"Quieter" Oil Than Mobil 1 For Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched from Cstrol GTX dino oil in my 2004 Hunday Santa Fe 2.4L manual transmission morotr at 205,000, to Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30.

Since then I've noticed a BIG increase in engine noise. I've read several posts about synthetic oil causing more engine noise, but I'm wondering of any other Hyunday Santa Fe owners out there have experienced the same thing and if there is a "quieter" full synthetic oil that will make our motors purr like a kitten as opposed to being quite noisey. I don't want to change back to dino oil, but the noise is bothering me a lot!

Last edited:
I've tried a few diff oils in y gf's V6 Mustang. Vwb was quiet,M1 was really noisy (she actually noticed it first),Synpower was silent,and the current GTX is the most smooth and quiet. Gonna use Pyb next to continue my experiment. All oils have been 10W30.

The quietest full syn I've run in our KIA was Castrol Edge gold bottle (FST or now Extended Performance). Great stuff, I'll be going back to it as soon as the Pennzoil full syns I bought on deals are used up.

When you say GTX, are you talking about Castrol GTX SynBlend? And are you saying it is quieter and smoother than the Valvoline SynPower? Or that the Valvoline SynPower was MORE silent than that Cstrol GTX SynBlend?

Originally Posted By: Verminator
When you say GTX, are you talking about Castrol GTX SynBlend? And are you saying it is quieter and smoother than the Valvoline SynPower? Or that the Valvoline SynPower was MORE silent than that Cstrol GTX SynBlend?

Just the plain wb GTX dino. Smooth as silk on that oil. Smoother or maybe tied with the Synpower. Those two have been the winners so far. Oci coming up soon,looking forward to the pyb test.

Last edited:
I've seen a number of post on here saying Hyundai/Kia's run nice and quite on QSUD. I'll be trying it out when I finish up my stock of synpower.

Originally Posted By: Texican
I've seen a number of post on here saying Hyundai/Kia's run nice and quite on QSUD. I'll be trying it out when I finish up my stock of synpower.

I have QSUD in all our vehicles right now. Smoothest & quietest oil I've tried. The Hyundai 2.4L in our Sonata is especially sensitive to which oil is used in terms of quietness.

my experiences with Castrol full synthetic and mobil 1 both are a noisy oil"s in my opinion..synpower is quite...of course red line is the ultimate.

Last edited:
I have also noticed that some m1 grades make my engines more noisy however the extra acoustics don't equate to extra wear,so if you like m1 as a brand stay with it.
If it bothers you enough(it bothers me too) then Quaker state ultimate durability runs quiet in my experience as does pennzoil platinum.
I'm not even going to suggest ultra unless you can get it on sale since you're in Canada.
Qsud and pp can be found on sale for 22-24 a jug so watch for sales then stock up.

In my CRV, Mobil 1 made the valvetrain sound like an old sewing machine. This was at least 5 years ago. I have not gone back to Mobil 1 since; however, I have subsequently used Mobil 1 EP and the valvetrain was nice and quiet.

Love all the replies. Keep them coming! Especially if you have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe please!

I'm SO relived to hear that Mobil 1 is "noisey". I thought I was goig craxy! I even brought it into the dealership and they said, yup, it's noisey, but couldn't tell me why.

Clevy, thanks for your replies, it helps having someone in Canada point me in the right direction too. The American responses are awesome too, but we can't always get the same oils here that they have.

So if the Mobil 1 isn't doing any actual damage, I'll keep it in there and use up what I have in stock and so far it looks like this Quaker State Ultimate Durability is the favourite for smooth and quiet huh??

I have some Valvoline SynPower as well that I haven't used that I got on sale at WalMart that I have to use up too...so will give that a try as well.

Thanks so much everyone!

In my Kia 3.5 Sorento some oils are noisy for sure. Best lucky with PP and QS defy for us...

So I'm assuming the Quaker State OIL itself is good...it's just that Quaker State makes [censored] oil filters? I've read a fair amount of bad things on QS filters, right up there in bad with Fram. But the synthetic oil is good?

The M1 police should be along shortly, but I'll give you my take.
I've used a lot of M1 in various grades and flavors over the years and have never found it to be an especially noisy oil in any application.
Still, there are many threads here on how noisy M1 makes an engine and your's is the latest.

Syntec 5W50 is by far the smoothest/most quiet oil I've ever used in my Z. Only wish Walmart sold it in there nice and cheap 5 quart beuauties!

So I'm assuming the Quaker State OIL itself is good...it's just that Quaker State makes [censored] oil filters? I've read a fair amount of bad things on QS filters, right up there in bad with Fram. But the synthetic oil is good?

Last I heard QS oil filters were made by purolator.

What is QSUD? I'm assuming Quaker State....something?
I have QSUD in all our vehicles right now. Smoothest & quietest oil I've tried. The Hyundai 2.4L in our Sonata is especially sensitive to which oil is used in terms of quietness. [/quote]

I agree! Quaker State Ultimate Durability(QSUD) makes my engines very quiet
smile.gif

2010 Hyundai 2.4L currently using PP. Did try a couple fills of Kendall Full synthetic. Seems the PP was a little more quiet by just a little to me, but might be just me.
When I get near the end of a OCI, I change oil and filter (OEM filter) and then more noticeable it's quieter on the fresh fill. Maybe be a little dilution by then.
No matter, the GDI engine is just not the quietest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back