2001 Impala trans just puked

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife's Impala with about 131k suddenly doesn't want to move. It seems to be fine at first when it's cool but after you drive it a little it will not go backwards or forwards. It just revs like it's in neutral. Fluid is more brown than red, has some bubbles and looks like it may be a overfilled. I didn't measure but I'd guess about 3/4 of an inch high on the dipstick. It definitely doesn't smell like new trans fluid but I'm not sure that it smells burnt like I hear people talk about. So is there hope that this is not a huge deal or is it a really good chance the whole transmission is toast?

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
The wife's Impala with about 131k suddenly doesn't want to move. It seems to be fine at first when it's cool but after you drive it a little it will not go backwards or forwards. It just revs like it's in neutral. Fluid is more brown than red, has some bubbles and looks like it may be a overfilled. I didn't measure but I'd guess about 3/4 of an inch high on the dipstick. It definitely doesn't smell like new trans fluid but I'm not sure that it smells burnt like I hear people talk about. So is there hope that this is not a huge deal or is it a really good chance the whole transmission is toast?

It sounds like its toast. Not a huge deal you can get a nice rebuild and either install it yourself or let someone else do it.

I don't recommended having it rebuilt by a local shop unless they are willing to put upgraded parts in it which is rare, most buy complete stock kits that do not include the hardened 4th gear input.
Ask a local shop if they will install it for you if you buy a custom built unit, i have one nearby that charges $500 out and in on GM W body, you supply the unit and fluid.
Good deal.

Get one from triple edge performance with converter, they are the best in the business when it comes to these and have the upgraded parts.
A decent shop will know enough to flush the lines but mention it anyway.

Quote:
I didn't measure but I'd guess about 3/4 of an inch high on the dipstick.

I would have the fluid tested to see if it contains any glycol to make sure you don't also have a perforated cooler in the radiator before a rebuild is done.

Out of interest what is the maintenance history for the ATX?

When was it's last fluid change? Was it partial or complete and what was used?

When did you last check the level?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
put some Lucas trans fix in. That might wake it up.

Not usually the best advice but since it's toast why not.

+1 that is what I do.

It helped my grandmother get 5,000 more miles out of a dying transmission. She had a Chrysler T&C van.

Yeah long enough to drive it to the shop and avoid the cost of a tow.

Originally Posted By: Doog

That's exactly what the trans shop told me 9 years ago when my 86 Chrysler turbo fwd started slipping bad in first. The car wouldn't move until it revved up and then would slam in gear. The Shop wanted to rebuild it. I used Gunk Transmedic, $4 and it is still running today. Haven't needed to try Lucas or a trans shop.

I also have an an 05 4t65e-HD in a V8 fwd Grand Prix GXP, running Dex III. No problems with it at all. It's all about maintenance, and not abusing. Not worried about it, and I ignore what the transmission repair places say.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741

That's exactly what the trans shop told me 9 years ago when my 86 Chrysler turbo fwd started slipping bad in first. The car wouldn't move until it revved up and then would slam in gear. The Shop wanted to rebuild it. I used Gunk Transmedic, $4 and it is still running today. Haven't needed to try Lucas or a trans shop.

I also have an an 05 4t65e-HD in a V8 fwd Grand Prix GXP, running Dex III. No problems with it at all. It's all about maintenance, and not abusing. Not worried about it, and I ignore what the transmission repair places say.

Uh, I think you may be the luckiest guy on the planet then...

I also have an an 05 4t65e-HD in a V8 fwd Grand Prix GXP

Huge difference between the 05 HD and the 2001 non HD unit. The 05 had all the hardware "fixes" and is a much stronger unit.
The 01 had the non hardened 4th gear input shaft just for a start. 130K without losing 4th gear is doing good for these pre 04 units, that failure alone put it in the needs a rebuild category.

Quote:

Maybe, it is the original trans-axel with 245,000 miles on it. My point was sometimes there is an alternative to a rebuild. Unless something broke, a shift kit or some fluid modifications may keep it going. Unfortunately if someone stops at a transmission shop they are almost always quoted a rebuild or replace. I like saving money.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

There are a lot of us getting "lucky". It worked in my vette that wouldn't even go into gear and has been shifting fine for 6 years. Just recently it worked for a forum member.

I see bottles of Lucas trans fix at the drugstore. Someone must be buying it.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

I don't think much of Lucas products in general, and very few of my transmission problems were ever 'fixed' by a mechanic in a bottle.

But if the only alternative is a rebuild and you don't want to do that, then why not? You certainly have nothing to lose!

Trav, I drive my 2002 4T65e around in 3rd gear everywhere. Do you think that's a bad idea? I avoid the 4th gear shift which can be rough as is with the max adapt code which I haven't fixed yet.

I agree, Lucas products are bottom of the barrel.
What they count on is people desperate for a miracle,
I would bet that 98% of the people that buy that Lucas junk are wasting their money.

Is there some kind of money back guarantee that Lucas offers if their product doesn't work? .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back