Son of Dexos coming 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Something about this just rubs me the wrong way
I guess I will never buy GM

When you buy a GM product you don't have to sign an agreement to drink the DexCool-ade.

The spokesman for the 2015 Dexos 1 program will be a cartoon mechanic called "DexTer DexTerous". For those who refuse to honor the program, the Dex is stacked. GM expects all hands on Dex. Personally I find the whole thing Dexpicable.

I have been outspoken about Dexos... as it only helps GM bottom line and not the consumer. No doubting that Dexos might be a higher spec than API or ILSAC, but is it worth giving GM money if you own a Ford, Toyota, or pre-2011 GM for an oil of your choice.

If they are going to come out with a son-of-a-dexos spec, are they actually going to publish what that spec or are we going to be left in the dark about how many parts-per-million unicorn tears are required.

If SN (or SM/SL) is such a "low" standard that even "cheap" dino oils can attain, why is oil-related engine failures by conventional oil users extremely rare? Heck, I see plenty of conventional Valvoline/Castrol/WPP users with extremely long OCI, high miles, and with the exception of a little varnish, their engines are still running strong.

With the oil-life monitors... I would be weary of GM about those since they fudged them a bit. Heck, I don't trust my Honda OLM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
SN is a very easy spec to meet. Cheap dino all the way up to the best synthetics both can and do have SN on the label.
Dexos replaced GM 4718 the corvette/high performance spec so with Dexos you are getting an oil that is approved for protecting the most expensive Corvette engine in the least expensive 4 banger offered globally.

It makes me uneasy that the same oil that's spec'd for puttering around at 50mph is also spec'd worldwide and may be used in sustained high speed driving in Germany or for track use anywhere.

But I fully admit I don't know everything there is to know about Dexos, so I could be mistaken. However, if I'm mistaken, I'd bet there are many others that are too. "I can put any Dexos oil in my Vette or CTS-V and run hot laps with no problem."

IOW, I am not confident that all dexos oils meet the needs of all engines in all driving conditions. The dexos label provides a false sense of security, at least for those who are outliers.

On the flip side, for a typical American commuter that does not race, drive at high rates of speed, or operate their vehicle on a severe schedule, dexos oils may be a waste of money. There are plenty of good convention oils that are dexos licensed that would be fine for such 'normal' use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: strat81

However, if I'm mistaken, I'd bet there are many others that are too. "I can put any Dexos oil in my Vette or CTS-V and run hot laps with no problem."

If that's what your Vette or CTS-V calls for and GM warranties the engine, what's the problem? I'd be more concerned using an oil they don't approve and running hot laps. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If that's what your Vette or CTS-V calls for and GM warranties the engine, what's the problem? I'd be more concerned using an oil they don't approve and running hot laps. JMO

Up until recently with some very specific models, GM would not warranty track-use failures.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Up until recently with some very specific models, GM would not warranty track-use failures.

Which is why I was careful with my wording of that.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
I really like the simplicity of Dexos ......

GM is aiming for just that sort of person:

Lol. This is a very good point..

I will say its nice to have on the Pennzoil synthetic blend oil though. Knowing you have a 50/50 blend for only a few more dollars (than PYB) is quite assuring. Do we know the synthetic % of say Valvoline Maxlife, QS Defy or T5? Theoretically it could be anything I'd imagine..

Last edited:
It makes me uneasy that the same oil that's spec'd for puttering around at 50mph is also spec'd worldwide and may be used in sustained high speed driving in Germany or for track use anywhere.

Things change. Todays oils are not the same as they were even 10 years ago, lot of Opels and Fords run on the Autobahn every day for years on 5w30 without any lubrication problem.
If its good enough for an LS7 or LS9 its good enough for an Opel 1.4 or 2.0 regardless of how high it revs.

A few years ago i would agree with you 100% but like i said things change. Todays commercially available retail oils have never been better.
I believe GM when they say the Dexos spec is that good, after all its them that will have to foot the bill if it isn't.

Some people like to spread false information to convince others that the spec has no validity and is just a money grab. Nothing could be further from the truth.
All the ranting about the licensing fee cant change the fact this is a good spec and a very easy way to implement it to drivers that can just about manage to find the dipstick.

If you like the fact that GM sells the license or not is irrelevant to the performance of the oil spec and the ease it can be located on the retail shelf.

The problem with Dexos is that it is a secret spec combined with a license fee.

