MMO before 2600 mile trip - Toyota 3MZFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40

I have a 2005 Sienna with the 3MZFE and 183500 miles. I do 5k OCI's with my free G-Oil 5w30 and the UOA's have been pretty good.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...200#Post2891657

We're taking the van to Florida, leaving today, and will put 2600+ miles on it round trip. That will put me about 1000 miles over my normal OCI.

Anyhow have about 1/2 gallon of MMO onhand and thought of running some of it in the crankcase on the tail end of the OCI. Unfortunately the baffles prevent seeing into the valve train, so I wouldn't be able to do a before/after photo. I am willing to do a UOA and share it when I get back to see how the MMO affected the oil.

The van does not consume any oil, I always extract 5 quarts with my Pella every change. I am wondering how much MMO to put in, and when. We stop overnight in Tennessee after driving 650 miles per day, perhaps run the MMO for the last 650 miles? I also have plenty of QS and Puro Classic filters, I can easily change the filter before leaving, or in the Tennessee parking lot.

Thanks!

We do 6000-7000 mile intervals in my wife's Maxx per the OLM.

6,000 miles with a long highway trip is fine. Change it when you get back. Don't worry about the MMO.

Going with a 6k OCI should be no problem in this case due to the fact that it is practically all highway for these last 2,600 miles. Many folks run MMO for a full OCI without any problems and I have toyed with the idea of using it to top off the 1 qt I am generally down 2-3k before the end of my OCI rather than adding another qt of oil. If you are not down any oil, I probably would not drain/extract some in order to run the MMO in the crankcase. Instead, maybe use 1/2 to 1 qt at the beginning of your next OCI and top off with the G-Oil as some of the MMO flashes off.

All that being said, I have never run MMO in the crankcases of any of my vehicles but may do so some day.

I'll take the flip side since others warned against it.
27.gif
Having used the product for close to 40 years, it won't hurt for the last leg of the trip. If you suspect the engine needs a little cleaning I'd do it. With 183k+ miles you might need some cleaning. I'd try and run it for 1,000 miles if possible.

I'm with demarpaint....

I've run 10-20% MMO in my truck for the past 30k miles...non-stop. It runs just fine.

I've ran full 7k OCI's in my 2000 Altima (I just sold her) and it never did a bit of harm.

MMO is a fairly good cleaner. I'd run it with confidence.

With phishin and dermapaint.
It's all highway miles so I think it is the ideal conditions to use the stuff for a cleaning phase.
Worst case scenario is you change the oil at a quick lube or something right.

I have used MMO for more years than I can count.

20% MMO 80% of your regular motor oil. Do not overfill.

I have seen first hand what it can do in aircraft engines and vehicle engines.

I use in @ 3 to 4 oz per 10 gallons of gasoline too in both my and my wife's vehicles. Have done that for years and years too.

You never gave a reason for why you think you need to use MMO except that you have it on hand.

Is there something that needs to be cleaned that is preventing your engine from running well?

G Oil is already very good at cleaning as it has esters.

Another recommendation for you is that if your drain pan was not designed for top extraction or if there has been any build up in the past, there may be deposits at the bottom if your oil pan which the extractor does not pick up. You may be due for a regular oil drain from the pan.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS

This idea is beat. (In a mocking voice): "G Oil is already very good at cleaning as it has esters." LOL.

Well, you know what's better at cleaning crud out of your engine better than esters, esters AND MMO....at the same time!! Oh no....the sky is falling!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin

This idea is beat. (In a mocking voice): "G Oil is already very good at cleaning as it has esters." LOL.

I don't understand what you mean by "beat". Can you clarify?

It is well known that oils are formulated to keep clean and in some cases can also clean up.

The OP has not given any reason to use an additive. He even says he has no consumption, his UOAs are good and has not reported any mechanical concerns and is planning a long trip so does not seem worried.

Why the rush to use additives in this scenario? What leads you to believe he has "crud" to remove?

OP, Blackstone felt you could go to 7k on this oil. So being at 6k after this trip seem doable.

Also, at 5k miles your viscosity was at the lower end for a 30 weight. MMO will take this lower so if viscosity concerns you, bear that in mind.

I see no reason for you to use MMO in the crankcase. Your 5k mile oil change appear conservative so have most likely been doing a good job of keeping things clean eg you have no consumption at almost 200k miles.

