changing color of wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a very good deal on used alloys, but they are powdercoated black (originally silver). I don't like black. How expensive is it to change the color back to silver? I'm guessing it has to be sandblasted then repainted?

Yep. Tons of places that can do it. Plan on $100/wheel. They'll also fix any curb damage at the same time.

You could always plastidip them...rubber coating you can take off.

Could have blue wheels one month, black the next.....

Yep, to keep the price down just plastidip them silver. Apply a few coats. Many videos on youtube. You don't even have to mask the tire off.

I would re powder coat them. The powder coat itself is not too expensive. Its media blasting all the old stuff off, or acid dipping it that makes the price go up.

Save money by finding a local person, if you have to ship the rims it will add to the cost.

I would shy away from Plastic Dip, though it is an idea. I just have not heard too much about it, or how durable it really is.

Stay way from just spraying them with spray paint too like from Dupli-Color. Wont last long.

If you like the rims, just pay to get them re done right.

Jeff

if you don't mount them immediately, you have plenty of time to do this yourself. sand them down to rough the surface--- 400 grit is fine. or 220.

duplicolor wheel paint is awesome stuff. practice first to get the feel of it. READ the directions, must recoat inside an hour or AFTER 7 DAYS. this stuff has a long cure time and cures good and hard. They have 3 colors now plus clear. silver (about the standard silver), graphite (very pretty) and black.

This is my go-to paint because it's very durable. also holding up fine on valve covers, engine pan and tranny pan. also did skid plates with it. not to mention wheels on my last jeep, and doors and panels on my jeep before.

Shop around if you want to have them powder coated. I've been quoted anywhere from $30 each to $100 each in the Dallas, TX area. They all included media blasting and cleanup in the price too.

I've also heard the Duplicolor wheel paint was good stuff too.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I would re powder coat them. The powder coat itself is not too expensive. Its media blasting all the old stuff off, or acid dipping it that makes the price go up.

Save money by finding a local person, if you have to ship the rims it will add to the cost.

I would shy away from Plastic Dip, though it is an idea. I just have not heard too much about it, or how durable it really is.

Stay way from just spraying them with spray paint too like from Dupli-Color. Wont last long.

If you like the rims, just pay to get them re done right.

Jeff

THIS^^^
thumbsup2.gif

But you have to REALLY like the wheels, or if they are VERY rare/hard to find, as many new, decent wheels could be had for the cost of a GOOD clean-up/powdercoating.

I did this for my 16x8 ZR1 style SS wheels, since they are IMPOSSIBLE to find anymore, and i wanted them in a gunmetal/graphite color.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back