Toyota dealership confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2012 Toyota Venza with a V6 I think it's a 3.5 anyway when she bought it they insisted she change the oil every 10,000 miles and since they were doing the oil changes run only Toyota synthetic oil. Now at 35,000 miles the dealership has changed there minds and recommend oil change every 5,000 miles and we can use either Toyota oil they offer either Dino or Synthetic. So what should we do? Any advice?

What does the owners manual say ? Our 11 camrys manual says 1 year 10 k on 4 cylinders and 6 months 5k on 6 cylinders.
The Maint required light comes on at 5k regardless , I plan on doing 5 k OCIs on my wife's camry, it takes almost a year to accumulate that many miles anyway.

I would follow the owners manual recommendations. Some dealers are idiots when it comes to maint. If u want to use the dealer recommendation on 5k, dino should be fine. If it's not too much more money for syn oil, then do it if it'll make u feel better

Dealers are not idiots, some of them want owners come in more often so they can make some money.

If they have to perform free oil changes then 10k as in the owner manual, if they charge good money to do it then 3-5k is recommended.

During Toyota's 2 Year Free Maintenance period, they recommend a 10K OCI. After that, it's typical for them to suggest 5K. IF it was my newer vehicle, I would have been changing the oil in-between the dealer 10K services with a newer engine.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
During Toyota's 2 Year Free Maintenance period, they recommend a 10K OCI. After that, it's typical for them to suggest 5K. IF it was my newer vehicle, I would have been changing the oil in-between the dealer 10K services with a newer engine.

Even during the free 2yr/25k mile service by Toyota the car is still brought in every 5k miles for tire rotation, check fluids/top off and general inspection. I also had them spray battery protectant on the terminals and some other things here and there. Since not much would happen during this interval after the free period no reason to keep bringing it in. The dealer here charges $36 for 5k "in between" service. Which again is no oil change.

My dad almost took his Camry in at the 35k mark and I told him just to skip it. I checked the fluids. Done!

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Coincidence that the warranty ends at 36k and at the same point they want you to come in more often?

Exactly. They're not confused... they're hoping that their customers are clueless.

The dino oil would be just fine.

The car will never know the difference.

I'm running 5W-20 dino (Havoline) in my out of warranty Camrys and they are working well.

Remember that CAFE is the thing driving the OEM oil choice.

So pick the one that fits your budget.

I use a 5,000 OCI even if I'm using 0W-20 synthetic.

Why????

I'm SilverC6 and I like to change the oil in my cars........

FWIW, this is a Toyota issue, not a dealer issue. On 2012 vehicles, the oil fill cap is actually the deciding factor. If your oil cap reads 5W20, it is O.K. to use 5W20 dino oil. If you do, your OCI is 5,000 miles. If your cap reads 0W20, then it is spec'ed for synthetic /synthetic blend and your OCI is 10,000 miles. You can use 0W20 in the engines with the 5W20 cap and do 10,000 mile OCI's. Basically, if you use dino your OCI will be 5,000 miles. If you use synthetic or synthetic blend, your OCI will be 10,000 miles. Your oil change light will come on at 5,000 miles no matter which oil you use on a 2012 Venza. The oil change reminder is simply a 5000 mile interval after reset.

Maybe the dealer changes it stance on oil changes at 36K because of Toyota's past sludging problems, or so they can hit you up for the always valuable engine flush. Like others also said, 5K intervals also gives them more opportunities to up sell you some other gimmicks.

there is nothing special about the toyota 3.5L. its been around since 2006. use any 0w20, 5w20, or 5w30 (GASP!) and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I use a 5,000 OCI even if I'm using 0W-20 synthetic.

Why????

I'm SilverC6 and I like to change the oil in my cars........

Amen to that good brother! I also like to change oil. Something about dirty lube streaming out of my engine just makes me all warm inside. And then pouring the nice and clean new oil in... mmm... I just can't help but take a sniff sometimes.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Even during the free 2yr/25k mile service by Toyota

This is purely a well done marketing ploy to those that don't know better. A new car doesn't need anything other than regular oil changes under 25K miles. So in essence, people get all excited about the "free maintenance", when in actuality, all they are getting is 2 oil changes. Woopty doo. Call me skeptical, but 10K mile oil changes on a new car is a bit excessive. I bet there are tons of wear metals in those first few oil changes.

The dealership recommends 5K intervals because it makes them more money, period. They don't care about your car or its longevity, but they do care about their profit. With that being said, it is not a bad policy to change the oil every 5K.

If you want to do it yourself, ANY 0W20 or 5W20 syn or conventional will be fine. I would go with Pennzoil conventional 5W20 at 5K intervals if it was my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back