Going to look at an Acer netbook..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to look at a used Acer netbook tomorrow morning. It's got Windows 7 and MS office. Anything in particular I should keep my eyes open for? I want to verify that win 7 and MS office are legitimate copies, what is the best way to do this? I talked to the guy for about 13 minutes on the phone and I have a really good feeling about it all, but still want to make sure. Thanks guys!

I have had an Acer netbook since 2009. it's been great! I use it pretty much constantly.

Only failure to date is the keyboard. I bought a 9 cell battery on ebay and get great battery life! With the 6 cell battery and mechanical hard drive I was getting 5 or 6 hours of battery life. with 9 cell and SSD I am a hair over 10

I've had a Windows 7 Acer netbook for 3 or 4 years. It's Starter Edition, but a legit Win7 license that came preinstalled. It's just about perfect for travel and for basic work if I have to be somewhere and know I'll have a long wait.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Going to look at a used Acer netbook tomorrow morning. It's got Windows 7 and MS office. Anything in particular I should keep my eyes open for? I want to verify that win 7 and MS office are legitimate copies, what is the best way to do this? I talked to the guy for about 13 minutes on the phone and I have a really good feeling about it all, but still want to make sure. Thanks guys!

you can get a new non-netbook laptop for around 229$
so I hope its dirt cheap.
asus 15.6" win8,4gb ram etc.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/428277/D550MA-DS01_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Black
thats the new celeron n2815--extremely power efficient.

slightly older asus 14" with celron 1000m
229$ about twice as fast as the first one but worse battery life.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/426830/X401A-BCL0705Y_14_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Last edited:
I would not buy an asus for anything not for half price.I have sent mine back 6 times often gone for 30 days.I just received it back today and they gave me a replacement that looks like they dug it out of a dumpster.Thats only 1/4 of what I have went through with them.Its an i3 6gb and been junk from day one.

Press the windows key and the pause/break keys at the same time, this will bring up the system information window, at the bottom of the window it will show that "windows is activated" or not. If not, you would have a problem, an invalid copy of windows could have been installed and not yet activated which would leave you in a bind.

As for MS office, open word and click on the help, it will show activated or not, same scenario as above.

Good luck, sounds like a deal otherwise.

Dell sells new laptops with W7 installed. I've personally had good luck with Dell.

What are the specs of the netbook you're looking to purchase and price? I have a 11.6" HP DM1 "netbook" with an AMD E-350 APU and it's perfect for light use and web-surfing. It can stream some HD, but struggles with anything heavy. It's also just about useless for gaming. My need was portability and the ability to be connected while on travel, so for me the weak gaming wasn't an issue and the ability to stream some HD actually exceeded my expectations.

I mention all of this because netbooks and ultra-portables are much better than even a few years ago, and can't even be compared to the original Atom-powered netbooks, so be careful with what you buy. I know only a few people who purchased the original netbooks and their opinion ranged from barely satisfied to dissatisfied entirely.

good luck with a craigslist computer under 100$

Probably stolen.

I've had good luck with asus

microcenter also has a dell 15.6 for 229$

they have refurbished lenovo t400 <200$ also

Well now that totals two cars, two pickup tool boxes, and a computer purchased off of Craigs List in the last year. Every one a great deal. Score +5 for ClutchDisc's ability to root out good deals on Craigslist.

There it is. I'm using it right now, I like how portable it is.

IMG_20140227_195658_zps79e0fd01.jpg

IMG_20140227_195644_zps1012bde4.jpg

IMG_20140227_195521_zpsc85c8169.jpg

Windows 7 Home Premium
2gb RAM
120gb Hard drive
1.60 GHz processor

It's a little slower than my laptop, but not bad.

Originally Posted By: dave180
Press the windows key and the pause/break keys at the same time, this will bring up the system information window, at the bottom of the window it will show that "windows is activated" or not.

Good luck, sounds like a deal otherwise.

No such Pause/Break key on my Dell Windows 8 keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back