Engine Noise From Synthetic Oil - Does It Do Damag

Status
Not open for further replies.
My work truck is a Jeep 4.0 liter I6 that has a pretty serious lifter tick.

It gets Federated Auto Parts (Warren) 5W-30 and a Hastings filter every 3000 miles.

It always seems to get noisier when a change is due.

Heh...heh... reminds me of that Visa commercial, only the punch-line is, "watching a M1 debate on BITOG? Priceless!!!:

Sheesh, turns out all these years of playing with synthetic oils is actually killing my motor? Who knew??? Wait, that's why I went back to PYB conventional on my Honda, it was quieter! And lets be honest, don't we all like quiet engines better than clattery ones? Good thing I dumped that fill of Penzoil Ultra early... all the bad stuff it was probably doing in there... Hope my bearings weren't destroyed.

Course, after reading BITOG, I always look suspiciously at that M1 I have in my stash. Noisy and dissolves the engines (high Iron), right? I pawned off the jug of TDT on my son. The 5/40 weight masks the damage he is likely doing to the engine
sick.gif
The problem is I still have some 10/30 and EP to get rid of... hummm... maybe his girl-friend? Wonder if I'd be liable for the damage...

Honestly though, I love to read through these threads, lots of good information combined with some funny opinions. Please take my post with humerus intent. I love M1 0w40 in my wife's Audi. And I do run my Honda on conventional for noise reasons. But my opinion is synthetic protects better.

This was one of the reasons I quit using Mobil 1 back in the early 2000's. It made the 5.7L in my 98 chevy truck and the 3800 in my ex-wife's 98 Grand Prix GT noisy. I started using Mobil 1 in both of these vehicles when they only had a couple of thousand miles on them. We bought both of these vehicles new.

I mainly used 5W-30 in the truck but also tried the 10W-30 with no difference. I always used 10W-30 in the car.

After a few years of using this oil, I got tired of the noise and the less then stellar oil analysis reports and switched both vehicles back to a conventional oil. The engines in both vehicles were quiet and the oil analysis results on both improved. Oil consumption went down on both as well.

At this point, I had been using Mobil 1 for about 10 years and was quite the fan of this oil. I had also Previously used it in my new 93 S-10 4x4 with the 4.3L and had noise issues and oil consumption issues with it but still kept using it after I got the 98.

She sold the Grand Prix after we got divorced with over 200,000 miles on it still running good on conventional oil and I still have the chevy truck with 126,000 miles on it and still using a conventional oil.

I'm not saying that Mobil 1 wasn't protecting the engines or keeping them clean but I just didn't like the noise and since I'm pretty picky about my vehicles and how they run, my piece of mind was worth it to switch to something else. I'm not willing to give Mobil another chance because I still hear people complain about increased noise when using it and I don't want to risk it.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back