Need new push mower...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to know on the Craftsman. The first one I had, my dad bought some time around 1977. I used to mow our own yard, then I would push it around the neighborhood and mow other lawns for sweet moolah. I was 12. I think that thing saw 3 or 4 lawns a week during the season. When I left home, I inherited it. I used it for a few more years, gave it to my brother-in-law and then bought my current Craftsman. Anyway, it lived 25+ years and could still be running somewhere today for all I know.

This second Craftsman has been a good mower, lasting 20+ years. It was strong and quiet. Right now I don't know what problem it has, perhaps the coil. But I've got the itch to just buy a new one (probably another brand) which will hopefully last me into my 70's. (I'm 48.) Three mowers over a lifetime? I'll take it. (Yeah, currently I have a rider as well, but I have a LOT of lawn.)

I have a question about self-propulsion. My current mower has it, my old-old mower never did. But the thing about it is, you have to use it. The front wheels don't spin freely if the self-propulsion is not engaged. It can be pushed, but it's like pushing it through sand.

Anyway, I'm no wimp, I have no trouble pushing a mower as long as the wheels spin. I *want* exercise (or perhaps, I need it).

Do all self-propulsion systems work this way, such that you have to use them? Right now I'm thinking of getting a really high quality Honda or Briggs engined mower without propulsion.

I have had 2 mowers with front wheel drive and I like being able to tilt up the front wheels swing it around and do the next pass.

One was a Craftsman that lasted 10+ years. My ex-wife said she lost it.

I have an Airens that is 3 or 4 years old and doing fine. it has the Kohler Courage engine. Great engine in my opinion. There were some factory problems with the carb, but I got them to send me a new one at no cost.

I have never used a rear wheel drive. I probably mow 60 minutes/week in the summer.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3213014/1

Check out my craigslist score post from several months ago. Front drivers use low quality transmissions and plastic wheels - avoid them if possible. Look for an aluminum deck toro or a snapper ninja/high vac. They are 30 year mowers with regular maintenance.

If it has a Kohler engine, avoid it like the plague. I would also avoid the regular Toro Recyclers (steel deck). I've worked on several last year and they were just junk. The aluminum deck toro mowers are 10x the quality.

The older craftsman mowers were ok, the newer ones last 5 years. The quality has dropped so far it's embarrassing .

I have two mowers with Kohlers Scotts circa 2001, Husquanva 2012) and no issues. I also have two regular Toro's. The Toro are still better than others with thinner cheaper decks but the run fine. I do not do anything except change oil and filter each season.

Ours is one of those Yard Machines from Lowes.

Briggs 6.5 engine and front wheel drive with the larger wheels in the back. It has held up very well the last 7 years of rough use. We have a nasty hill that it does wonders on compared to our Lawn Boy with the same sized wheels in the rear and rear wheel drive.

I have a personal pace toro. I absolutely love it. Find a used one craigslist and you'll be good to go!

Originally Posted By: crw
I have a question about self-propulsion. My current mower has it, my old-old mower never did. But the thing about it is, you have to use it. The front wheels don't spin freely if the self-propulsion is not engaged. It can be pushed, but it's like pushing it through sand.

Anyway, I'm no wimp, I have no trouble pushing a mower as long as the wheels spin. I *want* exercise (or perhaps, I need it).

Do all self-propulsion systems work this way, such that you have to use them? Right now I'm thinking of getting a really high quality Honda or Briggs engined mower without propulsion.

The Snappers will freewheel without the self propel engaged and is very smooth. In fact, I forgot about this feature when I mowed my lawn yesterday and I had to chase the mower down the incline driveway when I inadvertently walked away from it.

My Toro super recyclers will also free wheel, although it is not as smooth as the Snapper mower.

Originally Posted By: MKZman
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3213014/1

Check out my craigslist score post from several months ago. Front drivers use low quality transmissions and plastic wheels - avoid them if possible. Look for an aluminum deck toro or a snapper ninja/high vac. They are 30 year mowers with regular maintenance.

If it has a Kohler engine, avoid it like the plague. I would also avoid the regular Toro Recyclers (steel deck). I've worked on several last year and they were just junk. The aluminum deck toro mowers are 10x the quality.

The older craftsman mowers were ok, the newer ones last 5 years. The quality has dropped so far it's embarrassing .

I have two mowers with Kohlers Scotts circa 2001, Husquanva 2012) and no issues. I also have two regular Toro's. The Toro are still better than others with thinner cheaper decks but the run fine. I do not do anything except change oil and filter each season.

I was referring to the Kohler push mower engines. They ALL are made in China, and they ALL have problems, some sooner, some later. The carb's are low quality junk. The auto choke frequently needs work/replaced. They are also low on power and the RPM is way too low from the factory. One would be much better off with a Briggs or Honda.

The larger Kohler rider mower engines are OK.

Well I despise FWD, a good RWD model will mow rings around them...

I favor the Snappers, drive system allows releasing clutch and pull back with ease... Because they have a REAL differential, can also mow in circles if one desires with power applied...

I traded a POS FWD Craftsman for a much older Snapper just to have it for parts... At seven years the deck was showing signs of rust out and a second of similar vintage I was also given, had holes in the deck one could stick their fingers in... That one did have a nice Honda engine that I mounted on one of my thirty year old Snappers...

Originally Posted By: crw

My Honda moves pretty smoothly when the propulsion is not engaged. One thing that helped was removing the wheels and related parts, cleaning all of the garbage out of there, and then lubricating the parts. A tremendous amount of junk was in there.

I have a newer Snapper FWD high rear wheel mower w/B&S 7.25 engine. It was about 300 bucks new. It works very well, but had one of the rear wheels replaced under the 2 yr warranty because it broke at the hub (spokes broke, replaced w/upgraded wheel).

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I have a newer Snapper FWD high rear wheel mower w/B&S 7.25 engine. It was about 300 bucks new. It works very well, but had one of the rear wheels replaced under the 2 yr warranty because it broke at the hub (spokes broke, replaced w/upgraded wheel).

Sorry but that ain't a REAL Snapper, just a model to be competitive with the other low priced FWD models sold by the big box stores... Snapper refused to build such models for years but finally caved do to competition... A few years back, CEO of Snapper told the same at Walmart to kiss off when they wanted such a model...

Real RWD Snappers start about $600/$700...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back