cleaning an oil filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, long story short, if I wanted to cut my filter open to see how much trash it has caught compared to my stainless filter that everyone says don't filter, how would I do so? I've had the stainless one on for 2years now, and everyone has said its really inefficient. IM kinda wanting to cut my fl400s open and see if there's stuff sitting on the pleats.

My stainless one had 3 earth magnets, one was usually full, the 2nd one half full, and the stuff floating around in the gas after I cleaned the filter was pretty little.

Does anyone have an idea how I could do this? Maybe let the oil drain from the canister and soak it in gas?

Last edited:
If you are asking how to cut apart a normal screw-on filter, you can do it with a special filter cutter or hacksaw or cutoff wheels on a air cutoff tool.

Keep in mind some of these options introduce metal bits as part of the cutting or grinding process. The filter cutter does not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leroyd92
So, long story short, if I wanted to cut my filter open to see how much trash it has caught compared to my stainless filter that everyone says don't filter,

If you are trying to prove to yourself that the stainless one filters as efficiently as the factory spec one does you are wasting your time. The stainless filters do not filter particles as small. The mesh lets through larger particles of dirt than the 400 does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
So, long story short, if I wanted to cut my filter open to see how much trash it has caught compared to my st ainless filter that everyone says don't filter,

If you are trying to prove to yourself that the stainless one filters as efficiently as the factory spec one does you are wasting your time. The stainless filters do not filter particles as small. The mesh lets through larger particles of dirt than the 400 does.

My thinking. Seems like the OP is trying to justify his decision,though justification is not necessary. Facts are facts, and you cutting open any filter won't prove a thing. What exactly are you trying to prove?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
So, long story short, if I wanted to cut my filter open to see how much trash it has caught compared to my st ainless filter that everyone says don't filter,

My thinking. Seems like the OP is trying to justify his decision,though justification is not necessary. Facts are facts, and you cutting open any filter won't prove a thing. What exactly are you trying to prove?

I wanna see if my stainless filter left 2 years of [censored] inside my expensive motorcycle engine. And if the 400s is capturing it...

IM sticking up for the paper filters here guys, not trying to say ( it didn't catch nutin ) lol

I'd stick with the stainless steel fishing net.

With all the metal you are seeing, the next time you check it there may be a piston in it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I wanna see if my stainless filter left 2 years of [censored] inside my expensive motorcycle engine. And if the 400s is capturing it...

IM sticking up for the paper filters here guys, not trying to say ( it didn't catch nutin ) lol

What type of bike?

ROD

What type of bike?

ROD [/quote]

07 revtech 110 evo [/quote]

Rev tech eh. I'd use the best possible oil and filters in that engine. From what I've seen and read they aren't that great as far as ability to run many miles.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

What type of bike?

ROD

07 revtech 110 evo [/quote]

Rev tech eh. I'd use the best possible oil and filters in that engine. From what I've seen and read they aren't that great as far as ability to run many miles. [/quote]

07 started the 3rd generation of the motors, the first 2generations were considered garbage but I've heard nothing but good from the few people who ACTUALLY ride the 3rd gen on a regular basis.

I've read all the horror stories about output bearings exploding, engine seizing and other misc stuff happening, most don't have the engine but have "heard" the claims...

Then, you get the guys who have them, use them, run them hard, and don't have issues...

Its lawnmower technology, when it breaks, I'll fix it =)

Not to mention, only god knows how many owners were before me.

Sooooo, I'll run her till she blows. And add compression releases with the bigggger bore kit =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back