Thickest oil for leaking EJ25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Thanks man. Im goin to try 10w-40. Thanks for not ripping me a new one for not wanting to get it fixed. I want a 2011 Outback. Im going to get one next year if everything goes to plan.

No worries. I get the repair vs "car goals" argument. I would try and track it down as if it is minor, it might be worth fixing but if it is major and you have to do a lot of other things, I get not investing into a car. If it is a small, easier-fix leak, then when you decide to sell it, you might get a little more (not much) for it.

I had to put new tires on it. Aslong as I get that investment back ($275) ill be happy. I can get that much junking it lol.

My wife hates it and hates that i bought it.

happy wife, happy life.

sell it to me, $500 cash. thx
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Dupree
also hating bp for leaking oil everywhere and not saying sorry, and running a car leaking oil everywhere seems counterproductive

Yep...

Are you sure it's a HG leak, not the valve cover? Regardless, have it fixed instead of risking a worsening leak that may turn a moderate repair into an engine swap. Seriously, get a second opinion and have the work done if recommended by an Indy shop.

Lmao.

Something funny? No offense, but your BP comment, if serious, is ridiculous, as is you trying to cover up what sounds like a massive leak instead of fixing ht problem.

Your oil leak will not get better, except minorly so with different oils. You said yourself that there are huge puddles under your car and that you have to add oil every day, so, um, what don't you get? Unless you give us more reasons to believe it is, I have no reason to believe your car is terminal the point where a HG job isn't cost-beneficial. Seriously, please provide more info as to why your limit for being very pleased is only a year.

Last edited:
If you're adding oil every day that's a lot of oil you're dumping on the road. Could you hang an absorbent mat/diaper under there to reclaim the waste oil?

If you only need the engine for a year, maybe Restore would be worth a shot. Seal swellers in HM oil won't do anything for a head gasket, but maybe metal could? It's a product that has been discussed in these forums and it's supposed to have fine particles of soft metal that people say will clog the pores in oil filter media putting the filter in bypass mode. Maybe it can clog up your leak also?

Are you mechanically inclined at all? I'd just pull the motor and do the head gaskets quick. I had a 02 ej25 that was leaking like yours. I had the motor out, heads planed,new gaskets etc and put back together/back in the car over a weekend.

Easiest motor I have ever pulled. It sits in front of the trans so just some tubing and about 12-14 bolts and it lifts right out. That motor is known for having that issue so their are "how to" guides all over.

If it's leaking that much, put an effing drain pan under it! You're a one man environmental disaster all by yourself. And your complaining about BP (who got illegally taken to the woodshed by the current administration) while doing the exact same thing on a smaller scale is blood pressure raising to say the least.

I don't think BP got taken to the woodshed, I think they were sent to their room, with pizza, an xbox, and a new puppy. I was all about seizing BP's US assets and auctioning/redirecting it to the clean-up and gulf. They would/should not be able to do business in the US till it is cleaned up to pre-spill levels. Sorry, their actions were unacceptable as a foreign company doing business in the US.

But I do agree that fixing the car is a good idea. 98%+ of all oil pollution before the BP oil spill was from terrestrial sources

$21 billion is a new puppy? There was negligence, not malfeasance. They were abused by every scam artist within a 1000 radius of the spill that claimed they were "damaged". BP ultimately became the victim IMO. Yeah, they learned their lesson. And a lot of lawyers got rich. That'll teach those foreign countries to do business in the US.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
$21 billion is a new puppy? There was negligence, not malfeasance. They were abused by every scam artist within a 1000 radius of the spill that claimed they were "damaged". BP ultimately became the victim IMO. Yeah, they learned their lesson. And a lot of lawyers got rich. That'll teach those foreign countries to do business in the US.

The US imposed penalty was only 4.5 Billion.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-...rizon-oil-spill
Any additional "cost" in civil courts are its own problem. They knowingly lied about the spill and containment (or lack of containment). Yes, there was malfeasance. Maybe not in the original action (initial spill) but in the following events. They were caught "littering" and then went on a high-speed chase.

Look at it this way, they were penalized $20 bucks per gallon.

You think that is 4.5B is a lot of money, their 2013 revenue was 400 BILLION, profit is over 23 billion.

You have a HG leak which means coolant is entering the system, sooner or later it will create a Hydrolock and engine will stop.

If you cant afford to fix it for the next 12months and can save for a new car or money to fix it, i would suggest:

Using Steel seal in the coolant and changing your oil every month with the cheapest availible dyno oil as close as possible to the correct grade, also change oil filter every month, go for a cheap oil filter.
Untreated a HG issue will get worse in 3-6months but using the products above you can make it last longer 12-18 months, then sell the car or trade it in.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Ok. I just hope i dont take a noticeable hit to my mpg. It seems to get close to 30 on the highway. Its impressive.

...and you have a leaking head gasket -- talk about misplaced priorities.

It only leaks oil. Atleast for now. No sign of mixing says the dealership mechanic.
smile.gif

Is it losing more than 1/2 a gallon per 700miles? if not why are you worried, the JTS engine on the Alfa romeo 156 uses 1 gallon a month and that is permitted
by Alfa romeo, no matter what oil people try adding. It means the engine has loose piston rings.

Originally Posted By: kalloggs40
You have a HG leak which means coolant is entering the system, sooner or later it will create a Hydrolock and engine will stop.

If you cant afford to fix it for the next 12months and can save for a new car or money to fix it, i would suggest:

Using Steel seal in the coolant and changing your oil every month with the cheapest availible dyno oil as close as possible to the correct grade, also change oil filter every month, go for a cheap oil filter.
Untreated a HG issue will get worse in 3-6months but using the products above you can make it last longer 12-18 months, then sell the car or trade it in.

Bad head gaskets do not always cause loss of coolant, there are two here right now that have gasket blown between cylinders and have zero coolant loss... Yes both run like do-do, but coolant and oil are clean and full...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back