Next-generation Tundra to get cummins diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it is as ugly as can be. Too bad it isnt an I6, why they need to make these engines as V8s I dont quite understand...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
And it is as ugly as can be. Too bad it isnt an I6, why they need to make these engines as V8s I dont quite understand...

Who know for sure.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Who know for sure.

Well I imagine they know it is a V8 vs an I6. I just dont get why they go for V8? Is it stupid consumerism that 8 is better than 6, or is it hood length (wouldnt think so on a full size truck)?

I just like inline engines personally.

Because V8 Tonka Truck. 'Murica. I6s are for Asians.

this is excellent news. Cummins Rams as-is has the lions share of the market and ridiculously old examples have stupid high resale value. There will be hope in 10 years that diesel trucks become affordable to us plebs.

Originally Posted By: typ901
V8 for packaging? Shorter than I-6?

This is likely it. The engine bay is plenty wide enough to handle a V8, but putting in an I6 would require it to be longer.

Wide engine bay, but I wouldn't call it long. I'm sure there are pics on the web, if not I'll take some this weekend. There's a fair amount of space between radiator and grill, and then it's still a mechanical fan, so it is not particularly long.

On a different forum it was pointed out that Toyota makes a pretty good 4.5L for down under. Granted it'd be considered underpowered at 202hp/317ft-lb in a 5,000lb plus truck; but I'd think it'd be a sweet setup with a proper 6 speed manual... I'm sure they could eek out what, 3 sales with a setup like that? me, someone else, and ... Problem is, it'd have a 3k tow rating then, since it's hp that allows one to fly up hills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VD_Engine

Maybe that 4.5L in the first gen Tundra, that might have been a nice setup.

While I want to be a Toyota fanboi and believe that all the issues will be ironed out, and it'll be a 500kmile motor... well wait, it's not a Toyota motor going into the truck, it's a Cummins. I don't follow big rig trucks, but it seems that when a maker wanders outside their typical boundaries there always is teething issues. I guess we'll wait and see, as always. Despite owning a diesel car, at the moment I'm not really in the diesel camp, mostly based upon TCO. Even if I much prefer a diesel ride.

I'm not a fan of the so-called third gen Tundra. I much more prefer my simpler older second gen, even if it's oversized and undercapable.

I will be happy when all these new trucks stop trying to out ugly each other. Geez that's a terrible looking machine.

Interesting that you will be able to get a Cummins in a Dodge, Nissan and a Toyota!

Cummins is really pimping around their new light duty diesel.

Maybe one day I'll be able to buy a diesel in a base half ton instead of a $50k look at me tonka truck.

I still think the 4 cylinder Cummins that Nissan had in their show truck would be amazing in a base 2014 Silverado for around $22k sicker, hint GM, hint GM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Maybe one day I'll be able to buy a diesel in a base half ton instead of a $50k look at me tonka truck.

I still think the 4 cylinder Cummins that Nissan had in their show truck would be amazing in a base 2014 Silverado for around $22k sicker, hint GM, hint GM.

I think so too, but doubt it will happen.

these full-size Toyota trucks are the ugliest trucks on the road!!! I like the tacomas but these suck. don't matter what they put in it I will never buy one of them

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

About 6-7 years ago, GM had a light duty V8 diesel, but they scraped it before they ever produced it. They might be bringing it back.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevy-silverado-1500-gmc-sierra-1500-to-get-diesel-option.html

Is the diesel for better mpg, or higher towing, or both?

I wouldnt mind a big pickup that could push 25-30 mpg, if that is even possible. Diesel electric hybrid?

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Is the diesel for better mpg, or higher towing, or both?

I wouldnt mind a big pickup that could push 25-30 mpg, if that is even possible. Diesel electric hybrid?

RAM 1500 already has a pickup with a estimated fuel economy of 25MPG highway in its 3.6 V6 and 8 speed auto.

And that's the rub. The fuel economy numbers we are hearing for these diesels is not extraordinarily higher than that of some of the gas powered trucks. Given the generally substantially higher initial purchase price of the diesel, plus the significant extra cost of diesel fuel (gas is currently around 3.52 a gallon, diesel is around 3.86 a gallon - about 10% a gallon higher on average), payback is going to be an issue unless placed in the right duty cycle.

I was once on this bandwagon - give me a mid-range hp diesel motor with decent torque (call it a mid range power option) with substantially higher fuel mileage and I'd bite. Then gas and diesel prices flip flopped so diesel is higher priced (and has been for years here), and gas rigs have steadily been doing better at fuel mileage, while diesel options have struggled now that they are saddled with all the emissions gear... and well, now I'm not sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back