak argument since farmers do not (and realistically cannot) choose to grow a lower quality, lower priced version of the same product. Ethanol simply isn't the complete answer, either. Also note that this province produces a fair amount of oil. It's ethanol and grain production, particularly the latter, are very large, too. So, it's not about choosing one over the other.

And, as you may have noticed, I don't sit and grumble about what "evil" ethanol does to fuel systems or what its emissions impact is. The former is the fault of companies and their disposable equipment (a $100 lawnmower has a shorter shelf life than the fuel, for crying out loud) and the latter is up to automotive engineers to seek a solution.

As for ethanol alternatives in America's quest for energy independence, there's natural gas, for starters. The USA doesn't exactly have minute fossil resources, either. There is the potential there for the USA to be the world's largest oil producer.

The hurricane is one example. There are always counter-examples, too. Road and rail disruptions are issues, too. Everyone up here is panicked about rail safety and not enough grain transportation. We all know how panicked people get about pipelines. If you cannot reliably transport or transmit energy, there will be problems. Ethanol isn't immune to this. Neither is natural gas, petroleum, or electricity.

Or a drought in the Great Plains.

Oh and they do have another choice BTW, it is oil from North Dakota - despite vigorous attempts to deny this option.

People here couldn't drive their cars when there were hurricanes in the gulf. If they had another choice that wouldn't have happened.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...ia-9185133.html

No hurricanes in North Dakota, Wyoming or Montana either. The article notes that we are also burning off "outlandish" quantities of natural gas due to an inability to capture it.

Also note that a lot of the oil is being moved by train, tell me again how this is safer than a pipeline?

Originally Posted By: Garak
The point being is that the USA definitely has the potential of being energy independent, and that's with or without ethanol.

As for ethanol alternatives in America's quest for energy independence, there's natural gas, for starters. The USA doesn't exactly have minute fossil resources, either. There is the potential there for the USA to be the world's largest oil producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back