Best recommended engine oil for 2014 Subaru 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would leave the initial fill in until the OLM or the manual says it should be changed, then go with whatever product meeting the Subaru spec is the cheapest. That's why Subaru wrote the spec and the change interval. Who are we to second guess?

the dealer told me 3K miles to change-

It seems through research this is pretty steady throughout Subaru owners for this year and engine.

I am curious what to use afterwards... and if there are an UOA's for 0w20 with the 2.5

Originally Posted By: JMG

It seems through research this is pretty steady throughout Subaru owners for this year and engine.

I am curious what to use afterwards... and if there are an UOA's for 0w20 with the 2.5

Why would the dealer tell you to follow the manual, especially if it means potentially more money for them? Sure, it may be more "steady," whatever that means, but why? What problems have resulted from following the manufacturer's recommendation? What will a UOA tell you?

Originally Posted By: nuffsaid
Thanks for all the replies. It is hard to beat walmarts pricing on oil. I buy from a wholesaler and many items I can get much cheaper than walmart, but not the oil. Anyone have an opinion on Royal Purple 0w-20? Good news on the new car is that it turned in 33 mpg cruising I 90 across Montana today. I also noticed that the dealer was a bit skimpy on the fill of antifreeze. It was only up to the low mark on the overflow bottle when it should have been up to the yellow full mark. At least the oil was full.
I don't think this little vehicle will ever be in the severe duty category, I have a couple Chevy duramaxes to handle those duties.
Back to the fluids, why are the oil changes in the differentials on these subarus so frequent? Is it due to having such a small sump? Can synthetic gear oil be used in the diffs?

I like royal purple however if you can get Toyota or Mazda 0w-20 they would be my first choices,unless you can get ultra.

Originally Posted By: JMG

All of the 0w-20 oils mentioned above are high quality synthetics. You won't exhaust any of them at 7500 mi/1 yr OCI required by Subaru in their normally aspirated engines. No UOA is necessary unless you suspect something is wrong - maybe do one just before your 5yr/60k warranty is up.

Your dealer is living in 1962. 3K OCI just crazy with today's lubricants, with the exception of the first change (if only for peace of mind).

Last edited:
Don't forget NAPA 0W-20 as well. It goes on sale for ~$3.79 a quart a couple of times a year, and the PDS floating around BITOG shows it to be identical to Valvoline Synpower. It's nice to have to quart bottles for top-off too.

Just me, but I ran my factory fill for 2500 miles before I dumped it.

I stocked up on the "160" Tokyo Roki filters while they were still available. I believe only the blue filter is available now, which makes a lot of the natives around here restless (and angry).

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: Rand
The first fb25(2011) was 3000 then 7500 then every 7500.

but they changed it to just every 7500/7.5monthes

or every 3750/3.75month for severe service

I'd run whatever full syn 0w20 you can get reasonable.

m1 afe, pp, etc

This is false!

My owner's manual for the 2014 Forester is 3k, then 7.5k, then every 7.5k after that.

Rand is correct.

1st oil change
4 cylinder Outback, Legacy, Impreza, and WRX, STI by 7.5 months or 7,500 miles.
4 cylinder 2.5Forester by 7.5 months or 7500 miles. See image below, it was 3 months or 3,000 miles innthe first version of the maintenance schedule
6 cylinder Outback, Legacy, Tribeca by 3 months or 3,000 miles.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2014.html

You can always email SoA as well. Are you signed up with my subaru.com? That may be different. Don't be in a rush to change the factory fill to an oil with a weaker additive pack, IMO. Especially with all of the FB oil burners out there.

-Dennis

That is from a 3rd party website. I am looking at the actual 2014 USA manual as we speak.....

Again, first OCI at 3k. 7.5k is false.

SoA can't make up their mind. Does the manual state that 5W-40 conventional is allowed for replenishment?

-Dennis

My manual specs 7500 miles for initial oil change and 7500 miles after. I just called my oil filter hot line and valvoline filters now has a new filter for the new Subarus, part # V0113 my cost should only be a couple of bucks each.
Looking at my wholesale flyer, I can buy CITGO Superguard 0W-20 full syn for 28.88 for a case of 6. Is this a good oil? It does meet all the specs that Subaru lists.

There are a lot of name brand syn oils that can be had for the same amount of money. You can also buy a case of OEM oil filters pretty cheap.

Congrats on the new ride ! Subaru has a loyal fanbase. Follow the owners manual ... no need for an early OCI. OEM filter is a must. Can't hardly beat QSUD for great oil at a great price.

I'm using the Subaru oil & filter.

First change was at 3,750 miles and the rest will be at 7,500 mile intervals. A 7,500 mile interval is all that is necessary to maintain the warranty, even though my dealer keeps suggesting I may want to use 3,750 mile intervals...

Congrats on the new car, nuffsaid! You can change out the oil at the first drain interval based on your driving environment; normal or severe use. We recommend using our Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 oil for optimal performance, superior engine cleanliness and unsurpassed wear protection. – The Pennzoil Team

My manual specs 7500 miles for initial oil change and 7500 miles after.

Yes Sir....mine as well. 2014 Scooby Outback 2.5.

I am thinking of dumping the FF at 1,000 or maybe 2,000 and pouring in M1 0w20. I think I am going to split the difference between severe service and normal....changing at 5k miles.

I am also thinking I will run with Toyota 0w20. It seems to be the cream of the crop for easy accessible oil. My local Toyota dealer will sell me a case for $5.50 a quart.

The owner's manual states you have to change the oil at 3k then 7.5k then every 7.5k after that for warranty purposes. Don't do anything different than that.

Can't speak for the Forester, but that is incorrect for the Outback. Just 7,500 mile OCI from the get go on the '13-'14 2.5 Outback.

Originally Posted By: NO2
You are stuck with Subaru filters. They work well and are very easy to change (on top of the 2.5 engine) No available aftermarket filter has the correct bypass pressure. Make sure to change the washer too!

Actually, there are a few after market oil filters that meet the Subaru bypass pressure. IMHO any of them are a better quality filter than the blue Subaru 15A. The NAPA Gold FIL 7055 is one. A little more pricey than the Subaru filter at regular price. But NAPA puts their oil filters on sale for 1/2 price quite often. (I know the local NAPA is putting the Gold filters on sale the first week of March. Maybe this is a national sale?) When on sale, the Gold is actually cheaper than the Subaru filter. And it is definitely a better filter. If a NAPA isn't convenient, the same filter can be bought as a Wix 57055. The other one is the Purolator L14615. It's listed on the Purolator website as having the correct bypass filter. But I haven't been able to find it at a retailer yet. But I haven't looked for a few months either. (I wouldn't buy a Purolator filter right now anyway, after all the accounts of them failing.)

Hope this helps. And hope you really enjoy your Outback.

Still haven't got enough miles for the first oil change. Sitting at about 5500 right now. Has used very little and oil is still pretty clean. I will be running valvoline 0w-20 when I change it.

My manual specs 7500 miles for initial oil change and 7500 miles after. I just called my oil filter hot line and valvoline filters now has a new filter for the new Subarus, part # V0113 my cost should only be a couple of bucks each.
Looking at my wholesale flyer, I can buy CITGO Superguard 0W-20 full syn for 28.88 for a case of 6. Is this a good oil? It does meet all the specs that Subaru lists.

I went to the Penzoil website to learn more about this Valvoline filter. I couldn't find anywhere that the real specifications were listed. One document had more to do with packaging specs than anything else, but nothing to tell us what the pressure for the bypass valve is.

Did you find anything on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back