Run Away Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: Miller88
It didn't want to give up!

Held his composure a bit more than the people in this video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M1o2rpO_JY

Love how the older guy just nonchalantly took care of it while the kids scattered like roaches.

The power of "been there done that." :)

Ive had that happen before. Only way to shut them down is smother them. The old Detroit two strokes actually had a pull out shut-off cable in the cab, that controlled a butterfly in the air box to block it off. I ve had it happen several times on two stroke gas engines too. If the crank seal is leaking, they will take off full tilt and you cant shut them down either. You have to smother them.

My uncle once stopped a runaway 6-71 by blasting a huge CO2 extinguisher down the intake while another dude stopped the fuel flow. No damage to the engine...but he had to take the tach apart, because the pointed had spun past the end of the scale (4000) and gotten stuck.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Ive had that happen before. Only way to shut them down is smother them. The old Detroit two strokes actually had a pull out shut-off cable in the cab, that controlled a butterfly in the air box to block it off. I ve had it happen several times on two stroke gas engines too. If the crank seal is leaking, they will take off full tilt and you cant shut them down either. You have to smother them.

Oil exploration machinery have this as well, however, it activates automatically. This is needed because natural gas might leak out the oil well, and then cause a runaway engine.

I've heard of them running away while drinking their own oil.

Guy I sort know is a long time VW fan. He had at least one of the original Rabbits. Towards the end it started to have a problem with blowby; one time it went into runaway. I forget how he got it to stop, probably parked the car and popped the clutch in 5th. Then cleaned out the diesel version of a PCV valve.

But another time he was running late to the airport when it decided to go into runaway. At first it bothered him--then he realized it was running faster than normal so he simply let it go full out so he could make his plane.

Originally Posted By: supton
I've heard of them running away while drinking their own oil.

Guy I sort know is a long time VW fan. He had at least one of the original Rabbits. Towards the end it started to have a problem with blowby; one time it went into runaway. I forget how he got it to stop, probably parked the car and popped the clutch in 5th. Then cleaned out the diesel version of a PCV valve.

But another time he was running late to the airport when it decided to go into runaway. At first it bothered him--then he realized it was running faster than normal so he simply let it go full out so he could make his plane.

In the case of the old detroit 2 strokes, this could definitely happen. If it wasn't shut down before it drank all of its oil and lost oil pressure, it's not unheard of for one to lock up violently enough to shear the flywheel bolts and launch the flywheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back