For example, here is a breakdown of what API and ILSAC requires across a range:
http://www.api.org/certification-pr...esel/Whats-New/1509-Technical-Bulletin-1.ashx
*warning, it does not give just the current spec but the older specs too.

Do what is Dexos other than a claim "higher standard". It is such a mystery that some labeled could not actually meet Dexos and we have no way to confirm or deny that.

If GM is going to charge for a requirement... make it an openly know requirement. That is the least they could do as a thoughtful consumer could compare test information about an oil (with or without the dexos label) and decide which is best for them.

Last edited:
My 2013 Silverado, the manual states dexos1 or equivalent. So I generally don't waste any time or sleep worrying about if a motor oil is on the "approved" list. The one I use claims to meet the spec, though it is not on the list. And that is fine with me. As to whether it is right, wrong, or somewhere in between for GM to get a royalty fee out of an oil that is on the "approved" list really doesn't mean much. Heck, Mobil has to pay a royalty to NASCAR to have that "official oil" branding on it's products. No different with some other product being the "official" product of whatever organization.

Just one of the things unique to Dexos spec.
Quote:
The GM dexos oil has one spec that ILSAC and API labeled oils do not have. This is quite important! That dexos requirement is for better resistance to aeration, which is the whipping of air bubbles into the oil. Engines with variable valvetrain (variable camshaft timing) technology use engine oil as a hydraulic fluid to move components in the engine, i.e., hydraulic lifters.

If air bubbles are in the oil, the lifters will not act as fast as the engine controllers expect. On the mild end, this can limit engine performance and economy. On the extreme end, this slow response can throw a MIL or DTC check engine code. Chevy, Dodge and Ford police vehicles all use engines with a variable valvetrain timing!

For all practical purposes, put Mobil 1 in all GM police vehicles. The use of synthetic oil has always been a good match for how we use our vehicles. Now, according to GM, it is a requirement.

http://www.hendonpub.com/police_fleet_manager/articles/2012/1112/dexos1_motor_oil_required

Quote:
Key differences between dexos1™ and ILSAC GF-5/API SN are:

GM Proprietary Test: Opel RNT and Opel OP-1

Includes ACEA Engine Tests: TU5JP, TU3MS and M271SL

Higher Seq. IIIG Weighted Piston Demerit requirement: 4.5 vs. 4.0

Higher Seq. VG sludge requirements: AES 8.3 vs 8.0, RCS 8.5 vs 8.3

Lower Noack Volatility: 13% vs 15%

Better Shear Stability: Requires passing the Bosch Injector
Shear Stability Test

http://www.mfaoil.com/images/E0138901/dexos.pdf

And Dexos vs GF-5

http://www.pceo.com/101510_EO_PV1202_AR.pdf

However, if I'm mistaken, I'd bet there are many others that are too. "I can put any Dexos oil in my Vette or CTS-V and run hot laps with no problem."

Under warranty, a blown engine is an inconvenience.

Out of warranty, a blown engine can cost big $$$$.

Things change. Todays oils are not the same as they were even 10 years ago, lot of Opels and Fords run on the Autobahn every day for years on 5w30 without any lubrication problem.
If its good enough for an LS7 or LS9 its good enough for an Opel 1.4 or 2.0 regardless of how high it revs.

A few years ago i would agree with you 100% but like i said things change. Todays commercially available retail oils have never been better.
I believe GM when they say the Dexos spec is that good, after all its them that will have to foot the bill if it isn't.

You (and GM) may be right.

But compared to other high-end specs like BMW LL-01 and Honda HTO-06, Dexos seems weak.

*shrug*

Many Dexos approved oils also meet other specs like HTO-6.
Some German/Euro cars like BMW and MB use oils with a higher min HTHS. Its not better or worse it depends on how the engine was built.
GM has had great success globally with 5w30, they build the engines to run on that viscosity.
That is not to say they wont run well on alternative viscosities which may be spec for different climates eg extreme hot or extreme cold climates or due to availability.

