Help comparing Mobil XHP222 to Sinopec HP-XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are thinking of saving money on grease, I'll offer my unwelcome opinion:

I'll assume you picked XHP 222 because it is one of the best greases. period.

Now someone is offering you a grease that likely costs half as much and has a name that makes it sound like a cut rate muscle growth supplement, but looks better on paper.

The four ball test is not well regarded on BITOG.

As far as your question, without looking it up, I would guess that 1 Newton is the weight of 1 Kilogram when measured on Earth, in other words the same thing in this context. I may be wrong, but that is what I recall the Newton as being.

Good Point, being competitive on price and performance is a must in today's market.
As far a grease company, i have no doubt they are serious, they are one of the largest companies in the world trading on nyse, its worth a look.

Originally Posted By: Bobby1977
I currently use the blue color lithium complex nlgi2, and saw this topic on anther forum, got me thinking. Mobil uses kg, while Sinopec uses N their four ball test.

How do you do the comparison?

1kg is equal to 9.8 newton.

IMO: don't buy some strange brand. Products from such companies is most likely just some relabelled cheap junk sold as premium stuff. I think you should go for a well known high quality brand. Mobil is a good choice!

Hello,
Firstable ASTM2266 is subjective test. The scar is not constant and is measured by human.
Secondary most Gears oil and greases shows scar the same amount of scar. Deviation is witin the range of measurement error.
What is your application? What are requirement? Speed loads load types.
Environment – temperature, moisture dust?
PS: I like and I use XHP222, but in some cases I prefer 3 times more expensive SHC220

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: miro
Hello,
Firstable ASTM2266 is subjective test. The scar is not constant and is measured by human.
Secondary most Gears oil and greases shows scar the same amount of scar. Deviation is witin the range of measurement error.
What is your application? What are requirement? Speed loads load types.
Environment – temperature, moisture dust?
PS: I like and I use XHP222, but in some cases I prefer 3 times more expensive SHC220

well here's an application where you can help with your opinions...
bearing is 16-mm diameter needle roller bearing and speed of the bearing is 12500 RPM,
which grease would you recommend for this bearing ?

1. Base oil viscosity
As alredy mentioned ISO VG 220 is way to heavy even if the operationg temerature is 100C
Remember the grease is 90% oil. If the bearing was oil libricated do you gonna use the heavy ISO VG 220 Gear low speed oil?

T=40C you need ISO 22
T=65..80C you need something around ISO 100 grease

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/798/grease-selection

2. Consistency NLGI 2 grease is ok unless you have special temerature requirements.

3. Type of thinkener you can define on you environmental requirements. e.g. water resistance dust sealing etc...

Than you can buy any grease that meet the calculated values.

Oh I forget something. My advice is not to use moly grease for this application. Experts say that ,moly is to slippery. At high speed rolling aplications rollers may not roll anymore.

Last edited:
1. Base oil viscosity
As alredy mentioned ISO VG 220 is way to heavy even if the operationg temerature is 100C
Remember the grease is 90% oil. If the bearing was oil libricated do you gonna use the heavy ISO VG 220 Gear low speed oil?

T=40C you need ISO 22
T=65..80C you need something around ISO 100 grease

2. Consistency NLGI 2 grease is ok unless you have special temerature requirements.

3. Type of thinkener you can define on you environmental requirements. e.g. water resistance dust sealing etc...

Than you can buy any grease that meet the calculated values.

Oh I forget something. My advice is not to use moly grease for this application. Experts say that ,moly is to slippery. At high speed rolling aplications rollers may not roll anymore.

Thanks Miro for your much helpful detail suggestions...
There is NO water contamination issue, just some flying dust & fluff, otherwise a clean ambient environment.
Can you also suggest a method to calculate the AMOUNT of GREASE to use during greasing/regreasing and if NLGI 2 is absolute necessary or will a NLGI 0/1/other consistency also work out well ?
And do you feel i should use a tacky / adesive type of grease, or will it be hurting the overall results ?
Note that these FAST 12,500 rpm needle roller bearings have an outer diameter of 16.5 mm and inside diameter of 16.0 mm. The Shaft diameter is very near to 16.0 mm too...
I want to extend the regreasing intervals to 7-10 days at the least.

One last thing... is the viscosity of grease T=40C of 22 cSt the maximum allowed ?
Definitely let me know if this 22 cSt is a must requirement OR can it be like ~68 cSt or slightly higher ?

Hi Fracha,
I’m not lubrication expert nor I can good share my knowledge, add to this that I’m not English native speaker. For grease selection I use the following documents from well known industrial grease/bearing manufactures.
1. Kluber – fantastic article I use this document most of the time. Its worth reading and easy to understand.
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.klueber.com%2FecomaXL%2Fget_blob.php%3Fname%3DLubrication_of_rolling_bearings_tips_and_advice.pdf&ei=gjwgU8ndIITHtQbxu4H4Ag&usg=AFQjCNHBP0UV-HAEU3WL61GA9XUdqnAQLw&bvm=bv.62788935,d.Yms
2. SKF – Nice articles. As bearing wrld leader they describes entirely and deeply everthing about roller bearing. Including calculation the amount of grease.
http://www.skf.com/group/products/bearin...sity/index.html
3. Machinery lubrication – nice independent site. Most of grease article are write by lubrication training company Noria

regards,
Miro

Hi Fracha,
I’m not lubrication expert nor I can good share my knowledge, add to this that I’m not English native speaker. For grease selection I use the following documents from well known industrial grease/bearing manufactures.

Hello Miro,
Thank you for your reply and links to Kluber/SKF/etc.

take care.

regards,
fpracha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back