Allowed to pump my own gas in Oregon today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have driven in a laundry list of states. Today I stopped for gas in Eugene Oregon. I went in and used the restroom first then went back out to fill up. I was told by someone online to expect the law in OR about how you can't pump your own gas but I long forgot.

I had my wallet out about to stick in my card and the kid (about 17-19?) walks up and the conversation went something like this:

Him: Hi, will this be cash or card?
Me: Card.
Him: okay! We can do that right here
Me: Uh, yeah... I know how to pump gas
Him: *pauses* Well, yeah, but this is Oregon, I gotta do it
Me: Oh, well I never got gas here before. I must warn you, if you pump it too fast, it will spew out.
Him: Oh .... well I'll have you do it then.

...and I proceeded to slowly and manually (not set on auto) pump 23 gallons or so of gas. He came back over and looked a few times and since I didn't have the nozzle stuck up my nose like an idiot, he walked back away. When I was finished, hanging up the nozzle and waiting on the receipt to print, he asked where I was going (he finally noticed my out of state plate and realizd it was an RV) and I told him and he said "oh, nice" and wished me a nice day.

Whats the reason for this? Ive never seen anyone not be able to pump gas in my parts....

Originally Posted By: Donald
But how about in NJ? They pump it for you there also.

Yeah. They pump it for you and it is cheaper. NY gas prices are [censored].

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Whats the reason for this? Ive never seen anyone not be able to pump gas in my parts....

Uhh.. did you read the original post at all? Or just the subject?

Definitely a funky thing; sounds like OR is either easy going or the gas station guy didn't care. NJ is more like Nazis about it, I asked once and there are very hefty fines.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Definitely a funky thing; sounds like OR is either easy going or the gas station guy didn't care. NJ is more like Nazis about it, I asked once and there are very hefty fines.

Supposedly Oregon has fines too but.. umm.. its not like i held a knife to him. I have read that motorcyle owners are allowed to pump their own gas but the nozzle is handed to them. I was allowed to fully operate the machine. Go figure.

Only fuel that got the ground from me pumping it was the few drops when you remove the nozzle from the filler. I HAVE overflowed it a few times (earlier today in CA) if i try to pump it too fast even when i think its going slow enough. He wold have had gas all over the gas pump machine had he done it.

Originally Posted By: Cubey

Uhh.. did you read the original post at all? Or just the subject?

it said oregon doesnt normally let you pump gas yourself. But in this case they did. My question was why is there a law saying you cant be self sufficient and pump your own gas there all the time. A law stating you cant pump your own fuel sounds incredibly inefficient.

A law stating you cant pump your own fuel sounds incredibly inefficient.

It is efficient for the unions and the politicians that serve them. Atleast that is the case in NJ.

It's an Oregon law that's been in place at least since the 1970's. If you ask an old timer in Oregon, they'll tell you it was all about keeping the gas station attendant jobs, and it really doesn't seem to serve any other purpose.

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
It's an Oregon law that's been in place at least since the 1970's. If you ask an old timer in Oregon, they'll tell you it was all about keeping the gas station attendant jobs, and it really doesn't seem to serve any other purpose.

thats all nice and all but do they realize the market has shifted and new jobs are coming eventually and those jobs serve no functional purpose.
here in mo on the news a month or so ago they had this thing where it was an electronic robot that will automatically pump gas for you. Amazing at the huge difference from state to state

Last edited:
What causes the spewage? I have a bayliner IO boat that does that. If you listen closely as the tank fills, you'll hear a gurgle. If you slow down In time you can keep from spilling.

Last edited:
I dont understand the point?

Credit card fraud or something? I doubt the oil companies give a [censored] to give you "courtesy"

Originally Posted By: Cadenza

The only benefit I can see is IF the attendant offered to actually check under the hood for low oil, other fluids like truly full service used to offer. Otherwise, it is just continuing a low paying job via dictate.

One of my first jobs was a full service tech for a long gone major oil company. We had a required set of checks to offer the driver: Clean the windshield, head lights, offer to check and fill tire pressures, and check under the hood.

All of this service was offered for around 30 cents more per gallon over the self serve prices. I worked my butt off working this job.

Typically I would find engines over a quart low on oil, coolant, or really low tire pressures. This was in the early '80s before self service took over. I remember one girl who I could literally hear the lifters coming in from the street. Her four cylinder was three quarts low on oil! I still to this day do not know how her engine did not lock up before I added the oil.

I can only imagine how poorly maintained the average car today is versus when full service was more the norm for the average driver.

Last edited:
My first job ($0.50 per hour) was at a Texaco station and we too were required to check everything under the hood....to not do so brought on the wrath of Lou, the owner. Of course, this was back in the day when self-service wasn't even an option. Gas was also well under $0.40 per gallon.

Just recently I asked a manager at a gas station/garage (not a station attached to a convenience store) why they didn't check under the hood anymore and he said it was fear of someone hurting themselves on a hot engine. He said, when asked, if someone wanted an under-the-hood check, they were instructed to pull in front of one of the bay doors and one of the mechanics or himself would check the oil, etc. He said his insurance company advised against someone "not formally trained" to check oil and such. He further said, based on the folks that showed up asking about an attendant job, he had to agree and side with the insurance company....he also said he wondered who some of them got to tie their shoes since he wasn't real sure they could have done it themselves.

It was really interesting talking with this guy and he said some of the kids who applied for his attendant job were so poorly dressed he would have been surprised if they were allowed to attend school dressed like they were. He did say one very old guy showed up for this job (barely over minimum wage) dressed in a suit and used the real buzz words (yessir, thank you, etc)......the old man got the job!

I should add that I would have been a little concerned if the "mechanic" checked my oil outside the bay door since there was a pretty good slope in front of the doors....I can imagine most engines could not provide a good dipstick reading on the slope. It wasn't worth asking about though since he seemed pretty proud of his place and it wasn't my place to question his business practices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
I dont understand the point?

Credit card fraud or something? I doubt the oil companies give a [censored] to give you "courtesy"

It's for the children, if it saves just one life, it's a liability issue,,etc.

YMMV
Smoky

Originally Posted By: salv
Originally Posted By: Donald
But how about in NJ? They pump it for you there also.

Yeah. They pump it for you and it is cheaper. NY gas prices are [censored].

Amen. One of the few things I love about NJ. Cheaper gas than PA, and they pump it for you! Freezing cold, searing heat, rain and wind? You get to stay in your nice warm or cool car while someone else pumps the gas.

Now I know why every time it comes up for a vote in NJ it's voted down. I would too!

Yep, it's not about safety, it's about creating jobs. Though many of the people with that job don't deserve to have one. You broke the law. Quite often when I get gas cans filled the attendant asks me to do it since they have to stand there the whole time. Still not legal. Gas is generally cheaper here than over the border in Washington where you pump it yourself.

I just bought a diesel truck and you are allowed to pump your own diesel. Some gas stations are still full service, they pump your diesel, and don't let you. Some will not touch it even if you ask. Others don't care. I'm getting tired of playing this game. I'm installing a 500 gallon diesel tank behind my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back