Verizon and Comcast door-to-door

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Really? What a hassle. Verizon first came around with the "scare tactic" that they were doing away with copper. When I called them up, I got a permanent $40 credit to change over and have been pretty happy. At least the Verizon people all wore uniforms.

Today I got a knock on the door and a guy asked me about buying xfinity. When I told him that I boycott cable TV, he looked at me like I had two heads. He drove up, knocked on my door, and then after I dismissed him, drove away. Hardly seems worth it.

Does anyone know what the deal is with door-to-door cable tv salespeople? Next one I see Im going to call the police. We have no soliciting rules in town and Ive never been bothered by anyone else. One time before I mentioned something along the lines of the town ordinance to the sales guy and was told that because it was a valid town infrastructure, they had permits. Still, I don't care to be hassled for their overpriced, useless garbage.

So whats the deal?

Are you sure it was someone that was legitimately from Comcast? Seems like a good way to be invited into someone's home to see what they have available to steal.

I did meet a prospective tenant that did that sort of thing so it seemed like a legitimate type job. I think some of his pay was on commission. I think if you have a no soliciting sign, he's not supposed to knock, but otherwise it's pretty fair game. They usually have discounts in the first year which is how they get people to sign up. Then if you want, you can play the game of switching from one to the other when the contract is up and the price goes up.

I get the idjuts form AT&T all the time trying to convert me to Uverse. Most are from second party ATT sales contractors.

Don't forget tech support has also incorporated a sales pitch too.

My parents had a recurring cable internet problem and they were trying to upsell my father on new features while on tech support, obviously the idea of paying for more stuff, when they couldn't get the stuff he was already paying for working is lost on them. I feel bad for the guys/gals who have that job. A lot of dimwitted ideas must trickle down from upper mgmt.

I once had a comcast contractor knock on my door at 9pm peddling their digital cable. AT the time I only had regular & extended channels.
I found it really odd that it was 9pm!
But, the guy had the credential badge, so I let him in.
He hooked it up and said he'd be back in 7 days if I changed my mind. My wife noticed a few channels she wanted to have badly, (i.e. animal planet) so i said if he hooked up the savings special for the contract I'd go for it. So he made a phone call and I paid $7.50 more each month which included a secondary mini box for the bedroom.

AT&T never gives up with the door to door. The junk mail from them is even worse,I get a offer in the mail about once a week!!

They are called Direct Sales reps. That is their entire job, to go door to door to sell their product. It's not uncommon at all. Quite a few of the people I work with at inbound came from DSR positions.

Comcast just came by here last night trying to up sell to X1 and alarm monitoring.

We already have xfinity cable and internet service.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Don't forget tech support has also incorporated a sales pitch too.

My parents had a recurring cable internet problem and they were trying to upsell my father on new features while on tech support, obviously the idea of paying for more stuff, when they couldn't get the stuff he was already paying for working is lost on them. I feel bad for the guys/gals who have that job. A lot of dimwitted ideas must trickle down from upper mgmt.

This is like having to listen to an identity monitoring spiel when activating a new credit card from one's home phone. "Hey we got this guy now!!!"

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Comcast just came by here last night trying to up sell to X1 and alarm monitoring.

We already have xfinity cable and internet service.

The X1 platform is a huge improvement over the standard box software. My friend has it, and I came away very impressed with the TV side of things.

Comcast might retain customers and gain more if they didn't nickle and dime you to death. I'll be slamming the door in their face if they show up at my door.

I wonder if one contacts comcast and requests that they stay away, if the request is respected.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I get the idjuts form AT&T all the time trying to convert me to Uverse. Most are from second party ATT sales contractors.

Don't do it! Uverse sucks! Never had so much downtime for repairs and so called "equipment upgrades" before Uverse. Total garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back