"Quieter" Oil Than Mobil 1 For Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Hyundai engines are usually noisier than most i find... Great engines just noisy. when i was in Florida on vacation i listened to my sisters 2011 santa fe v6 it sounded like a diesel every morning when first started. That was when she had only 740 miles she now has over 60,000 miles and never had a problem to date..

That's how I describe the two I have, little ticked off diesels.

Last edited:
I think engines are just getting noisier being (mostly) aluminum/plastic in construction, with timing/balance chains on a good amount of them and thinner oils for better fuel economy. Plus the DI pump, injectors, and variable cam solenoids clicking away lol. They sure aren't what they used to be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RSmolik
I think engines are just getting noisier being (mostly) aluminum/plastic in construction, with timing/balance chains on a good amount of them and thinner oils for better fuel economy. Plus the DI pump, injectors, and variable cam solenoids clicking away lol. They sure aren't what they used to be.

It used to be that all you would hear is some air moving around. Air being sucked into the carburetor -- air being stirred up by the cooling fan that was direct drive all the time -- and a little bit or air moving from the accessory drive belts going around. Almost a silent engine. That was a Cadillac 7.0L V8 being lubricated by Exxon Superflo 20W-50.
56.gif

I have a sonata 2012 and from my experience so far with brand hopping here is my list of oils from the quietest to the noisiest.

1.qsud 5w20 (super quiet and smooth)
2.pennzoil ultra 5w20 (very happy with this and felt the engine rev more freely)
3.royal purple 5w20 (quietest for the first 1000 or so km then gets noisier)
4.tgmo 0w20
5.mobil 1 afe 0w20 (would never run it again).

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Castrol gtx add pack must be good. Since keeping motors so quiet

What is this term "add pack" that I read about a lot in these forums? Is it something added to the oil after you replace it or what's the deal?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
M1 10W40HM ran smooth and silent in my car. I may go back to it next oil change.

Prior to you using the M1 HM oil did you try just the normal M1? If so, is there a noticeable difference in the noise??

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 AFE and HM have been excellent in the Honda 2.4 I had and current 03 Subaru.

After 4 runs of Mobil 1, I don't get any noise at all on start-up with M1 HM 5w30.

So are you saying you DID get excessive noise from the regular M1 oil, but not that you switched to the HM all is nice and quiet??

Originally Posted By: rikstaker
I have a sonata 2012 and from my experience so far with brand hopping here is my list of oils from the quietest to the noisiest.

1.qsud 5w20 (super quiet and smooth)
2.pennzoil ultra 5w20 (very happy with this and felt the engine rev more freely)
3.royal purple 5w20 (quietest for the first 1000 or so km then gets noisier)
4.tgmo 0w20
5.mobil 1 afe 0w20 (would never run it again).

Thanks for this info. As much as I'd love to stay with Mobil 1, the noise, especially during cold starts is just too much and although I believe all the "science" behind it to say that noise isn't causing excessive start up wear because of the synthetic strength etc, there is still a BIG part of me that just can't accept that the first few seconds of what sometimes sounds like metal on metal during cold start ups just can't be good for the engine. It just can't! The weather is warming up here so the cold starts aren't nearly as bad as they were, but they are still not what I'd expect, and I never heard those noises with dino oil. So I thin the QSUD will be my next try. Several people here have recommended it and say it is very quiet and smooth, that's what I want, regardless if the Mobil 1 is not doing any damage.

I'm still trying to figure out if there are any actual 2004 (era) Sanata Fe owners who have switched from M1 due to the noise and found a much quieter oil. The two Sonota owners are the closest I've found so far and I think both have said QSUD is my best bet.

I'd also love to know if any Santa Fe owners who had initially used M1 found and noise difference AFTER switching to M1HM?? the M1HM isn't available in Canada, but I'm heading down to the USA next month for a couple of nights and if I can find some in a Wal-Mart I'll probably get a couple of jugs, or at least one...but would like to know if there is any actual experience from a Sanata Fe owner here that can tell me the M1HM will make a noise difference from the regular M1.

Thanks for all your posts! VERY, VERY helpful!

For the Canadian users here, I went into Cambodian Tire today and they advised me that the QSUD will be on sale week after next, just FYI... Not this week that starts tomorrow for them, but the following week.

Originally Posted By: Verminator
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
M1 10W40HM ran smooth and silent in my car. I may go back to it next oil change.

Prior to you using the M1 HM oil did you try just the normal M1? If so, is there a noticeable difference in the noise??

Man I`ve tried a ton of different oils in my Nissan (out of boredom I guess) and my engine is whisper quiet and smooth as silk no matter what I use in it (even with the plain jane M1 10W30 which I ran when I first bought my car),BUT my engine runs the best (smooth and responsive) on 10W40-20W50. FSM even advises to only use 10W30 for fuel economy reasons,so I stick with the 40-50s. M1 10W40HM and M1 15W50 have been two of my fave oils. M1 must use something in the add pack of those two because you never hear a single complaint about either. I do know the 15W50 has a ton of zinc,as well as the HM line (maybe that attributes to the "smoothness"). Nissan engines aren`t finnicky about the type of oils,only the weight.

Last edited:
Man I`ve tried a ton of different oils in my Nissan (out of boredom I guess) and my engine is whisper quiet and smooth as silk no matter what I use in it (even with the plain jane M1 10W30 which I ran when I first bought my car),BUT my engine runs the best (smooth and responsive) on 10W40-20W50. FSM even advises to only use 10W30 for fuel economy reasons,so I stick with the 40-50s. M1 10W40HM and M1 15W50 have been two of my fave oils. M1 must use something in the add pack of those two because you never hear a single complaint about either. I do know the 15W50 has a ton of zinc,as well as the HM line (maybe that attributes to the "smoothness"). Nissan engines aren`t finnicky about the type of oils,only the weight. [/quote]

Thanks...my wife has a 2005 Nissan Frontier 4.0: V6 and perhaps the regular M1 synthestic will "sound" better in her vehicle (5w30).....

Originally Posted By: Verminator
Now THIS IS INTERESTING!! So if I want to stick with Mobil 1 (and I kinda do) on my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, you think by using the High Mileage version of the same 5W30 that I will notice a vast improvement in noise?

Is there anyone else out there that would agree with this?? I mean after reading today's posts I'm just thrilled to find people who know what I'm talking about with the excessive noise I'm currently experiencing. From this I'm almost sold on the Quacker State Ultimate Durability, even though I would never touch a Quaker State oil filter. But if I can remain with Mobil 1, I'd be happy and if it's just a matter of switching to the High Mileage one, I'd be thrilled!

I have a 2005 Santa Fe with 2.7 liter engine. At 75k miles I switched over to "Quaker State High Mileage". It now has 221k miles and not a single valve taps. I use Purolator PureOne oil filters. The engine still runs and sounds like new. Note: I don't "beat it" and most of my miles are highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back