Adding lubrication to diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any one tell me which would work best in diesel fuel,,,, 2cycle oil or 15-40 motor oil,,,, Pre egr ISX engine.

Last edited:
If you are dead set on it , i guess 2 cycle since its designed to burn. But doesn't diesel oil have lubrication properties on its own due to its nature?

Last edited:
Don't think you should ad any oil unless you have a very shi*tty injection pump or injectors.
But I have heard that vegetable oil should be good for additional lube in diesel systems, eg. canola or sunflower. Maybe a castor based 2t oil will be really good too.

cheers!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
If you are dead set on it , i guess 2 cycle since its designed to burn. But doesn't diesel oil have lubrication properties on its own due to its nature?

Yes it has lube qualities but at a greatly reduced rate now days. Spilt diesel used to attract dust but NOT anymore!

Last edited:
I use TC-W3 oil in my Cummins. The diesel fuel should have additives that provide lubricant. But what is should and what it has are two different things.

But part of the need comes from those having a mechanical injector pump like a Bosch VP44. Its critical that it have proper lubrication. But I cannot say for other injector pumps.

1 oz / gallon.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Between those two, TC-W3 is far superior as a fuel additive (lubricant).

I take it that's the 2 cycle oil ?

According to the links in a recent thread, a 2% bio-diesel to regular diesel mix did the best in a wear test compared to all the main additives and regular diesel.

Originally Posted By: 2hellandback
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Between those two, TC-W3 is far superior as a fuel additive (lubricant).

I take it that's the 2 cycle oil ?

Yes, gallons from Walmart.

Originally Posted By: UrS4
Don't think you should ad any oil unless you have a very shi*tty injection pump or injectors.
But I have heard that vegetable oil should be good for additional lube in diesel systems, eg. canola or sunflower. Maybe a castor based 2t oil will be really good too.

cheers!

OK, but you are in Denmark, so do you really know the history of diesel fuel in the USA? You have injector pumps made before they went to ULSD. I think before that it was just low sulfur.

The Bosch VP44 is an excellent injector pump but is sensitive.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
According to the links in a recent thread, a 2% bio-diesel to regular diesel mix did the best in a wear test compared to all the main additives and regular diesel.

To bad its not easy to find at the pumps !

Originally Posted By: Donald
I use TC-W3 oil in my Cummins. The diesel fuel should have additives that provide lubricant. But what is should and what it has are two different things.

But part of the need comes from those having a mechanical injector pump like a Bosch VP44. Its critical that it have proper lubrication. But I cannot say for other injector pumps.

1 oz / gallon.

Im adding 8 0z per 75 gallon of fuel

point being any additional lubrication to ULSD fuel can only be a good thing.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Marvel Mystery Oil

I'm an mmo fan however there was data posted that mmo actually had a negative impact when used in a Diesel engine so even though I love the stuff a Diesel engine is one place where I wouldn't recommend it.
And tc-w3 is cheaper anyways,and made to burn.
No brainer to me.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: UrS4

cheers!

OK, but you are in Denmark, so do you really know the history of diesel fuel in the USA? You have injector pumps made before they went to ULSD. I think before that it was just low sulfur.

The Bosch VP44 is an excellent injector pump but is sensitive.

How many ppm of sulphur is the standard in the us? In europe we have maximum 10 ppm.

The EPA asked the engine manufacturers association what the wear spec should be, and then went with a worse number. You are almost guaranteed longer pump/injector life by using an extra lubricant.

It's one thing for a modern engine but something old definitely has to have some lube.

My local jobber that i buy fuel from told me a couple of years ago that the 'winterized' diesel is 10% or more kerosene.

Factor that in with ULSD and in older diesels you almost have to add lubrication.

I sent samples of Jet fuel out for HFRR lubricity testing and learned quite a bit about what actually works. (below by memory)

Jet A = 650 microns wear scar (larger number is worse)
Jet A with stanadyne lubricity additive = 450
Jet A with Stanadyne and 100/1 TCW-III = 220

It's generally considered that a wear scar of 460 or less is acceptable for diesel fuel.

Clearly, TCW-III at 100/1 works quite well.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
My local jobber that i buy fuel from told me a couple of years ago that the 'winterized' diesel is 10% or more kerosene.

Factor that in with ULSD and in older diesels you almost have to add lubrication.

Cold winter blends are often a mix of #1/#2 for cheaper blends, up to 50/50. Better fuels do it with additives and you can generally tell the difference in how the truck sounds with the different fuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back