If you want to put it in go right ahead. But why?

You don't *need* it. It isn't going to do anything that your 5K oil changes haven't

Skip it and enjoy the trip.

e40 the guy to talk to about MMO is probably demarpaint. He has about 40 years of using it. Just don't use more than about 20%-25% MMO. 75% to 80% should be motor oil.

Another cleaning product that quite a few guys have tried here is Kreen. Maybe the best guy to talk to about that is Trav.

Originally Posted By: e40
I have a 2005 Sienna with the 3MZFE and 183500 miles. I do 5k OCI's with my free G-Oil 5w30 and the UOA's have been pretty good. We're taking the van to Florida, leaving today, and will put 2600+ miles on it round trip. That will put me about 1000 miles over my normal OCI.

No problem in going over your OCI. You're taking good care of the vehicle - an extra thousand miles won't matter.

Anyhow have about 1/2 gallon of MMO on hand and thought of running some of it in the crankcase on the tail end of the OCI. Unfortunately the baffles prevent seeing into the valve train, so I wouldn't be able to do a before/after photo. I am willing to do a UOA and share it when I get back to see how the MMO affected the oil.

I like and use MMO, but rarely for cleaning the inside of an engine. On a few odd occasions, I've encountered an engine which has had really wretched care - infrequent oil changes, poor maintenance. Adding a quart of MMO (or Techron or just about anything) to the oil for a thousand miles helps clean out the crud. But, BUT, if you change your oil and filter regularly, your engine is clean. The MMO won't hurt, but probably won't do much either.

Have you considered adding the MMO to your gasoline? Add a pint (or slightly less) at each fill-up. Keep accurate gas mileage records - miles driven / fuel consumed. You could keep records on your gasoline credit card receipts. You might be pleasantly surprised. For the trip you are planning, you should be using about 5 pints total (2.6 quarts according to the MMO folks). I think you will get more benefit that way than putting it in your oil.

Techron is best in gasoline but don't use it during long trips. The consumer cycle is best.

Wouldn't use MMO in the gas as it has oil which is not cat friendly. Techron is approved and works best.

Have you considered adding the MMO to your gasoline? Add a pint (or slightly less) at each fill-up.

A pint at each fill up may be too much for OP's tank. MMO recommends the initial dose at a ratio of 4 ounces per each 10 gallons of fuel in a full tank. So for example if OP has a 20 gallon tank, he should add 8 ounces of MMO to the tank first then fill the tank. Then at each subsequent fill up he should only add at a 4 ounces to 10 gallon ratio but only for the amount of gas it takes to fill the tank. If he fills up around the 1/4 tank mark, roughly 15 gallons on his 20 gallon tank, he should only add about 6 ounces of MMO. These figures are just hypothetical for use as examples only, OP will need to figure the right dose for his tank.

It is important to point out here that more is not always good when using MMO. I use MMO in my gas at each fill up and I played around with the dose and found that a little less is much better than a little more. It may take some experimenting for OP to find the right dose but a pint at each fill up is way too much and could have a detrimental effect on power and MPG. OP should also be aware he may not see any improvement in power or MPG with the first dose of MMO. It may take several tanks of gas treated with MMO before he starts to notice any improvement, however some MMO users notice improvement right away.

OP's 2600 mile trip would be an ideal time to start using MMO in the fuel. As others have said here, OP may be pleasantly surprised. Just remember, you have to be consistent with MMO, use it in each tank to get the best results.

Wouldn't use MMO in the gas as it has oil which is not cat friendly.

Say what?!?

From the FAQ on MMO's website:

Originally Posted By: http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/
Will MMO cause any damage to oxygen sensors, fuel sensors or catalytic converters?
No. MMO has undergone rigorous testing to ensure the safety of all internal components in your vehicle including highly-sensitive oxygen sensors, fuel sensors and catalytic converters.

Even if you don't believe their FAQ, MMO is not a motor oil and it burns clean, from all of the info I have ever read.

Techron is approved and works best.

MMO is usually used in the gas as an upper cylinder lubricant and to keep things clean and pretty much everybody on this board agrees that Techron is among the best PEA based fuel system cleaners, but I don't think Techron is an upper cylinder lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back