Quote:
Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Ford WSS-M2C929-A

Mobil 1 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ dexos1 logo
Honda / Acura HTO-06

Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring:
General Motors 4718M
General Motors 6094M

Require an oil with a transparent standard?
Sure.
Require an oil with an opaque standard and a logo the blender has to pay for?
Cash grab, pure and simple.
Nothing wrong with GM setting an oil spec.
Everything wrong with GM not publishing the spec and charging a royalty on every quart for the lame logo.
Mercedes doesn't do this, VAG doesn't do this and BMW doesn't do this.
Why should lowly GM?
I'm quite sure that any oil carrying the Dexos logo is a good oil.
The thing is, many others are as well and without some recognized spec, like A3/B4, buyers are left in the dark as to what is really required.
Pay GM or you can't have an oil meeting the spec?
Ludicrous!

This is really a good thing overall, I think. We're getting to the point where brand no longer matters because the specs are now so demanding and synthetics are becoming so common that all the companies are now offering "top tier" oils. And they all perform very similarly. It's mostly all marketing.

10 years ago or so, it was Mobil 1 or a very average synthetic and below average regular API conventional oils. So the gap has closed significantly.. All of the companies are fighting to differentiate their products with 50 tiers. It's becoming riiiiidiculous. But that's how it works.

Consumers will often go with what is the least expensive. If I'm an automotive company and concerned about the reliability of the engines we produce, I'd rather see the bar raised. Especially considering the pressure coming from regulators with CAFE etc.

The GM dexos oil has one spec that ILSAC and API labeled oils do not have. This is quite important! That dexos requirement is for better resistance to aeration, which is the whipping of air bubbles into the oil. Engines with variable valvetrain (variable camshaft timing) technology use engine oil as a hydraulic fluid to move components in the engine, i.e., hydraulic lifters.

Which is?

Quote:
Key differences between dexos1™ and ILSAC GF-5/API SN are:

GM Proprietary Test: Opel RNT and Opel OP-1

Includes ACEA Engine Tests: TU5JP, TU3MS and M271SL

Higher Seq. IIIG Weighted Piston Demerit requirement: 4.5 vs. 4.0

Higher Seq. VG sludge requirements: AES 8.3 vs 8.0, RCS 8.5 vs 8.3

Lower Noack Volatility: 13% vs 15%

Better Shear Stability: Requires passing the Bosch Injector
Shear Stability Test

OK, we are kinda getting some information, but not much. Still a really murky area. Volatility is the only metric that is commonly available. ILSAC Gl-5 varies from 7.5 to 8.9. The piston varnish would be 7.5 but average engine would be 8.0 for sludge 8.9 for varnish, rockers are 8.3. More data please

See, numbers are useful. If we had the full breakdown of Dexos, then we could compare ILSAC/API against Dexos... rather than depend on non-scale graphs.

---

On a side note,is it just me or did the older 4718M seem to have a higher "tier" of oil choices than Dexos. Sure API and ILSAC standards have jumped and conventionals have gotten better but it seemed like 4718M was more exclusive

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sure.
Everything wrong with GM not publishing the spec and charging a royalty on every quart for the lame logo.
Why should lowly GM?
The thing is, many others are as well and without some recognized spec, like A3/B4, buyers are left in the dark as to what is really required.
Ludicrous!

Agree

And I wonder if in a roundabout way it violates that Moss Magnussen Act?

After all you are required to buy an oil that profits the car manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sure.
Why should lowly GM?
Ludicrous!

Agree

And I wonder if in a roundabout way it violates that Moss Magnussen Act?

After all you are required to buy an oil that profits the car manufacturer.

Agree overall

They get around it by allowing other oil companies to license their product. So they are not forcing the consumer to by a specific brand or their brand. To them, the are offering the consumer a "choice" and that kinda gets around it. Still not in the spirit of the law IMO.

However, it is their burden proof to say you did not meet their specs. So, there is that loophole that as long as you use an oil that meets the specs of Dexos, then it is fine (even if it is not Dexos licensed) however, because they keep that spec secret, then it makes it a big murky mess that the consumer might not easily be able to know beforehand.

For example, "Supertech Syn" (our favorite non-Dexos debate brand) could potentially meet Dexos standards (It's NOACK is meets the Dexos standard btw) but without knowing those "proprietary" tests GM uses, we dont know for certain. So, logically, we can neither confirm nor deny that any non-dexos labeled oil meets Dexos spec. Because it is a license and has that "payment" attached to it, no-one knows if the non-labeled oils are less than spec or that the blender/oil just did not pay the fee.

Shame that GM "bought back" the government's stake because it would have been interesting to use FOIA to dig out the Dexos standards (but I doubt that would fly anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back