Choose my oil for me! 1997 Dodge Ram 5.2L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: RobertHMcDonald
Thanks for the input. Might just go with PYB every 5000 miles and a Wix filter (I use Wix in my other vehicles).

Sounds good to me. If it was my truck I'd run PYB 5w30 and a Wix filter every 5k miles.
thumbsup2.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
the oil pickup screen is very fine and has been known to clog with sludge. google it for more info.

This exact thing happened to my good friend's 2001 5.2 Ram. Fortunately, he caught it very early - he started losing oil pressure, knew something wasn't right, and dropped the pan. Pickup screen was so caked full of sludge I don't know how the pump was able to suck oil through it.

For fear of rebuke, I won't mention the motor oil he typically used... that may or may not have played a part anyway. But suffice it to say, I would be careful.

Some oils are known for their cleaning ability. I'd use one of those.

Originally Posted By: RobertHMcDonald
Thanks for the quick answer. I have looked at Amsoil. If I do synthetic how long of an interval can I go? To be honest, I might only put 4800 miles on the truck in a year at the rate I am going.

Amsoil says 1 year. But several members have gone 2-3 years without issue on several brands.

Maybe go 1 year and 5k, then sample for a UOA, leaving it in and go from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back