Another 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek owner..

Status
Not open for further replies.
An unrelated note, but when signing my life away at the dealership today, one form I had to sign for them to take over my 2012 Legacy's lease stated something like $16040 for the dealer to buy it out.

I find it hard to believe that's their actual cost, given dealer retail for this vehicle is barely $17K.

What are your thoughts of the 2.0? I have been looking at the XV the last two months but haven't gone to test drive as I would like to wait until the used XV's start coming in.

My only concern is the added weight of the XV over the impreza with that 2.0L. Does it have any "zip"?

wn, It moves along nicely and pulls strong IMO, but I haven't had more than two in the car at this point. I've just got to get used to owning a 5spd again. I thought it was longer ago, but my last 5spd was on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler I owned from 1997-1999.

It's very similar to my 2012 Legacy 2.5i Premium interior wise, just fewer goodies like less interior lighting, no puddle lights under the doors, etc.

It does have cool stuff like heated seats, blue tooth and fog lights though. Never had heated seats before.

With all the snow we've had lately I've started to look at Subies. Is the base Forester much better than the base Impreza?
Is the 2.5 in the Forester the same engine as the one that went thru headgaskets a few years ago? How is the new 2.0 in the Impreza? How has the CVT been holding up..? Is the same CVT used in both vehicles?
Sorry for all the questions but Subies were off my radar.
Edmund's has a few bad owner reviews on the new Impreza but there are also a few great ones.
What are the general concensus of these 2 Subies...?

The Crosstrek is a fine little car but you will find the Forester to be a more substantial vehicle, quieter, etc. It has gotten great reviews.

^ what he said.

The current 2.5's are solid with no HG issues. CVT is top notch, for a CVT. You can get a 6spd MT in the Forester, but I encourage you to test drive one first. Long time manual users are opting for the CVT in the Forester.

I actually like the look of the XV more than the Forester.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Is the 2.5 in the Forester the same engine as the one that went thru headgaskets a few years ago? How is the new 2.0 in the Impreza?

buster hit this but just to be clear, the new 2.5 is NOT the same engine at all as the old one (it's not just that they've fixed the head gasket issues). The new engine is completely redesigned to support direct injection (although not all are direct injection, I don't think the Forester is), has a timing chain, different external dimensions, etc.

I've only driven about 420mi in the new Crosstrek so far. I clocked ~28mpg (my calculation) on the first tank of fuel, but this was a dealer supplied "full tank" with lots of engine idling.

Not too shabby though. I was scared because at 70mph, it tachs out at ~3200rpm with the 5spd.

It does ride much more stiff and bouncy than my 2012 Legacy did, but I don't find it uncomfortable at all. Driving position is great. Love the ride height and ease of entry/exit.

Still a toss-up to me which transmission I like better. I LOVED my 2012 Legacy's CVT and I love my new 5spd.

For what you get for the dollar, I can't say the Crosstrek is your best bang for the buck. Like said, the Forester would be more utilitarian. The Legacy is a great sedan and I've always loved the Outback, but just could never justify how much more money they want for them over the Legacy.

Quote:
Still a toss-up to me which transmission I like better. I LOVED my 2012 Legacy's CVT and I love my new 5spd.

For what you get for the dollar, I can't say the Crosstrek is your best bang for the buck. Like said, the Forester would be more utilitarian. The Legacy is a great sedan and I've always loved the Outback, but just could never justify how much more money they want for them over the Legacy.

I feel the same. I've narrowed it down to CVT/AT for SUV/CUV/Trucks, MT's for cars. I could go either way with the XV. Probably lean towards CVT.

The Forester is a better overall value IMO. IF the XV had 170hp, with the same price, I would say it's a toss up.

JTK, if I can ask, what are your height and weight? My wife and I love Subarus, but when we checked them out in the past they were a bit small inside. How is the XV compared to the Legacy?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
JTK, if I can ask, what are your height and weight? My wife and I love Subarus, but when we checked them out in the past they were a bit small inside. How is the XV compared to the Legacy?

You may want to look at the Legacy or Outback, if you are concerned with interior space.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

You may want to look at the Legacy or Outback, if you are concerned with interior space.

Well of course...but seeing as we are a 4 hour plus drive from the nearest Subaru dealer, I am asking for some feedback from a new owner who just switched.

I'm 6ft, 220lbs. Having just owned a 2012 Legacy, the XV is very similar front seat-wise and is very comfortable for me, with decent legroom. If you need rear seat room and lots of storage, I wouldn't say the Crosstrek is for you. 3 kids in the back of my Crosstrek works, but it's tight and there's lots of front seatback and center console kicking/shoving with them back there. The legacy was much roomier in the back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

I'm 6ft, 220lbs. Having just owned a 2012 Legacy, the XV is very similar front seat-wise and is very comfortable for me, with decent legroom. If you need rear seat room and lots of storage, I wouldn't say the Crosstrek is for you. 3 kids in the back of my Crosstrek works, but it's tight and there's lots of front seatback and center console kicking/shoving with them back there. The legacy was much roomier in the back.

Thanks....

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Check www.cars101.com for all the specs about interior space and whatnot.

That's good information right there, but I've found that manufacturer's measurements are not consistent between brands...one make's 39" head room is another brand's 41", and usually don't take sunroof into consideration.

That's good information right there, but I've found that manufacturer's measurements are not consistent between brands...one make's 39" head room is another brand's 41", and usually don't take sunroof into consideration.

I haven't compared interior dimension specs side by side between the 2012 Legacy I had and my new 2014 Crosstrek, but I know on my Legacy, if I adjusted the driver's seat height up to a height that was marginally comfortable for me, my head just about brushed the headliner. I'd have to just about curl into a ball when falling into the drivers seat to not bang my head on the roof line with the seat like this as well (getting into the car). The front pass seat on the Leggy was silly low too, and not adjustable height wise.

Flip side of this is the Crosstrek seems to have a bit more room from floor to roof. I can comfortably adjust the seat height up and not whack my brain bucket. Obviously there's a bit less width and length between the XV-C and the Leggy.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I haven't compared interior dimension specs side by side between the 2012 Legacy I had and my new 2014 Crosstrek, but I know on my Legacy, if I adjusted the driver's seat height up to a height that was marginally comfortable for me, my head just about brushed the headliner. I'd have to just about curl into a ball when falling into the drivers seat to not bang my head on the roof line with the seat like this as well (getting into the car). The front pass seat on the Leggy was silly low too, and not adjustable height wise.

Flip side of this is the Crosstrek seems to have a bit more room from floor to roof. I can comfortably adjust the seat height up and not whack my brain bucket. Obviously there's a bit less width and length between the XV-C and the Leggy.

That's odd. I'm only 5'11" but I don't have any issues with my Legacy being too low at all. I have probably a fist between my head and the roof when I'm driving. I'm interested in how you had the seat positioned. Did you have the seat up as high as it would go?

I have my seat adjusted basically where my wrists can sit flat on the top of the wheel and with my butt pushed into the back of the seat and my foot on the dead pedal my leg still has a slight bend.

No, I couldn't raise the driver's seat up but a few clicks on the 2012 Legacy. All the way was a no-go due to what I described above. The Legy did offer a lot of legroom. The seats could go way back. Try that in the Crosstrek and there's NO room for the rear seat occupants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back