Doe anyone run E-85 on a Regular basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put in that qt. of Acetone I bought. Noticeable difference mainly at 5" manifold vacuum or 56% load. Set up another tune just for this mixture of 100:1. Dialing in the MAF and topped off the tank with 3 gals. of 87. Got 12.0 mpg but hoping for more. Truck has sat for over 3 weeks while I was hibernating thru this bad cold snap.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
I now have another question. I've found lacquer thinner on sale and was wondering if I could use it instead of Acetone?

I never have. Only acetone,toluene or xylene.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
The thinner is like the others? I would like to give it a try.

Its your car. I guess it can't be any worse than the others,and the treat rate is pretty diluted.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
If it is the best cost benefit to use, then go for it! I am about to pull the trigger on a Diablo Intune programmer and use the 93 octane performance tune along with E85 in my 2013 Siverado with 5.3L flex fuel and see how it plays out for me. I have read of others doing it that way, and Diablo emphasizes that using that 93 octane tune with E85 is a win-win. And with the Intune, I can tweak the settings considerably. I run E85 almost exclusively, os it is the best situation to test this out.

If your vehicle is a flex fuel it has a tune for e-85 already programmed into the ecu. A tuner isn't going to help in any way.
The ecu advances the timing significantly,hence the power boost,when running corn.
In order to truly improve on this stock tuning you'd need to get the vehicle dyno-tuned,otherwise your throwing money away
I have an intune and have it tuning my charger right now. There is no provision for ethanol.
Get it dynotuned.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If it is the best cost benefit to use, then go for it! I am about to pull the trigger on a Diablo Intune programmer and use the 93 octane performance tune along with E85 in my 2013 Siverado with 5.3L flex fuel and see how it plays out for me. I have read of others doing it that way, and Diablo emphasizes that using that 93 octane tune with E85 is a win-win. And with the Intune, I can tweak the settings considerably. I run E85 almost exclusively, os it is the best situation to test this out.

If your vehicle is a flex fuel it has a tune for e-85 already programmed into the ecu. A tuner isn't going to help in any way.
The ecu advances the timing significantly,hence the power boost,when running corn.
In order to truly improve on this stock tuning you'd need to get the vehicle dyno-tuned,otherwise your throwing money away
I have an intune and have it tuning my charger right now. There is no provision for ethanol.
Get it dynotuned.

The Diablo was for the ECM enhancements over stock with a 93 octane tune, shutting down AFM, and firming up the shifts. Just so happens that the E85 fits nicely into that parameter. Plenty of comments about this in the forums at DiabloSport. I just installed the Diablo 93 tune, and after running it for a couple of weeks and let it settle in, I am going to get Andy at Dynotune USA in S.D. to work up a custom E85 tune on top of it. That is his specialty, E85. I have to have it running a tune and then do a log file for Andy to tweak the Diablo tune best for my vehicle.

So, not really sure that I am throwing any money away. This is the same procedure that others use in getting Lew or one of the other CMR custom tuner people to work up a vehicle specific tune. It doesn't have to go on a dyno to get a good ECM tune. The log files tell all that is needed.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Get it dynotuned.

The Diablo was for the ECM enhancements over stock with a 93 octane tune, shutting down AFM, and firming up the shifts. Just so happens that the E85 fits nicely into that parameter. Plenty of comments about this in the forums at DiabloSport. I just installed the Diablo 93 tune, and after running it for a couple of weeks and let it settle in, I am going to get Andy at Dynotune USA in S.D. to work up a custom E85 tune on top of it. That is his specialty, E85. I have to have it running a tune and then do a log file for Andy to tweak the Diablo tune best for my vehicle.

So, not really sure that I am throwing any money away. This is the same procedure that others use in getting Lew or one of the other CMR custom tuner people to work up a vehicle specific tune. It doesn't have to go on a dyno to get a good ECM tune. The log files tell all that is needed.

Remote tuning is never as good as a dyno tune. I've done both.
And when your ecu senses e-85 it advances the timing way beyond what a canned 93 octane tune for gasoline.
On that tuner the way to get more performance would be to adjust the stock tune because the ecu would be running the e-85 tune.
You could advance the timing and add fuel to get a bit more power but even uploading the 93 octane tune just modifies the gasoline tune and not the e-85 tune and could actually cost you performance.
The diablo tune on that tuner is for 94 octane fuel. The one named diablo. Its a tune for gasoline,not e-85.
I doubt you could even modify the e-85 tune with the intune tuner. I have that tuner and no where is it an option
Because your vehicle is a flex fuel vehicle it uses the knock sensor to determine what fuel is being burned then adjust the fuel trims and timing. Uploading a gasoline tune for 93 octane is pointless and takes away from what the ecu is already doing.

When I put E85 in my 75 vette I just raise the hood and adjust the idle mixture then turn the distributor about 10 degrees clockwise and go. I always leave the dizzy just loose enough to turn by hand for last second performance adjustments. That's my good ole boy tune.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
When I put E85 in my 75 vette I just raise the hood and adjust the idle mixture

That's lean (extremely so) everywhere but at idle.

then turn the distributor about 10 degrees clockwise and go.

That's just plain retarded...

When I put E85 in my 75 vette I just raise the hood and adjust the idle mixture then turn the distributor about 10 degrees clockwise and go. I always leave the dizzy just loose enough to turn by hand for last second performance adjustments. That's my good ole boy tune.

Sure.
Why waste time reading plugs or actually using a timing light.
A lil twist here,a lil turn there.
Good to go
Til a piston melts.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Ha.
Smart axx

I find you to be a very unprofessional engineer. Do you get like this when someone questions you at work? This gives me doubt that you are an engineer.

How do you know how my Quadrajet is jetted? Do you know what a QJ is? Even if it's way lean i'll never burn a piston in that engine on ethanol. Obviously it's a compromise. When E85 is available close to me, i'll rejet it and modify the idle circuit to be richer. Another option is just to run lean at part throttle then have overly rich secondary rods. The secondary metering rods on a QJ are on a simple hanger that can be changed out in about 1 minute.

Lots of gearheads tune by the ear. Advance the timing until you get just a touch of detonation at WOT then back down a few degrees. By adjusting timing In this way on E85, I've found it never detonates! The performance just falls off when overly advanced.

I think it's hilarious. My lead engineer would give me the same kind of answers. After richening up the idle circuit how will you get it back to the original calibration may I ask? Yes the secondaries are ez to change but the primaries are adjustable on some to. The QJ I played with had no choke plate and would start and run cold in the winter just fine.

I find you to be a very unprofessional engineer. Do you get like this when someone questions you at work? This gives me doubt that you are an engineer.

I'm talking about how you turn the distributor...anticlockwise to advance the timing, clockwise to retard the timing...

Your timing is retarded.

A Distributor? I bet a lot of us here hardly even remember them!

I only have one engine with a distributor anymore out of a bunch! Sure made me chuckle. A whole bunch of trucks and vans here and not a one with a distributor.

But yep, I tuned many a 70's and 80's platform exactly that way. Run 'em hard and adjust to the point of detonation, then retard just a little till she shuts up.

One day maybe someone will show TV a recurve kit and a distributor machine and he won't have to be so "shade tree".

OMG a distributor machine. I had a friend that made custom distributors on his. Now my distributor is in a box that has a bunch of wires running to the engine COPs harness.

Something's seriously wrong with his E85 tune if he needs ten degrees of retard, and seriously wrong with his road tune if he's running secondary rods for E85 with gas on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back